Author Topic: Madeline Raith and Christos  (Read 5652 times)

Online Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Madeline Raith and Christos
« on: November 02, 2018, 03:59:07 AM »
I have a very tenuous theory, but it feels right.

When Harry asks Binder who Madeline Raith is working for (in Turn Coat) Binder says he never knew. All he did know was 
it was some bloke with a lot of money. I never talked to him. When she was on the phone with him, they spoke English. He wasn’t a native speaker. Sounded like he’d learned it from a Continental.

Continental tends to mean Europe. Christos is Greek and described to wear wealthy designer suits underneath his Wizard robe.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 10:41:16 AM by Yuillegan »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Madeline Raith and Christos
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 08:28:13 AM »
Could just be Peabody.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 09:37:46 AM »
Could just be Peabody, but I don't think so.  I don't remember Harry noticing that Peabody's voice had any peculiar characteristics, just that he came off as an officious little twit.  Jim likes to talk about what a lazy writer he is, that he doesn't put odd story details into a given novel just to throw them away later.  I think if Madeline's contact was Peabody, Jim would have had Harry mention Peabody's odd manner of speaking or the strange way he pronounced certain words. 

Also, this is still an unsolved mystery (one of many) within the greater story.  There was also the clue of a telephone number in Madeline's phone to a restaurant in Cairo, Egypt. (If my memory is correct.)  Somehow I don't think it would be good writing if sometime in a future Dresden novel we are told that two characters who died six, seven or eight books ago were actually working hand in hand.  It reminds me of an idea of one forum member who was convinced that Maeve was the girl that Harry saw at Splattercon dressed up as a vampire before all hell broke loose at the convention.  This person continued to post this idea long after Maeve got killed off at the end of Cold Days.  (I suppose that could still be a relevant WAG if Harry  breaks the Law against time travel by revisiting the events of Proven Guilty.)  It was a fun WAG, but it's not relevant now that Maeve is dead, just as Peabody being Madeline's contact is no longer relevant for the same reason.     
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 08:54:59 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 11:41:52 AM »
Something to note, the second step of the journey to Chichen Itza puts the party on the Giza Plateau, in an area called the Giza Necropolis, with one portal on a pyramid.  It screams clue.

And on a related note the next step after that could be into the far future.  Assuming that it is on Earth it could be when the Sun is turning into a Red Giant.  This would be idle speculation unrelated to fact.

Online Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 05:05:08 AM »
Yeah I think KurtinStGeorge is right, Arjan. Peabody has been dead for too long, if you were gonna reveal it was him he has had ample time to do it. And the whole Egypt thing is a big mystery.

Some Black Council/Circle activity is definitely based there. There was some dark stuff in that Ghoul/Goblin series based there. And there was that massive destruction of the communications centre there where a senior regional commander (warden) was captured. Such a significant threat the Senior Council went out to fight. And of course as Morris says, the second step of the journey to Chichen Itza was a definitely a clue.

He has done a fair amount of foundational work around Egypt. I suspect he has something planned.

Morris - definitely could be a far future thing, especially if you buy into the GUMCT theory that is floating around. I think it was Serack's big cosmology/mythology of the universe. And quite a good one. Could indeed be that the Giza Necropolis Nevernever part is future/past or another universe. He has left the door open on it.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 09:12:42 PM »
Could just be Peabody, but I don't think so.  I don't remember Harry noticing that Peabody's voice had any peculiar characteristics, just that he came off as an officious little twit.

Plus, a name like "Peabody" is pretty much as native-English-speaker as it gets.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 01:25:30 PM »
I had a similar thought about Cristos; but, he seems too much like an idiot.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 02:54:33 PM »
@Yuillegan
I have no idea what the crystal pyramids mean, that was idle speculation.  However the stream flowing backwards indicates a reversal in time, the only real time travel effect seen in the books to this point.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 11:43:07 PM »
I had a similar thought about Cristos; but, he seems too much like an idiot.

Evil geniuses sometimes are wise enough to act like idiots to keep people from suspecting them.  Look at Jar Jar Binks.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 12:00:52 AM »
Read about that theory. He's about as much a Sith Lord as I am a virgin.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 12:58:24 AM »
Read about that theory. He's about as much a Sith Lord as I am a virgin.

Don't get down on yourself, dude.  It'll happen one day. ;D

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 09:00:20 PM »
If so, my wife needs to explain our son.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 10:13:43 PM »
If so, my wife needs to explain our son.
No problem, she is a virgin too  ;D
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 08:53:10 PM »
I've assumed Christos. The whole thing was coordinated too much, and he's pretty much the only Council member who gained something from Turn Coat (which I am listening to at the moment; about to get to the Speaking Room Reveal). Harry points out the oddness of accents after Binder's line, wherein he says something like: "Imagine a native Greek speaker learning English from a German Professor at a University in Belgium."

Personally, I assume the man on the phone was Connor MacLeod.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 10:55:34 PM »
There can be only one!
Make Mine Butcher!