Author Topic: heat vs fire  (Read 2901 times)

Offline zetadog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
heat vs fire
« on: November 03, 2018, 06:58:21 AM »
a heat blast would be a blast of energy that super-heats everything it comes in contact with.
A fire blast would be a blast of fire, like from a torch. gas from the torch combusting with oxygen.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: heat vs fire
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 07:52:43 AM »
Fire is consuming something. Heat is just heat.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 01:33:13 PM »
Physics and Harry have a very distant relationship. You can't shape or throw heat.  Heat always comes to the party with a friend.  Harry's fire spell would be something like a super hot plasma which gives off both light and heat.  Color would suggest that soul fire is hotter than hell fire.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 07:09:34 PM »
Physics and Harry have a very distant relationship. You can't shape or throw heat. 

Physics isn't entirely understood, and magic is considered a really advanced technology.  100 years ago going into space was impossible, now it's not. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 09:15:09 PM »
Physics isn't entirely understood, and magic is considered a really advanced technology.  100 years ago going into space was impossible, now it's not. 
I don't completely understand my wife, but I know how to stay out of trouble when she's close by. ;)  We know heat at least that well. 

And yes we couldn't travel to space a hundred years ago.  Having said that, Wizards still can't. We also can't generate confined plasma's like Harry is able to do.  If we could fusion power wouldn't always be 40 years away.  :'(

I see Harry's blasting rod and staff serving the same purpose as the magnets in the tokamak style fusion test beds, refining his native capabilities.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 09:52:35 PM »
Because of engineering, not because of physics.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 08:27:49 PM »
Because of engineering, not because of physics.

Engineering depends on the knowledge obtained from physics.  I made two separate arguments, not one.  One was relating to physics, and Harry, the other was on what was once considered impossible no longer being so. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 10:18:54 PM »
The only reason the Chinese didn't shoot Marco Polo to the moon is because gunpowder is rotten rocket fuel.

Offline Just Al

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 09:21:09 PM »
You can't shape or throw heat.
That's not exactly true. Magnetic fields can shape plasma (fire is low energy plasma) Superheated gasses and liquids can be thrown. Fire is just the most common form.
Similarly when Harry uses "Infriga" he's moving heat out of an object/area. In one case (White Night?) Where he drew heat from Lake Michigan and used it to fry (I'm blanking on whom)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 10:12:27 PM »
He uses fire to freeze the lake for an escape.  He does something similar in Proven Guilty, freezing water on a street.
Quote from: me
We also can't generate confined plasma's like Harry is able to do.  If we could fusion power wouldn't always be 40 years away.  :'(
Since we agree, nuff said. :)