Author Topic: Sponsored Magic and Focus Items  (Read 3673 times)

Offline KlausGerken

• Participant
    • View Profile
Sponsored Magic and Focus Items
« on: October 19, 2018, 10:54:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure that I get focus items when choosing sponsored magic.

The PC in question is NOT a mortal wizard, has neither channeling nor evocation. Just sponsored magic. And thus gets four focus item slots.

How do I build those focus items? The usual formula "Offensive/defensive" + "power/control" + "element" (as in offensive power fire for a blasting rod) does not work for a PC with only sponsored magic - they don't seem to think in elements. If my magic is given to me by a germanic god of wisdom... how do I create the focus items?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 04:41:54 PM by KlausGerken »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic and Focus Items
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 12:37:28 AM »
I'm pretty sure that I get focus items when choosing sponsored magic.

Yep.

How do I build those focus items? The usual formula "Offensive/defensive" + "power/control" + "element" (as in offensive power fire for a blasting rod) does not work for a PC with only sponsored magic - they don't seem to think in elements. If my magic is given to me by a germanic god of wisdom... how do I create the focus items?

A sponsor is an element, more or less. So you can basically have universal foci. Like the ring on page 302 of Your Story.

Offline KlausGerken

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 12:57:41 PM »
A sponsor is an element, more or less. So you can basically have universal foci. Like the ring on page 302 of Your Story.

Awesome!

One more question we are unsure about: If someone takes "Unseelie Magic" (again without evocation etc.), does she get focus item slots? I figured "no", but not sure at all.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 06:04:09 PM »
Unseelie magic and any sponsored magic is the same as having ritual and channeling with the ‘theme’ of Unseelie. 

It would be like being an ectomancer. 

So you can perform any rituals or evocations that would be thematically appropriate for unseelie magic.  It also means you get focus item slots as if you had bought channeling and ritual.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 12:40:09 AM »
Awesome!

One more question we are unsure about: If someone takes "Unseelie Magic" (again without evocation etc.), does she get focus item slots? I figured "no", but not sure at all.

Yes, she does.

Quote from: Your Story page 183
If you're paying full price, you get four focus item slots with this ability.

Offline KlausGerken

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 04:43:33 PM »
Thank you very much for your answers!