Author Topic: Any news on Peace Talks  (Read 173626 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Any news on Peace Talks
« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2019, 12:09:11 PM »
Aw, that's awesome about the air guns. We had two deaths for them this Summer (they are legal). It seems excessive of course on the other things. I would have a lot of trouble  :).  I once had trouble on an airport because I had Swiss army knife in my backpack, I had completely forgotten about it as it is always there  :P.
My father used to have an air gun that shot very small pieces of lead and I do not think you could penetrate even a t shirt with it. But that was 40 years ago and their power was regulated by law. We were always careful with it anyway because it would hurt but the killings surprise me. Maybe they are just more powerful, if you do not put legal limits on them people want to have the most powerful ones available.

I do not even want my kitchen knifes too sharp, I do not trust them with my fingers.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2019, 12:36:06 PM »
Aw, that's awesome about the air guns. We had two deaths for them this Summer (they are legal). It seems excessive of course on the other things. I would have a lot of trouble  :).  I once had trouble on an airport because I had Swiss army knife in my backpack, I had completely forgotten about it as it is always there  :P.
In America, a swiss army knife at an airport would result in a body cavity search and the SWAT team.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2019, 07:19:31 PM »
I understand if the ban was on PCP rifles, which are very powerful and can rechamber very fast. But it's excessive to have to go through background checks and pay an annual fee for a regular air rifle. Sure they're dangerous, but you'd need to hit an eye at a fairly short range to kill a human with most of them.  A regular gun safety course should be enough. Those who want to kill someone will go for firearms.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 06, 2019, 08:24:21 PM »
I think the killings here were two small children, I was surprised too. I didn't know the airguns could do that. That also reminds me a case my dad worked many, many years ago (he was a lawyer). He was doing what we call a "mediation", where the appointed lawyer sees the two sides of an demand and tries to reach an agreement among them, so they won't go to an actual trial. The problem was someone had used air gun and a child (maybe 7 yo) had sustained a small injury. My dad told me that they didn't reach an agreement because the child's dad was infuriated the air gun owner had not apologized. If he had done it, the parents probably had not even denounced it, but as he didn't apologized, they were going to a trial.

In America, a swiss army knife at an airport would result in a body cavity search and the SWAT team.

Well, this was in America. South America. Buenos Aires (it was a local flight). I suppose I don't look dangerous. I always have a Swiss Army knife in the backpack or purse I take to work everyday, so I didn't realize it was still there when we travel.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2019, 09:29:40 PM »
Well there are some takeaways from all this. 

Obviously the various local authorities should be glad Harry doesn't fly.  His force rings could blow out the cabin walls at altitude.  And they are probably not on the list of things that they search for. Of course even without his blasting rod he can still cast enough fire to make a plane a smoking ruin.  Which might ruin your travel plans. If the plane doesn't fall out of the air because its electronics are compromised.

Anybody who walks around with a 6 foot oak staff or a hockey stick deserves to be tired, not to mention the possibility of getting hung up in doorways if you choose to use a sling.  It's why people don't carry hockey sticks or walking sticks randomly.  I carry a steel cane, and have used it to break things.  But it is capital H heavy.

And like a lot of other people Harry pays just as much attention to the law as he wants to.  Commonly committing various felonies,  top among them, carrying a concealed deadly weapon  in the form a a large caliber handgun.

@Dina
Getting hassled for carrying a Swiss Army Knife through baggage screening is one of the prices we all pay for all the little unconscious habits we all have.  Mine is the tendency to leave my keys in the car and locking the door. And then paying a locksmith to open it.

@Arjan
If cooking shows are to be believed your dull knives are more dangerous than your sharp knives.  It seems counter intuitive.

@Fcrate
I've never understood BB Guns or any other air guns.  They're either too much or too little.  However I do understand the mindset that bans miniature  baseball bats.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2019, 10:20:15 PM »

@Arjan
If cooking shows are to be believed your dull knives are more dangerous than your sharp knives.  It seems counter intuitive.
I never use them for cutting meat anyway, that is what butchers are for.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2019, 11:18:04 PM »
@Arjan

@Fcrate
I've never understood BB Guns or any other air guns.  They're either too much or too little.  However I do understand the mindset that bans miniature  baseball bats.
1. You are correct. You have to use much more force with a dull knife. It doesn't give you little cuts like a sharp one but when it breaks through, or slips, you could cause yourself a serious injury.
2. Some of them are pretty average. Besides, it's all I can have without paying a ton to get a license. (Besides a background check on family up to the 3rd degree relatives)
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Salusen

• Participant
  • Be afraid. Be very afraid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2019, 11:22:28 PM »
So, any news on Peace Talks?
-- Salusen

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2019, 11:34:41 PM »
@Dina
Getting hassled for carrying a Swiss Army Knife through baggage screening is one of the prices we all pay for all the little unconscious habits we all have.  Mine is the tendency to leave my keys in the car and locking the door. And then paying a locksmith to open it.

I was not complaining, I was at fault. I just did it because it's a very old habit. It is much more natural for me to carry a Swiss army knife than packing for a trip.

So, any news on Peace Talks?

Draft is on chapter 43.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2019, 12:12:26 AM »
Quote from: Dina
I was not complaining, I was at fault. I just did it because it's a very old habit. It is much more natural for me to carry a Swiss army knife than packing for a trip.
I never thought you were complaining.  As for my case, I blame my car.  It should know that I want it to open like magic rather than needing pesky keys.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2019, 12:14:37 AM »
 :D
Missing you, Md 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2019, 03:23:38 AM »
I've noticed most people don't think of government employees authorized to carry guns when talking generally about guns.

Lewis and Clark had a repeating air rifle that was capable of taking down game. They can be very powerful. Most of us think of bb guns when we hear air rifle, which aren't very powerful.

We call that mediation here too.

I accidentally brought a knife into a courthouse today. It's okay because 1) it's a harmless pocket knife, 2) I can, and did, skip security, and 3) it was actually legal for me to bring my gun in.

Finally, I'm often annoyed by South and Central Americans stating something along the lines of "all of the Americas are America and everybody from the Americas is an American" in English. Maybe in Spanish, but not in English. Just like I've never heard "Estados Unidos Mexicanos" outside of a Spanish class, people don't generally run around saying United States of America, and I have never heard anyone say I'm a United States of American. The word for that in English is American. The word for someone from North/Central/South America is North/Central/South American. There is a Spanish word for Americans that isn't Americano, estadounidense, but when having this conversation with my friend from Honduras in Honduras, neither one of us could recall the word. There isn't an English word that I'm aware of like that. Estadounidense would translate to something like "United Stater" or "United Statsian," which, taken literally, could equally be applied to Mexicans. I find it annoying because it is usually done in an "ackchyually, you stupid Gringo" tone, of which I am not accusing you.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2019, 05:07:38 AM »
I knew you had the concept of mediation, but I was not sure if my translation of the word "mediación" was accurate, as I am not very used to legalese (in English. In Spanish, I am relatively fluent because I've taken dictations from my dad more than once).

I am not trying to say that you or anyone else is being stupid, and I don't think that is the case. I've known brilliant people here. Nevertheless, I've been telling people that since I've joined this forum and I am not going to stop now. I think most people from USA simply does not realize how colonialist that word sounds for us many of us and I am just trying to make people aware of that. Not stop using the word, of course, but just thinking of it. When someone tries to tell me I don't live in América, it annoys me, I can't help it (I generally say "US citizens" but with another forumite (from USA) we used to jokingly say "USers"). Give me some credit for writing so many posts in English without using "Americans"  :P.

Being honest, what really, really annoys me is when people in my country or other Latin American Countries use "Americano" instead of norteamericano o estadounidense. None of those words is perfect, but it's the correct word and it is not bad for us. When we really want to say "From North America", including México and Canada, we use some expression like "americanos del norte" o "gente de América del Norte". I really wish my own people was not so brainwashed, because as you said, in Spanish we are all "americanos", There are not many Americas, there is only one. That is why there is the OAS, Organization of American States, which does not mean the States of USA but the Countries of America.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2019, 12:28:25 PM »
1. You are correct. You have to use much more force with a dull knife. It doesn't give you little cuts like a sharp one but when it breaks through, or slips, you could cause yourself a serious injury.
If you have to use force which you usually don't have to do if you only chop some vegetables. It must be sharp enough for that of course but not so sharp that it cuts your fingers before you even notice it.
2. Some of them are pretty average. Besides, it's all I can have without paying a ton to get a license. (Besides a background check on family up to the 3rd degree relatives)
You can not shoot with a firearm in the backyard here even if you have a license so if you don't want to go to the range every time then an air gun is the only alternative.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2019, 01:33:09 PM »
If you have to use force which you usually don't have to do if you only chop some vegetables. It must be sharp enough for that of course but not so sharp that it cuts your fingers before you even notice it. You can not shoot with a firearm in the backyard here even if you have a license so if you don't want to go to the range every time then an air gun is the only alternative.
We live in alternate realities when it comes to sharp implements. 

And I'm from Kentucky, where my sisters next door neighbor has a range in his backyard where he fires multiple weapons using gunpowder. Of course she is in the suburbs.  Shooting a gun in the back yard is illegal inside the urban limit in almost every jurisdiction that I'm aware of.  Even Texas. :)