Author Topic: Any news on Peace Talks  (Read 174853 times)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Re: Any news on Peace Talks
« Reply #240 on: March 29, 2019, 08:17:09 AM »
As of March 28nd, 2019, the current draft of the novel is up to chapter 52. Progress! 

Peace Talks may end up being the longest Dresden Files to date, at least in the number of chapters.  Cold Days had 53 chapters and the highest word count.  Now look at the various issues PT may cover.  Obviously something is going to happen at the talks Harry will have to deal with.  We haven't seen anyone from the White Council since Changes, so there's bound to be some drama with the Council beyond Harry providing security for White Council negotiators.  In Cold Days, Thomas told Harry that Lara was getting scary.  As we can expect the White Court to be a part of the Peace Talks I expect we will get some White Court drama too.  Marcone should also play a role here.  Then there's what's going on with
(click to show/hide)
Ivy might be called in to help negotiate a settlement, so we may see both her and Kincade.  Plus, isn't she a teenager now?  That alone could provide some interesting complications.  After Molly showed up in the Christmas eve short, short story; I think it's a good guess she may represent the Winter Court in some fashion in Peace Talks.  Murphy might be doing rehab after all the injuries she suffered in Skin Game, but she might have a scene or two with Harry.  Plus, there's the whole "Murphy's funeral" thing Jim trolled us with.

Now some of the above guesses may not play out, but I bet most of them do.  Plus there are the wild cards to consider.  What complications could Mavra, Cowl or Elaine bring to the story?  Finally, I know some people have thought the Eebs could show up as the leaders of the new Red Court.  I'm not betting on that one, but you never know.

So I'm going to make another guess, just for fun.  Peace Talks will end up having 55 total chapters, give or take one chapter.  I think it's fair to say Jim is getting pretty close to the end.   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 30, 2019, 06:56:13 PM »
I ain't even gonna think about it till Tuesday. ;)

Offline MoroccoMole

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 30, 2019, 11:09:43 PM »
I gave up drinking for lent, regular updates on the site really take the edge off.
I like a man who grins when he fights.

~Winston Churchill On Enthusiasm~

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 01, 2019, 04:50:52 AM »

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #244 on: April 01, 2019, 05:02:15 AM »
Also of interest, I just got this in my inbox:

As Jim approaches completion of his manuscript for “Peace Talks,” he’s excited to talk about Harry’s latest exploits with his fans.  The long-awaited 16th novel of The Dresden Files is set at a summit of the various supernatural movers and shakers who shape Harry’s world, united to formulate a peace treaty with the Fomor.  However, Jim has noticed an unsettling trend among his readers, and he wanted to put a stop to some of the misinformation circulating around the fandom.

“Folks seem to have gotten the wrong impression about this book.  It’s called ‘Peace Talks.’ It’s about peace.  Generally, everyone is nice to each other and they have a good time.  They sing a few songs and drink some good beer, then they go home with everything happily resolved.”

While this may seem something of a departure from Harry’s previous adventures, after two dozen novels under his belt, Jim says he’s ready to expand upon his typical formula and experiment with other styles of storytelling.  That’s not to say there’s no conflict, however.  “Man, can you imagine how tense it’s gonna be to choose between the chicken or the fish entree when you’re seated between a harpy and the creature from the Black Lagoon?  Honestly, the host should’ve just gone for lasagna.”

Who will be at the peace talks, you may ask?  “I think the readers are going to like this one.  We’ll get to see a lot of characters we haven’t heard from in a while.  At the risk of spoilers, there’s a great scene with Marcone and King Korb calmly discussing a point of bureaucratic minutiae regarding water rights.  It’s gonna be wild.”

When his editor confronted him with quotes claiming this would be his “most supernaturally violent book to date,” Jim seemed confused at first. “Yeah.  A bunch of Accorded dignitaries just DESTROY an entire tray of cheesecakes.  They’re like piranha.  Not a single crumb of that sweet graham cracker crust remained.”

Make of it what you will.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 01, 2019, 02:05:46 PM »
April 1st is what I'd make of it.

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #246 on: April 01, 2019, 02:26:57 PM »
Which is why I didn't include the last paragraph  ;D
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 01, 2019, 05:29:37 PM »
I've noticed  ;D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 01, 2019, 07:12:58 PM »
Ah, didn't follow the link. Mea culpa.

Offline segaily

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 02, 2019, 03:01:46 PM »
We also have this now posted. 

As of April 1st, 2019, the current draft of the novel is up to chapter 54, and that’s NOT an April Fool. Progress!  We don’t have a release date yet, but we’ll update this page, send out a newsletter, and tweet it to the high heavens the moment we do!

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 02, 2019, 08:44:21 PM »
Well, at least in terms of chapters, that makes Peace Talks the biggest Dresden Files book by Jim yet and it seems he isn't even done yet. Probably no wonder, given the amount of hanging storylines due to Jim locking away Harry from the worldwide consequences of Changes for two books and Peace Talks playing only half a year after Skin Game. There are a lot of chickens coming home to roost and that takes space to flesh out.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 03, 2019, 02:29:29 PM »
There are a lot of chickens coming home to roost and that takes space to flesh out.
And it's going to be downright delicious. I cannot wait to find out what the Council has been up to, and how bad the damage from Changes-->Skin Game is (I imagine that they've got one hell of a bloody nose from the Fomor).

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 03, 2019, 07:32:23 PM »
I just want the first conversation Harry has with Langtry to be part of the book. That should be amazing.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 03, 2019, 11:58:29 PM »
I hope Harry tells Merlin, "reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 04, 2019, 06:27:31 PM »
And it's going to be downright delicious. I cannot wait to find out what the Council has been up to, and how bad the damage from Changes-->Skin Game is (I imagine that they've got one hell of a bloody nose from the Fomor).
Not too sure; the Fomor in Chicago were pretty smooth operators. Decent chance they managed to avoid any serious open conflict and the Council has egg on its face for failing to deal with them, rather than a bloody nose for confronting them in bloody conflicts.