Author Topic: Any news on Peace Talks  (Read 172806 times)

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Any news on Peace Talks
« on: November 14, 2018, 06:33:09 PM »
There has been a pretty clear absence of official updates on the status of Peace Talks.    No news is generally bad news in this biz.   Anybody have any recent updates?

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Any news on Peace Talks
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 08:47:44 PM »
I recently watched a lot of youtube videos where Jim was promoting Brief Cases. In one of them, he said he would be done in August or something and in another he said September. He explained that he needs to have a space he can kick people out of to be able to write and that he doesn't (didn't) have that. He also explained that he's building a house and it should have been built a long time ago.

There are other videos in which he talks about his kitchen in the new house, so the house may or may not be done now.

Here's the most recent posting on the forum (I think):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZJiv_GT-Jc

It was from June 9, 2018.  I think it was transcribed, and Raidem posted the transcribed version.

11:18  Goodman Grey spin off sounds confirmed to me.  He is also excited because Goodman is so old that he can bounce around time like on the Highlander TV series/movies.  Also can recycle characters in some of the stories.  Will be called Monster LLC.  "When you're in trouble you need a hero.  When you're in real trouble you need a monster.  He's a monster for higher".
I don't know if it's the most recent video.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 02:47:42 PM »
In all honesty after the rumor dropped that the Dresden Files was being picked up by television I started to think that's the reason for the delay.  Jim thought it would be wrapped up earlier, and it took longer than expected.  He said if it ever got picked up by tv again he'd be much more involved, and have more control.  Just my current theory.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline pcpoet

• Conversationalist
  • life is a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 05:43:52 PM »
I honestly think that Jim butcher is burned out for the moment on the Dresden files.  I am sure he plans to finish the series but writing needs inspiration and he started this series when he was in college.  I figure that the more pressure the fan base puts on him the longer it will be till he gets back too writing it. The man puts out Quality work and if he is going to write that is what I want and suggest everyone give the guy space. I know it been over 4 years since the last book and I am just as frustrated but I respect the artist and part of that is realizing that for his best work we need t just wait.
I am who I am that's all that I am from my head to my toe that's all that I am.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 12:48:35 PM »
I honestly think that Jim butcher is burned out for the moment on the Dresden files.  I am sure he plans to finish the series but writing needs inspiration and he started this series when he was in college.  I figure that the more pressure the fan base puts on him the longer it will be till he gets back too writing it. The man puts out Quality work and if he is going to write that is what I want and suggest everyone give the guy space. I know it been over 4 years since the last book and I am just as frustrated but I respect the artist and part of that is realizing that for his best work we need t just wait.

I agree with this, I wish he'd edit and finish the series.  For his sake as much as ours.

Offline t5reich

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 12:40:51 AM »
I have a different theory, although the TV show theory is certainly a plausible one. My theory is thus:

George RR Martin contracted an illness at some point in the early 2000s. This illness exhibits none of the symptoms common to most illnesses; there is no vomiting, nausea, headache, muscle soreness, or skin irritation. As far as medical professionals have been able to determine, there is no observable impact on the immune system at all. In fact, there is only one observable symptom: upon publishing a book after contracting said illness, it becomes exponentially more difficult to publish each subsequent book. Since this is a symptom can only be observed in a small percentage of the population (published authors), it is unclear what percentage of the total population has this illness. Further, it is unclear how this was initially contracted, whether it is viral or bacterial in nature, or whether the human body can develop antibodies or in any other way fight off this illness. This illness is communicable through direct contact, although further study has to be done to determine if airborne transmission is possible. What is known is that George RR Martin became a host for the illness and transferred it to Patrick Rothfuss during a chance meeting at a convention in 2010. Patrick Rothfuss then transferred it to Jim Butcher in 2013, this is suspected to have also occurred at a convention, although that hasn't been confirmed. At this point in time, so little is known about this disease that the only real solution is to prevent contracting it. Due to the common demoninator of these cases, it is recommended to avoid conventions or other large gatherings of people who may have been in contact with these three known hosts. If this can't be avoided, wash your hands regularly with a solution of atleast 30% isopropyl alcohol to reduce your risk.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 11:49:23 PM »
I think Jim has spoken to his beta readers why their has been a long delay.  From what I've gathered, something was wrong. 
I asked a question if it was somehow Jim's head that was impacted (emotions, motivation, etc).  In an answer I got from another Forum who is a beta reader, they said it wasn't his head, or something to that effect.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 12:41:45 PM »
I think Jim has spoken to his beta readers why their has been a long delay.  From what I've gathered, something was wrong. 
I asked a question if it was somehow Jim's head that was impacted (emotions, motivation, etc).  In an answer I got from another Forum who is a beta reader, they said it wasn't his head, or something to that effect.

Understandable, it is hard to keep at one series over a twenty year time frame.  Especially when
one has other ideas and wants to write about other things.  That is why I think in fairness to himself as well as to us his readers some serious editing needs to be done, and make a wrap.  And yes, he does owe it to his fans, he is producing a product that we purchase..  A little different perhaps because the act of creation is involved but not all that different.  Yes, he has a lot going on in his life and a lot has happened to him, but that hasn't stopped him from writing, he has started a whole new
series. 

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 04:07:17 PM »
I agree.  He has marketed the product as a 23 book series.  There is some expectation on his part that by marketing the series in this way and talking up his series that he will get people hooked for it entirely.  Likewise, there is an expectation that I have that I'll be able to read the 23 book series.  This requires somewhat timely releases. He chose to do another series.  That and life events I'm sure has impacted the production. And, I do hope that a release will be shortly.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 04:10:56 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 10:04:50 PM »
I agree.  He has marketed the product as a 23 book series.  There is some expectation on his part that by marketing the series in this way and talking up his series that he will get people hooked for it entirely.  Likewise, there is an expectation that I have that I'll be able to read the 23 book series.  This requires somewhat timely releases. He chose to do another series.  That and life events I'm sure has impacted the production. And, I do hope that a release will be shortly.

I think we will see Winds of Winter after season 8 concludes.. Martin may have been ill etc, however
he has published a lot of material in the GOT universe plus written scripts for various television shows..   

It doesn't matter what Jim originally marketed the Dresden Files to be, that can change..  Martin originally marketed GOT as a three book series..  If he indeed is suffering a road block with Harry, or is just sick of writing the series, then cut it short or hand it off...  He is writing a lot of other stuff so not having the time, will, or strength to write isn't apparently the problem..   Throwing the occasional short story crumb our way to string us along isn't fair either..   

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 02:06:34 AM »
From what Jim himself has said:

1. He needed a physical space he owned and had moral authority over to write efficiently in.

2. He is nervous about changing the original outline he had to begin with.

3. It gets harder to write as more backstory is canonically established.

Therefore, I think he will start publishing more now that he has a home. He will also publish somewhat more slowly than he did when he had less continuity considerations to worry about.

Edit: I somehow hit alt+post on accident well before I was ready.

Edit 2: That is alt+s. The holiday cheer is affecting me.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 02:19:34 AM by Bad Alias »

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 04:38:59 AM »
Edit 2: That is alt+s. The holiday cheer is affecting me.
Egg Nog will make you fat, Whiskey will make you drunk.  I have personal knowledge. ;)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 01:16:23 PM »
Egg Nog will make you fat, Whiskey will make you drunk.  I have personal knowledge. ;)

"It has been universally acknowledged......."   However restraint with both is enjoyable and
make you neither fat nor drunk..

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 07:24:48 PM »
Jim just got married in October.  Yes, it's his second marriage, but it's still a big change.  Plus, add in what has been speculated about the TV show.  Even before this I guessed (and posted) that PT won't be completed until sometime between the end of this year and early Spring 2019.  That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it.   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 07:40:52 PM »
Jim just got married in October.  Yes, it's his second marriage, but it's still a big change.  Plus, add in what has been speculated about the TV show.  Even before this I guessed (and posted) that PT won't be completed until sometime between the end of this year and early Spring 2019.  That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

Yet he is still publishing and making appearances...  My guess is Harry is way down on his list of priorities,  he may be even suffering from burn out, there is some evidence of that from the quality
of the Dresden short stories we eagerly gobble up.