Author Topic: Any news on Peace Talks  (Read 173643 times)

Offline Don

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Any news on Peace Talks
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 06:42:34 PM »
Mirror Mirror has garnered a lot more interest than Peace Talks in public appearances.

Jim is obviously working on a double release.  Peace Talks  has been in the can for some time now.

:P
Don is the Prince of Anarchy  :P

Please excuse my grammar, and speling.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 11:01:28 PM »
Mirror Mirror has garnered a lot more interest than Peace Talks in public appearances.

Jim is obviously working on a double release.  Peace Talks  has been in the can for some time now.

:P

If that is true it would be a nice consolation prize for the long wait...

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 12:57:05 AM »
The latest I'd heard was an article that I'd posted a link to in another thread, here it is again.
https://strandmag.com/theres-something-about-harry-dresden/
in it, there is a statement  "Currently, Butcher’s putting the finishing touches on Peace Talks, the sixteenth book in the series. Peace Talks is slated for an early 2019 release"

this interview took place in July.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 07:39:31 AM »
The latest I'd heard was an article that I'd posted a link to in another thread, here it is again.
https://strandmag.com/theres-something-about-harry-dresden/
  "...Peace Talks is slated for an early 2019 release"

this interview took place in July.

Probably more like Summer 2019 (or Fall, but I'm hoping for Summer).  A couple of years ago I did a comparison of the dates when Jim announced he had finished writing various Dresden Files novels and the actual release dates of each book, going back to White Night or Small Favor.  The shortest time frame between Jim posting on twitter, "The End.  I finished writing X tonight," and publication was just over three months, but that was an outlier.  Nine months is more typical.  There was one book that took longer than that and a couple that were around six or seven months between Jim's announcement and publication.

With other novelists the time frame is often close to a year, but as we all know Jim does more; pre-editing, I guess is the term, by using input from his Beta readers, which shortens the editing process for him.  So if Jim can finish Peace Talks between now and January 31 (fingers crossed), we might get the book by July or August of next year.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline prince lotore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 03:36:50 PM »
I have been a big Jim Butcher fan for over a decade. I have every book that he has put out (including the comics ). I have waited in line at multiple shows for him to sign some of those books. But when I realized that the 2 yr anniversary of the first chapter of peace talks was last May I canceled my pre order of the dresden statue and decided not to buy anymore short stories until after peace talks is available.  Most of what has come out over the last couple of years seems to be to maximize revenue (something that as a financial advisor I have no problem with and help people do all the time) with minimal effort from Jim.  And if I wasn't a fan I would say good for him but I am and I feel like I've been strung along with no end in site. If he doesn't want to write any more (either by choice or writers block) I would be disappointed but I would understand or at least have closure. I hope he starts writing novels again but until then I'm moving on 
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a
ride!

Offline sayyadina

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 09:00:18 PM »
I just found a little gem on the Upcoming Works page of Jim's website. http://www.jim-butcher.com/faq/upcoming-works As of December 6, 2018 Peace Talks is up to chapter 36 in draft form!

The last 3 books had 51-53 chapters. So if Peace Talks is around the same length, the draft is now 68-70% done!

As far as the amount of time its taken, yes its frustrating. Every YouTube video of events Jim has been at, he's been very clear of what the causes have been and how frustrated he himself has been at the delay. I've been through similar events in my own life, and personal circumstances do have a way of snowballing as they have for Jim. I've also lived through a house renovation and totally understand how that can disrupt something like writing a book.

I'm also not happy with how long its taken, but its been a good thing in a way for me. I've been extremely ill and was barely able to read Skin Game and Cold Days when they came out. While I'm doing worse physically, mentally I'm much better than I was. So having Peace Talks at some point in early 2019 is one of the very few things I have to look forward to right now. If I'm remembering correctly, the last time he was at an event he said something about having it out in early 2019. While its surely been a very long time in coming, it seems he's at least true to his word.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 10:26:47 PM »
People will speculate no matter what excuse he offers.    And they will continue to do so until a new book hits the shelf.  He sets up that conversation by promising and then failing to deliver.  If, as his representatives have posted, he is at chapter 36, it seems a foregone conclusion that spring of 2019 isn't in the works as a publication date.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 12:27:32 PM »

I do not buy the excuses because he is still writing and publishing and making appearances... Yup, he has a life like the rest of us, and he has had things happen good and bad like the rest of us... Like the rest of us he has priorities....  On his to do list, whether it is because of what has gone on in his
private life, his other projects, or he is just sick of writing about Harry Dresden, it is low on his priority list these days..   We are addicts hooked on Dresden, he knows that most of us will scramble to read the short story crumbs he tosses our way and will line up when Peace Talks finally does come out....  We will wait.. 

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 12:45:53 AM »
It's even possible, that depending on the terms of the divorce, he may have wanted to delay the publication to avoid having to give up too much of it....

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2018, 12:18:07 PM »
It's even possible, that depending on the terms of the divorce, he may have wanted to delay the publication to avoid having to give up too much of it....

True, but he hasn't stopped publishing the beginnings of another series, his appearances and other
projects.. 

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 04:36:34 PM »
I'd say that if it's true that he has only completed up to chapter 36, then it isn't just a delay because of divorce related monetary reasons.  He easily could have completed Peace Talks and not have published until say a time deadline was satisfied.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 04:38:11 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 09:23:23 PM »
I just found a little gem on the Upcoming Works page of Jim's website. http://www.jim-butcher.com/faq/upcoming-works As of December 6, 2018 Peace Talks is up to chapter 36 in draft form!

The last 3 books had 51-53 chapters. So if Peace Talks is around the same length, the draft is now 68-70% done!

As far as the amount of time its taken, yes its frustrating. Every YouTube video of events Jim has been at, he's been very clear of what the causes have been and how frustrated he himself has been at the delay. I've been through similar events in my own life, and personal circumstances do have a way of snowballing as they have for Jim. I've also lived through a house renovation and totally understand how that can disrupt something like writing a book.

I'm also not happy with how long its taken, but its been a good thing in a way for me. I've been extremely ill and was barely able to read Skin Game and Cold Days when they came out. While I'm doing worse physically, mentally I'm much better than I was. So having Peace Talks at some point in early 2019 is one of the very few things I have to look forward to right now. If I'm remembering correctly, the last time he was at an event he said something about having it out in early 2019. While its surely been a very long time in coming, it seems he's at least true to his word.

Now someone get him a dog, that should double his output. ^^

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 11:05:34 PM »
I'd say that if it's true that he has only completed up to chapter 36, then it isn't just a delay because of divorce related monetary reasons.  He easily could have completed Peace Talks and not have published until say a time deadline was satisfied.

Peace  Talks isn't his only source of income...  No, it is about priorities...

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2018, 01:43:55 AM »

I'm not into complaining about it not being ready yet ... but why the hell was he giving public statements that it was almost done months ago, if he just hit the two-thirds mark last week? He doesn't owe anybody a book on any schedule but his own, but at least do the fans the courtesy of not being misleading about it.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2018, 10:08:55 AM »
...  We are addicts hooked on Dresden, he knows that most of us will scramble to read the short story crumbs he tosses our way and will line up when Peace Talks finally does come out....  We will wait..

For now.  I'm really enjoying the Alex Verus series and even though the latest book came out in July, I won't be surprised if the next book is out before Peace Talks.  Benedict Jacka has already finished writing it and it is going through the first round of major edits.  (His editing process takes much longer that Jim's, so it probably won't be out until next Fall or Winter.)  I just started the latest Rivers of London book today.  Time moves on and so do I.  I think back to when I was a teenager, and when a band I really liked took extra time off before putting out another album or just broke up, I didn't stop listening to music, I found someone else whose music I liked. 

The Dresden Files is Jim's creation and his property, so he can do whatever he wants with it.  However, I determine where my time and money is spent.  At some point, my patience is going to run out and I will move on.  That's not some kind of threat, that's the way of world.  I'll be a bit sad if I reach that point, but I'll get over it. 

Thinking about where the series has gone since Changes, I've had high hopes that Peace Talks would be a major step forward, laying the tracks that would point us towards the BAT.  Now I'm less sure and also a little less interested in it, to boot.  I'm sure my interest will pick up if I hear Jim has finished or I hear he's writing the final, denouement chapter.  I'm not sure that will be true in another six months.   

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx