Author Topic: Inconsistancy in Skin Game?  (Read 3086 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Inconsistancy in Skin Game?
« on: November 01, 2018, 01:00:21 PM »
Well I'm listening to Skin Game again.  In the initial meet with Anna Valmont Harry asks Anna  if remembers what happened the last time she did a deal with Nick, she responds that "we tried to screw him and he screwed us back harder."

But she wasn't dealing with Nick, she was dealing with Marcone, she didn't know that Nicodemus or the Denarians existed.  Am I misreading what Butcher has written.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Inconsistancy in Skin Game?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 02:44:30 PM »
Some fans asked him about that.  It seemed there was some bit of confusion on that point.  Jim settled it in as how it was depicted in Skin Game.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 03:49:15 PM »
Thus speaks Jim.  Thanks for the response.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 01:58:01 AM »
Maybe it was indeed a simple retcon to introduce the idea that Nic was the original buyer and Harry just wasn't aware that Marcone outbid him after the deal was supposed to be sealed. But the Denarians in DM never acted like it was personal payback for being double-crossed. They just seemed to be out to jack the merchandise - I don't think the Churchmice even knew who they were.

I'm not sure it's a coincidence that this came in the same book where bleed-through between parallel universes starts to be noticed in the form of Harry's dreams interacting with a bunch of other copies of himself. Jim has also said that some of the apparent continuity errors are actual oversights, and sometimes background details changing between books are a deeper clue. Which are which seems like a pretty worthwhile occasion to use author's prerogative to lie where necessary to cover a spoiler.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 04:47:51 AM »
Snark Knight do you know where that interview is about some apparent continuity errors being hints of a deeper clue? I would love to see that. It certainly would be a neat way to fix a few problems.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 09:03:45 AM »
Snark Knight do you know where that interview is about some apparent continuity errors being hints of a deeper clue? I would love to see that. It certainly would be a neat way to fix a few problems.

I agree, I haven't heard Jim say that in any interviews or Q&A's, though to be honest I haven't watched many of the YouTube videos that feature Jim this year.  The ones I have watched have had very little new information in them so I haven't felt compelled to keep up.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 03:25:59 PM »
In one of the Q&A's in the first couple of pages here, Jim is talking about some inconsistencies being intentional and some being human error. A specific intentional inconsistency that he references is in the chapters in Changes where Molly messes with Harry's memories. I personally don't remember the inconsistency there.

This was brought up in response to a question about push-back from beta readers and editors.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 04:59:24 PM »
It could have been that one, yeah. In the one I'm thinking of, he definitely talked about the name of the assistant Bianca killed changing from SF to GP as an example of an oversight, if that rings a bell for anyone else who can find it.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 08:35:33 PM »
I'll vouch for the part that a WOJ exists where some of the inconsistencies are there for a reason.  And, I like this line of reason...

I'm not sure it's a coincidence that this came in the same book where bleed-through between parallel universes starts to be noticed in the form of Harry's dreams interacting with a bunch of other copies of himself. Jim has also said that some of the apparent continuity errors are actual oversights, and sometimes background details changing between books are a deeper clue. Which are which seems like a pretty worthwhile occasion to use author's prerogative to lie where necessary to cover a spoiler.

I was having similar thoughts earlier this week.  I have had this far out theory that Marcone is descended from Harry.  That he is a time traveler in some respect and he is meddling to change the past/history with what he is doing.

What you said is far more likely though.  The point though was that I was trying to think of a way where the history of how book 5 originally occurred actually changed.  And it seemed like it was Marcone that was the one that interfered, inserted himself into the history to change it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 08:42:27 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Faithmage

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 07:27:30 AM »
Is it possible the ‘we’ she mentions is not who we think it is? Like maybe an opossum nicklehead or Nemisis?