Author Topic: Any news on Peace Talks  (Read 174772 times)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Any news on Peace Talks
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2019, 08:22:00 PM »
I watched the show before I read the books and liked it. Now that I've read the books, the show is disappointing (and canceled).

The show did lead me to the books. I read the first chapter on Jim's site and didn't like it. Years later I read it again, and thought it wasn't bad. Then I read the rest of the book and series. I still consider the first 3 books to be the worst in the series. I'm not sure if I like Summer Knight or Ghost Story more, but I think if one was to plot the quality of the books on a line graph, it would look a lot like a line graph of the number of chapters in the books on a line graph. (An upward trend).

Or if they managed to produce something good, cancel it right away.
I consider that to be a sub set of "messing it up."

I'm not very familiar with the source material because I really don't like comic books as a medium, but until Game of Thrones, the only decent TV adaptations that I had seen were Fox's Spider-Man and X-men. Game of Thrones was the first decent TV adaptation I've seen that was not for children. TV adaptations have been like movie adaptations; some of them are good if you aren't familiar with the source material.

Anime might be an exception, but I'm not familiar with the source material, and it's arguable whether or not it's for children. The arguable parts being "for" and "children."

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2019, 08:56:59 PM »
I also liked Morgan and I definitely loved human Bob.

That's one of those details I forgot, but I also liked.  It was a different kind of Morgan.  He still distrusted Harry but he was more reserved, he kept his fanatic side in check.  It was an interesting take on the character and if the show had continued it was an element that could have been built on.

I think most people liked the human portrayal of of Bob.   I think Terrence Mann did an outstanding job as Bob. 

However, having said that, I highly recommend; if you can find it, the original unaired an hour and a half pilot of Storm Front where Bob was just a CGI skull (unfinished CGI, so not great quality) with glowing orange motes in his eyes.  Though far from perfect, it was the closest the show ever got to doing something based on an actual Dresden Files novel, because when it was cut down to 42 minutes for the TV show, it was a bit of a mess. 

(OMG - I just started re-watching Storm Front again and it's amazing; all the changes that were made from the novel, some major and some minor.  Harry has already told Murphy about the Council.  Harry knows his mother was murdered.  Bianca and Harry had a prior romantic relationship, sort of.  Ancient Mai is Harry's warden and Morgan is her henchman.  Detective Carmichael is detective Karmani.  Justin DuMorne is uncle Justin Morningstar.  The spell that killed Tommy Tomm and Jennifer Randall is the same or very similar to the one Harry used to kill Justin.  Harry still has a problem with tech but he can listen to records and has a jazz collection. The actress they got to play Susan Rodriguez was totally wrong.  A white women with a whiny voice and dyed blond hair and her performance wasn't very good either.  I did like the scene when Bob comes on to Susan and tells her she has great legs.  The actress who played Bianca was hot, and she later starred in SyFy's Warehouse 13, which was pretty OK.)     

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 10:59:01 PM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2019, 09:08:28 PM »
I think most people liked the human portrayal of of Bob.   I think Terrence Mann did an outstanding job as Bob.

He was the reason I watched the show, and once I began to read the books, Bob was a huge disappointment.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2019, 11:05:19 PM »

I remember how cute was to actually see Malcolmas a stage magician with little Harry helping him
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:16:27 PM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2019, 10:03:57 AM »
Quote from: JimButcher.com
As of January 31st, 2019, the current draft of the novel is up to chapter 43. Progress!

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2019, 05:38:27 PM »
 :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2019, 08:46:20 PM »
That's one of those details I forgot, but I also liked.  It was a different kind of Morgan.  He still distrusted Harry but he was more reserved, he kept his fanatic side in check.  It was an interesting take on the character and if the show had continued it was an element that could have been built on.
I've heard that Morgan was sort of intended as a mix between Morgan and Michael (and he may be the reason that I picture Michael as a black guy to this day), which would account for his softening.

He was fantastic. One of the best parts of the show. I remember seeing Butcher describe him as having "an arsenal of snide" from being stuck in the skull for so long.

However, having said that, I highly recommend; if you can find it, the original unaired an hour and a half pilot of Storm Front where Bob was just a CGI skull (unfinished CGI, so not great quality) with glowing orange motes in his eyes.  Though far from perfect, it was the closest the show ever got to doing something based on an actual Dresden Files novel, because when it was cut down to 42 minutes for the TV show, it was a bit of a mess. 
I've never seen it! Where is it available?

Cuz, yeah, the Storm Front that aired had a ton of obvious holes in it.

(OMG - I just started re-watching Storm Front again and it's amazing; all the changes that were made from the novel, some major and some minor.  Harry has already told Murphy about the Council.  Harry knows his mother was murdered.  Bianca and Harry had a prior romantic relationship, sort of.  Ancient Mai is Harry's warden and Morgan is her henchman.  Detective Carmichael is detective Karmani.  Justin DuMorne is uncle Justin Morningstar.  The spell that killed Tommy Tomm and Jennifer Randall is the same or very similar to the one Harry used to kill Justin.  Harry still has a problem with tech but he can listen to records and has a jazz collection. The actress they got to play Susan Rodriguez was totally wrong.  A white women with a whiny voice and dyed blond hair and her performance wasn't very good either.  I did like the scene when Bob comes on to Susan and tells her she has great legs.  The actress who played Bianca was hot, and she later starred in SyFy's Warehouse 13, which was pretty OK.)   
Morningside</nitpick>.

The thing about Susan is that was the actress they originally picked for Murphy, and vice versa.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2019, 09:08:21 PM »

As I said, I loved Bob, the guy who played Morgan was okay too.. The most ridiculous thing on the show was the hockey stick for Harry's staff...  I mean people do walk around with walking sticks for various reasons, but it is a bit unusual to walk around with a hockey stick.. 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2019, 09:56:37 PM »
It is true that it is a bit unusual, but I still see people carrying them in the bus all the time, so it's not that weird. And I admit I loved it. I think is better than a walking cane (for Harry, at least).
Missing you, Md 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2019, 06:47:41 AM »
It is true that it is a bit unusual, but I still see people carrying them in the bus all the time, so it's not that weird. And I admit I loved it. I think is better than a walking cane (for Harry, at least).

I agree, he shouldn't be carrying a cane, but a walking staff?  Yeah, that makes some sense.. Honestly I see very few people carrying any of the above anymore...  Unless they are hikers, I carry
a staff or set of walking poles in my car, it is part of our required equipment..

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2019, 06:55:40 AM »
Well, of course, I live in a city, so not many hikers around but some hockey players.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2019, 03:50:54 PM »
For what it's worth, I walked through NYC in my Harry Dresden cosplay without anyone seeming to notice or care, staff and all.

Of course it was on Halloween so that might have skewed things a bit.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2019, 10:02:06 PM »
Well, of course, I live in a city, so not many hikers around but some hockey players.

Well, I lived in Seattle for years and grew up going back and forth to San Francisco and never once
saw any man or woman for that matter openly carrying a hockey stick.... Now Canada would be different, in the latest cold snap there was a huge accident on the road and people were stranded for
a couple of hours, several opened their trunks and pulled out their sticks and pucks and had an impromptu game on the icy road.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2019, 12:36:11 AM »
Ah, girls here are often carrying hockey sticks. Men not that much, but sometimes it happens. Nobody will stare or anything.
That is so cool about Canada  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2019, 08:24:08 PM »
I've seen more people carrying guns in public than sticks of any kind other than people who clearly required canes for walking. But I live in Texas where "clubs" are "illegal weapons," and therefore illegal to carry in public. "Clubs" are basically any blunt instrument "designed, made, or adapted" for hitting people.  Guns=legal; swords=legal; sticks=illegal. ???

(There are complications, exceptions, and requirements here, so don't just go carrying guns and swords in Texas without actually knowing the laws).