Author Topic: Red Court/The Eebs question...  (Read 6989 times)

Offline Wannabe Wizard

• Participant
  • Reason not Faith!
    • View Profile
Red Court/The Eebs question...
« on: November 06, 2018, 08:43:13 PM »
Long time since I logged on to the forum, just been lurking & reading theories & posts while looking for updates on the next book(s)...   ;D

Have always wondered if all the RC Vampires had been truly destroyed & suspected that the Eebs, if not tortured & killed already by the Erlking & his goblins, might still be alive.

Just started a reread of the series & noticed a comment from Harry in Storm Front as he enters Macs bar after his fight with the scorpion.
After stating that the protections there are an ‘umbrella’ not a ‘bomb shelter’:

“I couldn’t get away from what Victor would do to me, unless I cared to flee to the Nevernever itself...”

So certainly Harry believes being in the Nn would protect him from this spell. Couple this with Vadderung (in Changes) telling Harry that the RC bloodline curse is the same spell/curse as used by Victor Sells it would imply the Eebs are protected. (Yes assuming Harry was correct and that the extra power in the RC ritual was not sufficient to cross in the NN..)

So have there being any previous posts/discussions/WOJ on this?

Does anyone else think we may see the Eebs again?

(I’d love a short story of them trying to restart the RC & get revenge on Harry only to find themselves now up against a ‘trained’ Winter Knight..)

Saying that, have there been any posts or polls on short stories people would love to see & from which characters perspective???

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Red Court/The Eebs question...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 02:06:20 AM »
The spell in Changes was boosted sufficiently to reach into the NN, but there was a WOJ that a few individuals in particularly remote / secured locations of the NN would have escaped. I don't have the source recorded, but it's pretty widely considered a cluebat to the Eebs.

I'd be kind of surprised if they came after Harry for a grudge, though. They already did business more or less along the same lines as the Blampires who have survived and prospered by being smart and cautious rather than particularly vengeance-oriented.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 07:04:19 PM »
Yeah pretty much. Assuming they somehow survived the Bloodline Curse, and then Goblin 'Hospitality' (which is admittedly possible)... The Eebs are a couple of two-bit loser cowards.

Whenever Harry came at them in Changes they turned tail and scarpered with their tails between their legs. When Mouse proved he could hold his own vs the Ick they bolted. The attack on Harry's apartment was a drive-by and run affair. When Harry forced them in a duel at the Erlking's Estate they sent their mooks at them despite the initial attack on the FBI catching him off-guard.

They were barely willing to fight non-Winter Knight Harry, with an army of minions and the full backing of the Red King. I doubt you could get them on the same Continent as him now.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 08:55:42 PM »
The spell in Changes was boosted sufficiently to reach into the NN, but there was a WOJ that a few individuals in particularly remote / secured locations of the NN would have escaped.

My recollection of the WoJ is that it was more conditional than that. That is, if there were individuals in particularly remote / secured locations of the NN, they could have escaped. And yes, most have assumed that the Eebs are the top candidates for survival if survivors ever show up.

Are there even any other named rampire characters that were not killed "on screen?"

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 12:14:00 AM »
Yeah pretty much. Assuming they somehow survived the Bloodline Curse, and then Goblin 'Hospitality' (which is admittedly possible)... The Eebs are a couple of two-bit loser cowards.
They were barely willing to fight non-Winter Knight Harry, with an army of minions and the full backing of the Red King. I doubt you could get them on the same Continent as him now.

Right, but that isn't the same as not being dangerous. The danger they pose just won't take the form of coming at Harry in a straight line and promptly getting their asses kicked.

They're perfectly capable of putting a price on Harry's head for contractors in the same general league as Kincaid or Goodman Grey from a continent away, for example.

Being smart and cautious where their own safety is concerned, though, I'd expect them to just wait for time to take care of Harry for them. At the end of the day, they're immortal and he isn't.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 12:22:25 AM »
They are also clearly described as "not being of the blood".  I always interpreted that as not sharing the bloodline of the Red King.   The bloodline curse was not described as a curse that killed all red court vampires.  It was a curse that killed all blood relations of Susan -- the brand new red court vamp.  That ended up killing a lot of red court vamps because they were related by blood to Susan.  If there are Red Court Vampires that do not share a blood link with Susan, then they would not have been harmed by the curse. 

That implies pretty strongly that the Ebs were NOT killed by the bloodline curse, although spending a few centuries being tortured by goblins is nto what I would call an "upside". 

Offline Starjammer05

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 02:48:38 AM »
They are also clearly described as "not being of the blood".  I always interpreted that as not sharing the bloodline of the Red King.   The bloodline curse was not described as a curse that killed all red court vampires.  It was a curse that killed all blood relations of Susan -- the brand new red court vamp.  That ended up killing a lot of red court vamps because they were related by blood to Susan.  If there are Red Court Vampires that do not share a blood link with Susan, then they would not have been harmed by the curse. 

That implies pretty strongly that the Ebs were NOT killed by the bloodline curse, although spending a few centuries being tortured by goblins is nto what I would call an "upside".

All the Red Court are blood relations in that the vampire curse comes through the blood. What the Eebs were referring to is that they are not ethnic Mayans and thus not eligible to join the upper ranks of Red Court nobility, the Lords of Outer Night.

However, it has been strongly hinted that being in the Nevernever when the curse went off would have insulated them. So they could yet turn up. There are probably a relative handful of Red Court vamps left in the world who were in places the curse couldn't reach, but the Red Court as a power is gone.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 05:33:07 AM »

It's important to remember that unlike the Blacks, very few of the Red Court could actually Breed and create more Rampires.

Susan's 'family line' (for lack of a better term) goes Susan->Bianca->Ortega->Ariana->Red King- and the Curse goes sideways as well as up.

End result? There are few, if any Ramps that are further down the Family Tree then the 5th Generation (because only the tippity top can make more), and possibly none at all that aren't from the line of the Red King.

So even if we assume it goes along the 'bloodline', it would still hit 99% of the Rampire population, because they decided to work a Pyramid scheme.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 06:17:48 AM by forumghost »

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 04:49:53 PM »
All the Red Court are blood relations in that the vampire curse comes through the blood. What the Eebs were referring to is that they are not ethnic Mayans and thus not eligible to join the upper ranks of Red Court nobility, the Lords of Outer Night.

I agree that the vampire curse travels through the blood.  But that does not mean that all red court vampires are descended from the Red King.  Perhaps there were more than one progenitor.  Or perhaps there was once a single progenitor, but it was not the Red King.  The bloodline curse has a very specific method of identifying blood links.  It is children, siblings or parents of anyone targeted.   If my parents are dead, it does not sound like it would jump automatically to grandparents.  There are logical possibilities that would leave some red court vamps as not viable targets. 

All I am saying is that the author made a bid deal of saying the Ebs were "Not of the Blood".  The author does not put such details into a story unless it has a purpose.  The only purpose that is obvious to me is that "not of the blood" means not subject to the bloodline curse. 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 07:01:21 PM »
It is children, siblings or parents of anyone targeted.   If my parents are dead, it does not sound like it would jump automatically to grandparents. 

It did jump Bianca, Ortega, and Ariana to get the Red King.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 07:24:13 PM »
We have three types of vamps in the books that we've seen.  Red, White and Black.  Whites breed normally. Blacks kill to create.  The Reds seem to fall somewhere in between.  JB seems to treat it like a virus, when you get bitten but not killed you're either turned or end up like Susan. Is my understanding faulty?

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 08:26:38 PM »
It did jump Bianca, Ortega, and Ariana to get the Red King.

Not to mention the whole point the Red's were using the Bloodline Curse was that the curse was gonna jump straight from Harry to Eb.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 12:32:06 AM »
@morriswalters: They do feed repeatedly on people. Justine had puncture marks from being fed on when she was crazy in Bianca's basement with Harry. I've always assumed them to be bite marks.

The mechanics of how the Reds turn people has always been vague. From Grave Peril:
"I think they're turning some of them," Thomas said. "Bianca has the authority to allow it, now."

So I'm not sure if this is correct:
It's important to remember that unlike the Blacks, very few of the Red Court could actually Breed and create more Rampires.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 12:44:40 AM »

I don't know if it was ever really established whether only the nobles being allowed to turn new rampires was a biological limit, or a political one. Were they purposely limiting their population to keep the King's power from being spread between too many descendants, or was it a matter like the blamps where newbies trying to turn more vamps would result in mindlessly feral progeny?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 01:41:37 AM »
@morriswalters: They do feed repeatedly on people. Justine had puncture marks from being fed on when she was crazy in Bianca's basement with Harry. I've always assumed them to be bite marks.
So did Harry.  So a nibble isn't sufficient.  And while reading this, I found a crossover with another thread.  Harry dies and creates a ghost of himself,  So Vadderung should have said that Harry came back from death twice. :)