Author Topic: Any news on Peace Talks  (Read 174728 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Any news on Peace Talks
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2019, 08:59:10 PM »
Yes, I understand why. Can you believe that we barely study Incan and even Mexico conquest?
UK it's easy because I watch many thins from UK.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 11, 2019, 08:21:09 PM »
(plus all the other stuff just about everyone on this side of he Atlantic will be after their family has been here for several hundred years).
Hate to break it to you, but most of us old worlders are decidedly mixed too ;) I definitely know Dutch and German ancestry (Dutch from all over the country, German from the Rhineland), and probably a few generations further to add UK and French/Belgian. Plus the remainders of Germany :)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2019, 09:19:47 PM »
Not surprised in the least. A few generations back, I had an ancestor who was a Dutch immigrant to England. People have always moved around, and if you start going back more than a couple of generations, you have a lot of ancestors. I just think it happens quicker and more thoroughly over here, but think that might be changing with modern travel technology.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2019, 07:07:04 PM »
Several years later my grandmother decided to she wanted to clear some space and she asked family members if they wanted any old books before she gave them to Goodwill or just threw them away.  I picked out a large World Atlas mostly because it had a large number of great photos in it, but it also told a story because it was published in 1942.  The map of most of Europe was one large Nazi flag.  I don't remember if it was named "German Empire" or "Nazi Occupied Europe."  There was an equally large Japanese Rising Sun flag spread out over a large part of the Pacific Ocean, South East Asia and China labeled "Japanese Empire."  I knew a little about the Second World War, but seeing that book made it much more real for me.  I think that Atlas made me want to learn more about history in general.

Even aside from the interest, that's probably got enough collector's value that it would have been a shame to just discard.

Offline segaily

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2019, 12:28:10 AM »
New update on the Website.  As of February 21st, 2019, the current draft of the novel is up to chapter 45

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2019, 01:06:04 AM »
Closer and closer. Part foreplay and part slow torture.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2019, 04:42:09 AM »
Did we skip/miss an update on 44?

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2019, 08:20:57 AM »
Not that I recall.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 22, 2019, 12:36:21 PM »
Did we skip/miss an update on 44?

As far as I can tell, the was no update for 44. It's fine, Jim is allowed to skip updates  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline segaily

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 22, 2019, 06:12:12 PM »
As far as I can tell, the was no update for 44. It's fine, Jim is allowed to skip updates  :)

His skipping chapter updates now and then is probably a good thing. Hopefully it will prevent anyone ever posting something like why is this chapter taking him so long.   ;D

I really like the updates but I must say I would be enjoying them a lot more if I could read the chapters as he finishes them.  :)

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 23, 2019, 05:39:17 PM »
I really like the updates but I must say I would be enjoying them a lot more if I could read the chapters as he finishes them.  :)

All the beta readers I know say it is much more tortuous waiting between chapters than waiting between books. Think about it this way - how many times have you been reading one of the Dresden Files books, thought to yourself "I will finish this chapter and then go to bed/do whatever" then you get to the end of said chapter and it ends on a cliffhanger? Now imagine you have to wait several weeks or months to get that next chapter instead of just staying up later than you should have.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2019, 10:12:17 PM »
All the beta readers I know say it is much more tortuous waiting between chapters than waiting between books. Think about it this way - how many times have you been reading one of the Dresden Files books, thought to yourself "I will finish this chapter and then go to bed/do whatever" then you get to the end of said chapter and it ends on a cliffhanger? Now imagine you have to wait several weeks or months to get that next chapter instead of just staying up later than you should have.
Ah, but on the other hand how many times have you finished reading the book in a couple of marathon sessions and thought: damn, I wish I could've made that last a bit longer.
Besides, chapter by chapter on a half monthly basis should improve self discipline. :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2019, 05:59:56 AM »
Even aside from the interest, that's probably got enough collector's value that it would have been a shame to just discard.

I still have that 1942 Atlas and it's in good condition.  I have a cousin who chose a first edition (first in English, not French) of the "Story of O" from my grandmother's extra books.  I didn't know what that novel was at the time.

By the way, as of a few days ago, Jim is up to chapter 45.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 06:14:05 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline segaily

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 25, 2019, 05:17:01 PM »
Ah, but on the other hand how many times have you finished reading the book in a couple of marathon sessions and thought: damn, I wish I could've made that last a bit longer.
Besides, chapter by chapter on a half monthly basis should improve self discipline. :D

Exactly.  Reading it a chapter at a time might be torture but it would keep me from staying up all night reading. :)   I am guessing that it would help me slow down and really get all the little details he puts in the first time as well.  It always amazes me how much more I notice on a reread. 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 26, 2019, 12:34:07 PM »
Exactly.  Reading it a chapter at a time might be torture but it would keep me from staying up all night reading. :)   I am guessing that it would help me slow down and really get all the little details he puts in the first time as well.  It always amazes me how much more I notice on a reread.
The problem for the beta readers is that they have to keep secrets. If Peace talks was published as a serial, like a lot of books used to be in the past, we could discuss every chapter here and reread them in all detail. It would be a lot of fun.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]