Author Topic: Any news on Peace Talks  (Read 173717 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Any news on Peace Talks
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2018, 11:28:40 PM »
  That is about where I am, at the moment I am rereading the Sharpe's Rifle series by Bernard
 Cornwell.  Or rather the earlier books about Richard Sharpe's life that Cornwell wrote later after the
main series and the television series made from it were finished.  He is a very good author and
carefully researches his novels, even sometimes where possible visiting the places where the
action originally took place.  I also had just finished rereading from Hobbit to Return of the King all
the while marveling at the greatness of Tolkien...
I read the Sharpe series ages ago.  I think I read about a dozen before I lost interest.  But at the time they were my favorite series.  That was before Dresden by a couple years, I believe.  Or at least, before I came on board.

Offline MoroccoMole

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2018, 12:41:10 AM »
Even though I'm in the processes of not having any hope that the series will continue (as we all know it's the hope that gets you) All it would take is an honest acknowledgement by Jim and I would be back to checking for updates everyday

Well I don't know if this is a good thing or bad, but it looks like updates are coming more than quarterly...

From the Upcoming works page:

As of December 17th, 2018 the current draft of the novel is up to chapter 38. Progress!

I think our man has found his writing room conducive.

~M
I like a man who grins when he fights.

~Winston Churchill On Enthusiasm~

Offline astralwanderer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2018, 01:02:12 AM »
Well I don't know if this is a good thing or bad, but it looks like updates are coming more than quarterly...

From the Upcoming works page:

As of December 17th, 2018 the current draft of the novel is up to chapter 38. Progress!

I think our man has found his writing room conducive.

~M

What is your source for this information?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2018, 04:42:01 AM »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2018, 04:50:37 AM »
so two chapters every 10-11 days, roughly 52 chapters in a book. 14 chapters to go. 14x10= 140 or 14x11= 154. say 147 days till the end of the book. assuming writing progress continues at the same rate, book might be finished by mid May next year. Give another 3-6months for editing July at the earliest, September-November more likely.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2018, 11:50:33 AM »
I read the Sharpe series ages ago.  I think I read about a dozen before I lost interest.  But at the time they were my favorite series.  That was before Dresden by a couple years, I believe.  Or at least, before I came on board.

Same here,  but he has since written a couple or three pre-Rifles, telling about Sharpe's early life in
the army, and one post Waterloo..   Since I read those I've decided to revisit the series complete.  It
will take a while though, I usually do not binge read through a series, I have a stack "to read" books
that I progress though, then I start all over again.. 

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2018, 10:48:00 PM »
so two chapters every 10-11 days, roughly 52 chapters in a book. 14 chapters to go. 14x10= 140 or 14x11= 154. say 147 days till the end of the book. assuming writing progress continues at the same rate, book might be finished by mid May next year. Give another 3-6months for editing July at the earliest, September-November more likely.
Methinks you forgot an operation.  It was chapter 36 on 12/7 and 38 on 12/17.  That's two chapters in ten days, averaging a chapter every five days.  If there's 14 to go, that's 70 days, rather than 140.  Maybe mid--to-late-March, assuming he takes some holiday time off from writing?

I believe it's been said before that once he gets rolling at the end, things go pretty fast.  It might be finished even faster.  Or as others have said, this could be a final draft that he's making some minor edits on.  If most chapters are fine, he could finish sooner.  If it's a first draft, then surely there'll be at least one more round of edits.

Whatever version or pace, it sounds like he's on track, which I take as great news.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2018, 11:37:06 PM »
ah you're correct my mistake

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2018, 12:04:36 AM »
Methinks you forgot an operation.  It was chapter 36 on 12/7 and 38 on 12/17.  That's two chapters in ten days, averaging a chapter every five days.  If there's 14 to go, that's 70 days, rather than 140.  Maybe mid--to-late-March, assuming he takes some holiday time off from writing?

I believe it's been said before that once he gets rolling at the end, things go pretty fast.  It might be finished even faster.  Or as others have said, this could be a final draft that he's making some minor edits on.  If most chapters are fine, he could finish sooner.  If it's a first draft, then surely there'll be at least one more round of edits.

Whatever version or pace, it sounds like he's on track, which I take as great news.

I agree, I'm greatly encouraged

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2018, 12:50:11 AM »
I'll take some news over no news most days.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2018, 03:59:00 AM »
I'll take some news over no news most days.

In this case, I agree.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2018, 12:18:55 PM »
This whole, "he didn't have a writing space because he was living in an apartment" line just reeks of BS.  Surely his publisher could have rented him an office and decorated it in any way he wanted.  Considering the amount of money on the line, I can't imagine they wouldn't do this.

I love Jim's writing. But I hate being bullshitted.  Why do people do it?  Sure, there are some stupid people that will buy this kind of BS, but it just pisses other people off.  Why not just be honest?  Maybe he's sick.  Maybe he's burned out and needed a break.  Maybe he was messed up by the divorce and is now on Cloud 9 due to the marriage, and he just doesn't want to write.  It could be any number of things, but I just cannot believe that it is due to him not having writing space... that's just about the most pathetic excuse I've ever heard.

Maybe he is working on the television series and it's very hush hush and he can't talk about it and as a clue to us, he came up with the dumbest excuse ever, so that we'd know it was fake?

Or maybe it's "all of the above" and he picks the most obvious? He had no 'own space' to work in, and his life was a bit messy so noone thought it would really help to fix that problem because he had too many other things going and besides was sort of burned out anyway.

It reminds me of Tolstoy - a breakdown in a writing flow can be caused by dozens of different causes, a happy productive writer is always the same because it needs all those factors lining up well.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2018, 05:14:44 PM »
enen
Or maybe it's "all of the above" and he picks the most obvious? He had no 'own space' to work in, and his life was a bit messy so noone thought it would really help to fix that problem because he had too many other things going and besides was sort of burned out anyway.

It reminds me of Tolstoy - a breakdown in a writing flow can be caused by dozens of different causes, a happy productive writer is always the same because it needs all those factors lining up well.

However there is plenty of evidence that he is writing, so I doubt that is a break down in writing flow.   I think after twenty years of writing about the same character he may be a bit tired of it. That is only natural, yet I can see him unwilling to wrap it up because Harry is to a great extent his bread and butter.   I am not saying that his other stuff isn't good, it is, but he knows we are loyal, even if someof the Dresden stuff is less good and we are willing to wait, cutting him lots of slack..
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 05:21:35 PM by Mira »

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2018, 02:13:07 AM »
I think after twenty years of writing about the same character he may be a bit tired of it. That is only natural, yet I can see him unwilling to wrap it up because Harry is to a great extent his bread and butter.

Perhaps there's also a bit of a barrier that PT is the one to slog through, before getting to MM which is going to be the fun one.

It seems like most of the fans are more hyped for the concept of MM anyway. Hard to blame the author if he's feeling a bit of the same way.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2018, 04:53:11 PM »
Perhaps there's also a bit of a barrier that PT is the one to slog through, before getting to MM which is going to be the fun one.

It seems like most of the fans are more hyped for the concept of MM anyway. Hard to blame the author if he's feeling a bit of the same way.

Yeah, at this rate though it may be six years before we see MM, maybe more, it is hard baring a movie or new series on television for the excitement to last.   I doubt that fans would remain as patient with GRR Martin if GOT wasn't on the tube... As it is because he is indeed coming out with
other books and writing television series, many fans are beginning to feel jerked around... Personally I doubt that we will see Winds of Winter until the series ends next year.. But now that a prequel is also in the offering, it may be longer yet, and GRR Martin is not a young man any more.