Author Topic: Harry's lack of research  (Read 9701 times)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Re: Harry's lack of research
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2018, 04:19:03 AM »
The point I wanted to make when I brought up Ebenezer is that he may have more information on Malcolm Dresden than what he told Harry in Blood Rites.  Even if Eb didn't know about Harry until Harry's trial, he might have done some research about Harry's childhood.  He might know something even if he doesn't know it's significant or he might have learned something important when he met Malcolm.  Plus, it doesn't cost Harry anything to ask.

The best way of getting information out of Bonea is actually teaching her.

Remember that last conversation Harry had with Lash about his mother?  Bonea may have some very important info about Harry's mother even if she has no idea what it means.  That should be a strong enough reason for Harry to want to teach Bonea.   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline zetadog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2018, 09:11:07 AM »
each book normally takes place over the course of a few days.  In order for there to be suspense and mystery, Harry has to learn or discover new things over the course of the story.  Presumably, he learns some stuff in between books and occasionally mentions it.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2018, 03:16:11 PM »
Eb said he saw the man, not the soul.  And I'm not saying he "definitely" didn't gaze him, I'm saying he definitely didn't say "Gazed."
His exact line is:

"She met your father. A man. A mortal, without powers, without influence, without resources. But a man with a good soul, like few I have ever seen."

He is explicitly commenting on the quality of his soul, and comparing it to other souls he's seen. That strongly implies that he saw Malcolm's soul, too.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2018, 09:08:21 PM »
His exact line is:

"She met your father. A man. A mortal, without powers, without influence, without resources. But a man with a good soul, like few I have ever seen."

He is explicitly commenting on the quality of his soul, and comparing it to other souls he's seen. That strongly implies that he saw Malcolm's soul, too.

Eb is 400 years old...  That statement carries meaning to me.  Eb has probably gazed a lot of people...  I don't know if it is a hint about Malcolm but it could be...  Sounds like he has character like Michael
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2018, 10:30:04 PM »
His exact line is:

That's one way to read it, but he could also be commenting on the man part.  A man like few he'd ever seen who had a good soul.  It's not explicitly about the soul.

Though, the quote also does argue against him being a Knight.  A Knight may not have powers, if you consider the powers part of the sword, but having the sword would give him both influence and resources, even if that resource is only the sword itself.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2018, 04:52:47 AM »
Sometimes the thing about questions is knowing what and who to ask?  Anyone might know something about Margaret, but who is the one who has the information that Harry needs to know?  What's worse, does Harry know he needs it?

With whom would she have confided?  The biggest secret I'm aware of is what she did that made Lea owe her a debt?   If I had to guess I'd say the answer to that lies with the jewel on Harry's amulet.  After the events of Changes Mab returns it to him.  Which could be looked at as having some significance.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2018, 12:35:48 PM »
Sometimes the thing about questions is knowing what and who to ask?  Anyone might know something about Margaret, but who is the one who has the information that Harry needs to know?  What's worse, does Harry know he needs it?

With whom would she have confided?  The biggest secret I'm aware of is what she did that made Lea owe her a debt?   If I had to guess I'd say the answer to that lies with the jewel on Harry's amulet.  After the events of Changes Mab returns it to him.  Which could be looked at as having some significance.

The problem there is he has no idea who his mother associated with.   Everyone of the Senior Council knew her apparently, but until recently the only message he got from them about her was she was a killer and a rebel...  On one hand Eb painted a little different picture of her in Blood Rite, but because of his own pain and guilt perhaps wouldn't go any further nor volunteer that she was his daughter..  That in of itself seems to be a secret that few know, save good friends like Rashid and I bet Listens to Winds and maybe Martha Liberty.