Author Topic: Any news on Peace Talks  (Read 173613 times)

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Any news on Peace Talks
« Reply #150 on: February 07, 2019, 04:57:05 PM »
So, any news on Peace Talks?

The Upcoming Works page at jim-butcher.com is being updated every couple of weeks with the current chapter of the draft. You could check there.

Offline segaily

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 07, 2019, 05:38:44 PM »
I knew you had the concept of mediation, but I was not sure if my translation of the word "mediación" was accurate, as I am not very used to legalese (in English. In Spanish, I am relatively fluent because I've taken dictations from my dad more than once).

I am not trying to say that you or anyone else is being stupid, and I don't think that is the case. I've known brilliant people here. Nevertheless, I've been telling people that since I've joined this forum and I am not going to stop now. I think most people from USA simply does not realize how colonialist that word sounds for us many of us and I am just trying to make people aware of that. Not stop using the word, of course, but just thinking of it. When someone tries to tell me I don't live in América, it annoys me, I can't help it (I generally say "US citizens" but with another forumite (from USA) we used to jokingly say "USers"). Give me some credit for writing so many posts in English without using "Americans"  :P.

Being honest, what really, really annoys me is when people in my country or other Latin American Countries use "Americano" instead of norteamericano o estadounidense. None of those words is perfect, but it's the correct word and it is not bad for us. When we really want to say "From North America", including México and Canada, we use some expression like "americanos del norte" o "gente de América del Norte". I really wish my own people was not so brainwashed, because as you said, in Spanish we are all "americanos", There are not many Americas, there is only one. That is why there is the OAS, Organization of American States, which does not mean the States of USA but the Countries of America.

As a US citizen who now lives in Canada I quickly noticed after moving that you do not hear American used much.  Canadians usually say the States when talking about the United States or people from the States.  If talking about an individual you often hear Texan, Californian etc or just they are from the States.  I used to use American all the time but now try to avoid it as to my ear it now sounds like I am forgetting the US is not the whole continent.   

To get back to the main topic I am really happy Jim is posting the updates to the page.  I realize that 43 chapters means they is still a bit to go but seeing steady progress has me back to listening to the audio versions of the books in my car again.  With the amount I drive the new book might well be out about the same time as I get through them all again.  :)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2019, 06:13:30 PM »
We live in alternate realities when it comes to sharp implements. 

And I'm from Kentucky, where my sisters next door neighbor has a range in his backyard where he fires multiple weapons using gunpowder. Of course she is in the suburbs.  Shooting a gun in the back yard is illegal inside the urban limit in almost every jurisdiction that I'm aware of.  Even Texas. :)
Urban, suburban, countryside iT does not matter here. Even of you can het a license you have to store your gun and amno in seperate locker containers and you can only shoot at a resignaties shooting range usually a recognised club I believe.

I sometimes watch those clips in YouTube where someone buys a reproducties of a mediëval longsword and tests the sharpness with a piece of paper and continuers to hack in chainmail to see hoe it holds. I just need my knife to cut garlick
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 07, 2019, 06:46:44 PM »
Urban, suburban, countryside iT does not matter here. Even of you can het a license you have to store your gun and amno in seperate locker containers and you can only shoot at a resignaties shooting range usually a recognised club I believe.

I sometimes watch those clips in YouTube where someone buys a reproducties of a mediëval longsword and tests the sharpness with a piece of paper and continuers to hack in chainmail to see hoe it holds. I just need my knife to cut garlick

Ever watch Forge in Fire?  Kind of like Chopped only it is four blade smiths crafting a knife in a designated time.. They then test the blades, it is fascinating to watch for a number of reasons..  Anyway the two finalists are given a challenge to recreate a weapon, anything from sword to cross bow from history across the world.  They are given five days at their home forges to do it, then the weapons are tested..  The kind of damage that those weapons can do up close and personal makes me cringe..  They have also began to uncover mass graves from battle grounds of the Middle Ages. The knight of old went for the legs.... Most of the skeletons of the soldiers either had their bottom legs lopped off or severely damaged in battle..

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 07, 2019, 07:03:06 PM »
Ever watch Forge in Fire?  Kind of like Chopped only it is four blade smiths crafting a knife in a designated time.. They then test the blades, it is fascinating to watch for a number of reasons..  Anyway the two finalists are given a challenge to recreate a weapon, anything from sword to cross bow from history across the world.  They are given five days at their home forges to do it, then the weapons are tested..  The kind of damage that those weapons can do up close and personal makes me cringe..  They have also began to uncover mass graves from battle grounds of the Middle Ages. The knight of old went for the legs.... Most of the skeletons of the soldiers either had their bottom legs lopped off or severely damaged in battle..
Probably because the lege were the most difficult to defend and lees armoured. Or you just make a feint at the leg and when he lift his schield  to defend you hit the leg. All explained on YouTube your indispensable source of you want to know how a Viking would do against a Roman legionary.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2019, 08:40:11 PM »
I knew you had the concept of mediation, but I was not sure if my translation of the word "mediación" was accurate, as I am not very used to legalese (in English. In Spanish, I am relatively fluent because I've taken dictations from my dad more than once).

I am not trying to say that you or anyone else is being stupid, and I don't think that is the case. I've known brilliant people here. Nevertheless, I've been telling people that since I've joined this forum and I am not going to stop now. I think most people from USA simply does not realize how colonialist that word sounds for us many of us and I am just trying to make people aware of that. Not stop using the word, of course, but just thinking of it. When someone tries to tell me I don't live in América, it annoys me, I can't help it (I generally say "US citizens" but with another forumite (from USA) we used to jokingly say "USers"). Give me some credit for writing so many posts in English without using "Americans"  :P.

Being honest, what really, really annoys me is when people in my country or other Latin American Countries use "Americano" instead of norteamericano o estadounidense. None of those words is perfect, but it's the correct word and it is not bad for us. When we really want to say "From North America", including México and Canada, we use some expression like "americanos del norte" o "gente de América del Norte". I really wish my own people was not so brainwashed, because as you said, in Spanish we are all "americanos", There are not many Americas, there is only one. That is why there is the OAS, Organization of American States, which does not mean the States of USA but the Countries of America.

I'm perfectly fine with estadounidense, except I'm not sure I can pronounce it. My point is that we don't have that word in English (except for various slurs), a native language shared by many people who are not Americans (usually the ones coming up with the slurs). It's not an American thing to use the word America(n) that way. It's an English thing. (It all doesn't really matter, and besides, it's not half as annoying as people confusing then and than >:().

The reason it probably annoys me is because every time someone has said it to me, they have had a condescending tone that implied I didn't know geography or history. I've often had a better grasp of history of other people's country than they did. And I've never detected rudeness or condescension from you to anyone.

As a US citizen who now lives in Canada I quickly noticed after moving that you do not hear American used much.  Canadians usually say the States when talking about the United States or people from the States.  If talking about an individual you often hear Texan, Californian etc or just they are from the States.  I used to use American all the time but now try to avoid it as to my ear it now sounds like I am forgetting the US is not the whole continent.

Of course people say they're from Texas. It's clearly the best. Everyone knows God blessed Texas on the eighth day. ;).

And I'm from Kentucky, where my sisters next door neighbor has a range in his backyard where he fires multiple weapons using gunpowder. Of course she is in the suburbs.  Shooting a gun in the back yard is illegal inside the urban limit in almost every jurisdiction that I'm aware of.  Even Texas. :)

Depends on the yard. And the gun. We actually do have some state laws limiting how the municipalities can regulate the discharge of firearms. For example:
Sec. 229.002.  REGULATION OF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON.  A municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:
(1)  a shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:
   (A)  on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and
   (B)  in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or
(2)  a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:
   (A)  on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and
   (B)  in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.

Not that I know of anyone with a 50 acre tract inside any city limits (that isn't being used for commercial purposes that wouldn't go to well with shooting). Also they can't regulate the discharge of a firearm at a "sports shooting range," sort of.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2019, 11:56:01 PM »

Hubby and I like that show  :)

I'm perfectly fine with estadounidense, except I'm not sure I can pronounce it. My point is that we don't have that word in English (except for various slurs), a native language shared by many people who are not Americans (usually the ones coming up with the slurs). It's not an American thing to use the word America(n) that way. It's an English thing. (It all doesn't really matter, and besides, it's not half as annoying as people confusing then and than >:().

The reason it probably annoys me is because every time someone has said it to me, they have had a condescending tone that implied I didn't know geography or history. I've often had a better grasp of history of other people's country than they did. And I've never detected rudeness or condescension from you to anyone.

Thanks. There is a myth that people from USA do not know geography, but many people in my country do not either. I don't think the proportion of ignorant people is bigger in USA than here, only that your population is so big that, objectively, there are many ignorant individuals. That said, when I say all that about America is not because I think the speaking person is ignorant, only because I don't think they are aware of that being an issue for some people in other countries. I am not angry with them (unless is someone speaking in Spanish, from my country or another Latin American one).

And yes, then and than are annoying, but not as much as your/you're   :P

@segaily, thanks for the feedback about Canada.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2019, 01:02:52 AM »

What part of KY? I was raised in Ashland and live in Bellevue, across the river from Cincy.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2019, 01:06:15 AM »
My fault. I put question and comment in your quote.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 08, 2019, 01:10:03 AM »
I like the fact that the lovely, kind person with the most posts on this forum has English as their second language. It shows an added level of commitment to the forum and its members.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2019, 01:28:35 AM »
I like the fact that the lovely, kind person with the most posts on this forum has English as their second language. It shows an added level of commitment to the forum and its members.

Awwww, thank you. And yes, I love you, guys.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2019, 02:39:54 AM »
What part of KY? I was raised in Ashland and live in Bellevue, across the river from Cincy.

Louisville.  Born there, and if lucky, will cease to exist there.  I don't know Bellevue, though my work took me to Northern Kentucky and Ashland, a time or three. 

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2019, 08:35:15 AM »
I have spent most of my life in KY but have never been to Louisville or Lexington, the two biggest cities in the state.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Wherein we talk of our love of Home and wait for the next chapter.
« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2019, 10:52:25 AM »
I've visited almost every part of the state.  And I love it, as backwards as it can seem at times.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2019, 05:58:45 PM »

This is just about the only thing on the internet I contribute to for that very reason.

I don't think the proportion of ignorant people is bigger in USA than here. ...

And yes, then and than are annoying, but not as much as your/you're   :P

Because Europe has about as many countries as the U.S. has states (depending on how one counts), I've often wondered how many states can the European insulting Americans' knowledge of geography can name. I don't do a whole lot better at naming the states than I do the European countries. There have been a lot of changes to Europe's internal borders in my lifetime, and no noticeable ones in the States, so that's my excuse.

But it's so much easier to explain the difference between your/you're than then/than. Another one that annoys me was all my Spanish teachers failed to properly define bueno/bien as good/well. They defined them both as good, but used differently because so many native English speakers don't get the difference between good/well. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more subtle differences, but, on this particular, all my teachers failed.