Author Topic: new tv series in development  (Read 29332 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: new tv series in development
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 03:05:31 AM »
Not on his website, not on his twitter feed,  I think I'll wait til he announces something more directly.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 03:51:50 AM »
Yeah, I'll welcome something public if and when it's appropriate.  Until then, I'll just keep hoping.

(At this point, I just want an anime, Darker Than Black-style)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 12:59:46 PM »
I think I will wait for the parent to announce the birth before listening to the neighbors.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »
Fox is the worst place for the series to end up. He should have held out for a more reliable studio.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2019, 02:10:55 PM »
Honestly I had hoped the reason for the delay in PT was cause JB was writing scripts for the tv show. Oh well. :)
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Independent George

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 05:25:17 PM »
Jim has also regularly said that nothing is official until the check is cleared. Properties are optioned all the time, and go through development and pre-production all the time. I'm not going to get excited until there's an announcement that a showrunner has been hired and scripts are being written.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 12:33:03 AM »
Just don't let D&D from GoT get a hold of it.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline King Shisa

• Posty McPostington
  • Almost good enough... but not quite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 12:51:10 AM »
Just don't let D&D from GoT get a hold of it.

I'm not a hero. I'm not a savior. Forget what you know.

I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2019, 01:13:50 AM »
Fortunately, D&D already have plans to ruin Star Wars... I mean, more so, than it already is.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline oopsboom

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2019, 05:05:14 PM »
all this talk about whether or not it should follow the books closely seems to be ignoring the elephant in the room...

if it follows the books closely at all it's going to have the GoT problem.  (assuming its successful) its going to catch up with then pass the books, and then be writing its own story, before he gets the next book after peace talks written.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2019, 06:23:25 PM »
all this talk about whether or not it should follow the books closely seems to be ignoring the elephant in the room...

if it follows the books closely at all it's going to have the GoT problem.  (assuming its successful) its going to catch up with then pass the books, and then be writing its own story, before he gets the next book after peace talks written.
:o

Maybe; well, no -- not before the next novel.  But will a DF tv-series beat Jim to the end of the DF story, before Jim writes the novels?  Very very possible!

Peace Talks is #16.  We have 5ish more DF novels, then the BAT.  I don't really see a 1-hr episode being adequate for a novel.  I also don't see a whole SEASON for a novel.  Maybe... 3ish novels per season?  Not sure.  Depends in part on whether the showrunner (or whoever's making the call) wants every episode to end on a cliffhanger, how MUCH of the novels they include, etc.  Maybe they'd be willing to fit it into a variable schedule?  This novel gets 3 episodes, that novel gets 5 episodes, etc etc etc...

But the existing DF corpus should be good for enough time for Jim to get out at least 2-3 of the remaining pre-BAT novels.

Before Jim's RL blew up, he was churning out a book a year, basically.  His newest books are getting bigger, presumably it will take him a bit longer to complete them... 15 months each? 

He's alternating now between DF/CS novels.  So, a new DF book every 2.5 years, which makes it 12ish years 'til the BAT.

If he kept up the novel-a-year pace, it'd be 10ish years 'til the BAT.

Offline segaily

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2019, 04:58:52 PM »
:o

Maybe; well, no -- not before the next novel.  But will a DF tv-series beat Jim to the end of the DF story, before Jim writes the novels?  Very very possible!

Peace Talks is #16.  We have 5ish more DF novels, then the BAT.  I don't really see a 1-hr episode being adequate for a novel.  I also don't see a whole SEASON for a novel.  Maybe... 3ish novels per season?  Not sure.  Depends in part on whether the showrunner (or whoever's making the call) wants every episode to end on a cliffhanger, how MUCH of the novels they include, etc.  Maybe they'd be willing to fit it into a variable schedule?  This novel gets 3 episodes, that novel gets 5 episodes, etc etc etc...

But the existing DF corpus should be good for enough time for Jim to get out at least 2-3 of the remaining pre-BAT novels.

Before Jim's RL blew up, he was churning out a book a year, basically.  His newest books are getting bigger, presumably it will take him a bit longer to complete them... 15 months each? 

He's alternating now between DF/CS novels.  So, a new DF book every 2.5 years, which makes it 12ish years 'til the BAT.

If he kept up the novel-a-year pace, it'd be 10ish years 'til the BAT.

While a show could do multiple novels a season they might also easily stick with just one novel a season.  They would just pad things with monster of the week episodes.  I actually hope they would never do more then 2 novels in a season as I would never want them rushing a novel. At one novel a season it would also take them a long time to catch up to the books. 

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2019, 08:06:20 PM »
While a show could do multiple novels a season they might also easily stick with just one novel a season.  They would just pad things with monster of the week episodes.  I actually hope they would never do more then 2 novels in a season as I would never want them rushing a novel. At one novel a season it would also take them a long time to catch up to the books.
I personally would prefer the novel-per-season format (and while we're at it... let's put in all the shorts and the graphic novels (that aren't adapted-novel stories):  extra buffers before we need to force-feed caffeine to Jim in order to increase his productivity!).

And you're right, of course!  1 novel per season would give Jim ample time to finish the Dresden Files (& likely even the BAT)!

But it needs to fit within the TV-episode format.  AFAIK, that means each episode either needs to end on a cliffhanger or Big Reveal... or it needs to end on some satisfying conclusion-of-arc or other good "resting place."  A TV episode can't just end on any-old-chapter-ending; some work for TV, many don't.

Also, there's quite a bit more content in some novels than others...  If Storm Front can legitimately be a full season, what about Proven Guilty, or Changes, or...

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2019, 02:58:32 AM »
I'd love to see a mini series format a la Battle Star Galactica or American Gods or Good Omens or GoT. Give it a real budget and star power. Pipe Dreams, I know, but wouldn't that be best? Better yet: Go with the BBC Sherlock Holmes format of a few episodes per season, but 1.5-2 hours each with an overarching storyline based on the novels. (He is a detective after all)

Cheers and Hooray for Peace Talks!

Brien

Offline BobbyWac

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2019, 04:18:02 AM »
I personally would prefer the novel-per-season format (and while we're at it... let's put in all the shorts and the graphic novels (that aren't adapted-novel stories):  extra buffers before we need to force-feed caffeine to Jim in order to increase his productivity!).

And you're right, of course!  1 novel per season would give Jim ample time to finish the Dresden Files (& likely even the BAT)!

But it needs to fit within the TV-episode format.  AFAIK, that means each episode either needs to end on a cliffhanger or Big Reveal... or it needs to end on some satisfying conclusion-of-arc or other good "resting place."  A TV episode can't just end on any-old-chapter-ending; some work for TV, many don't.

Also, there's quite a bit more content in some novels than others...  If Storm Front can legitimately be a full season, what about Proven Guilty, or Changes, or...

I would not prefer that for multiple reasons. 1. there's no chance they would survive a 20 year run and I'd like to see them make the whole series. 2. I don't think that the earlier books could really support an entire season, even the shorter seasons that the streaming services prefer (10 to 13 episodes)

I think Storm Front through Grave Peril would be an ideal season 1. Summer Knight through Blood Rites for season 2. Dead Beat and Proven Guilty for Season 3. White Knight and Small Favor for Season 4 (ending with Morgan knocking on the door asking for help for the season finale). Turn Coat and Changes for Season 5. Ghost Story and Cold Days for Season 6. Skin Game and Peace Talks for Season 7. 2 books a season gets to 20 by the end of season 9 and then it's the end of a series and BAT can be movies. That gives Jim Butcher 9 years to finish the last four series novels and they can do the BAT on whatever schedule they want.