Author Topic: Any news on Peace Talks  (Read 173594 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Any news on Peace Talks
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2018, 12:41:42 PM »
For now.  I'm really enjoying the Alex Verus series and even though the latest book came out in July, I won't be surprised if the next book is out before Peace Talks.  Benedict Jacka has already finished writing it and it is going through the first round of major edits.  (His editing process takes much longer that Jim's, so it probably won't be out until next Fall or Winter.)  I just started the latest Rivers of London book today.  Time moves on and so do I.  I think back to when I was a teenager, and when a band I really liked took extra time off before putting out another album or just broke up, I didn't stop listening to music, I found someone else whose music I liked. 

The Dresden Files is Jim's creation and his property, so he can do whatever he wants with it.  However, I determine where my time and money is spent.  At some point, my patience is going to run out and I will move on.  That's not some kind of threat, that's the way of world.  I'll be a bit sad if I reach that point, but I'll get over it. 

Thinking about where the series has gone since Changes, I've had high hopes that Peace Talks would be a major step forward, laying the tracks that would point us towards the BAT.  Now I'm less sure and also a little less interested in it, to boot.  I'm sure my interest will pick up if I hear Jim has finished or I hear he's writing the final, denouement chapter.  I'm not sure that will be true in another six months.   

That is about where I am, at the moment I am rereading the Sharpe's Rifle series by Bernard
 Cornwell.  Or rather the earlier books about Richard Sharpe's life that Cornwell wrote later after the
main series and the television series made from it were finished.  He is a very good author and
carefully researches his novels, even sometimes where possible visiting the places where the
action originally took place.  I also had just finished rereading from Hobbit to Return of the King all
the while marveling at the greatness of Tolkien... 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2018, 05:09:24 PM »
I suspect that there are a two types of fans, some that are prepared to wait forever and others that will lose interest and move on.  More power to them both.  Personally I'm interested in one thing only, the novels.  Nothing else.  I'll buy them as long as he writes them or until I croak, whichever comes first.  But nothing else.

Toodles

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2018, 10:04:54 PM »
I suspect that there are a two types of fans, some that are prepared to wait forever and others that will lose interest and move on.  More power to them both.  Personally I'm interested in one thing only, the novels.  Nothing else.  I'll buy them as long as he writes them or until I croak, whichever comes first.  But nothing else.

Toodles

I suspect that I will too, my biggest fear is I will croak before he finishes the series..

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2018, 12:56:22 AM »
Don't be afraid, Mira. If we die before he finishes it, we will read it from the other side  :D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2018, 01:07:47 PM »
Don't be afraid, Mira. If we die before he finishes it, we will read it from the other side  :D

But will Jim still write it if he is on the other side?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2018, 01:32:15 PM »
 :'( That escalated quickly.

But of course, no unfinished business!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2018, 03:21:47 PM »
Depends on which side of the other side you, and Jim are on :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2018, 04:30:26 PM »
Depends on which side of the other side you, and Jim are on :D

Does Hell have a special place for writers??? ::)

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2018, 11:59:27 PM »
One thing I noticed about that note, it says that "this draft" is up to chapter 36, the book could be written and this is just the final draft...  that is my hope, but I'm willing to wait until he is ready to release it. 

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2018, 05:11:24 AM »

Jim's got a corner booth reserved.  GRRM will be seated near the kitchen.
Don is the Prince of Anarchy  :P

Please excuse my grammar, and speling.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2018, 12:32:38 PM »
Jim's got a corner booth reserved.  GRRM will be seated near the kitchen.

With a tiny bathroom on the third floor...

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2018, 07:47:46 PM »
I have inside info that it does.
Patrick Rothfuss will get the bum's rush though.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2018, 03:38:45 PM »
If ghosts be true; then I will definitely be the cold chill on the back of the neck...as I read over your shoulder.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline prince lotore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2018, 04:30:37 PM »
Even though I'm in the processes of not having any hope that the series will continue (as we all know it's the hope that gets you) All it would take is an honest acknowledgement by Jim and I would be back to checking for updates everyday
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a
ride!

Offline spiritofair

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2018, 11:10:41 PM »
This whole, "he didn't have a writing space because he was living in an apartment" line just reeks of BS.  Surely his publisher could have rented him an office and decorated it in any way he wanted.  Considering the amount of money on the line, I can't imagine they wouldn't do this.

I love Jim's writing. But I hate being bullshitted.  Why do people do it?  Sure, there are some stupid people that will buy this kind of BS, but it just pisses other people off.  Why not just be honest?  Maybe he's sick.  Maybe he's burned out and needed a break.  Maybe he was messed up by the divorce and is now on Cloud 9 due to the marriage, and he just doesn't want to write.  It could be any number of things, but I just cannot believe that it is due to him not having writing space... that's just about the most pathetic excuse I've ever heard.

Maybe he is working on the television series and it's very hush hush and he can't talk about it and as a clue to us, he came up with the dumbest excuse ever, so that we'd know it was fake?