Author Topic: At what point in the series....  (Read 18185 times)

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
At what point in the series....
« on: May 26, 2006, 10:25:44 PM »
At what point in the series will the RPG be set? (Since some characters tend to change somewhat as the series evolves.)

I guess I am wondering if there is a particular point in the timeline where adventures are assumed to occur, or if the game will be set up with the idea that we could play at any point in the sequence. (If the game is set so that play could occur anywhere, this might mean that several versions of the same characters could be appropriate. "Here is Harry at the end of book three"; that kind of thing.)

I can see advantages each way.
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline Kalium

• Conversationalist
  • Order of the Slightly Dented Denarius
    • View Profile
    • AnimeMusicVides.org
Re: At what point in the series....
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 03:13:34 AM »
Several possible approaches come to mind. One is that a timeline of assorted events will be included with a "pick a point" caption. Another is that the initial game world will be set initially at a specific point in the chronology (probably between Dead Beat and Proven Guilty or just after Proven Guilty) and then updated after each book for those who wish to keep current. Most likely is that the gap of years between books will be taken advantage of to set things in.
This is not a .sig. It is a cabbage.

Offline Valiar Marcus

• Conversationalist
  • Don't mess with my man Harry, dig?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 06:32:35 AM »
Well, if one takes the POV that you'll be gaming in Harry's world but with your own characters, then it doesn't matter where you fall in the timeline.

As for me, I'll be reprising my role as Marcus Washington, the precogniscient middle linebacker for the Chicago Bears.  Been too many years - I don't recall how he met Harry tho.
Chad Mitchell

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes. Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Kalium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • AnimeMusicVides.org
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 06:34:07 AM »
Well, if one takes the POV that you'll be gaming in Harry's world but with your own characters, then it doesn't matter where you fall in the timeline.
Well, it would matter some. Is Bianca alive, is the war ongoing, what's the state of Winter, etc. all might matter.

Offline Valiar Marcus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 06:37:04 AM »
Well, it would matter some. Is Bianca alive, is the war ongoing, what's the state of Winter, etc. all might matter.
Well, true, but it won't be a huge deal - not like if you were actually RP'ing Harry, Michael, or whomever.
Chad Mitchell

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes. Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Kalium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • AnimeMusicVides.org
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 07:00:45 AM »
It would matter in terms of the world backdrop. It would matter if you wanted to RP a White Council wizard, a Fae, a Vamp, or someone connected to any of the above. So yeah, it would matter.

Offline Valiar Marcus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 07:13:51 AM »
Hrmph, tohmaytoh, tohmahtoh. :)  Let's just say I doubt that Fred and friends will lock the RPG into a specific point in the timeline the way some RPGs tend to do.  They'll likely make it easier to pick your own point and run with it...
Chad Mitchell

Offline Lord Arioch

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 08:02:08 AM »
well, you could just CHANGE when it is set yourself.

Do you want the war with Red's to be going on?
Do you want Bianca alive?

Offline Valiar Marcus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 08:45:05 AM »
well, you could just CHANGE when it is set yourself.

Do you want the war with Red's to be going on?
Do you want Bianca alive?

My point exactly :)
Chad Mitchell

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 09:11:52 AM »
It would matter in terms of the world backdrop. It would matter if you wanted to RP a White Council wizard, a Fae, a Vamp, or someone connected to any of the above. So yeah, it would matter.
This is significant, and illustrates a potential snag that can occur in any RPG based on a book/movie/TV show type setting. (And it's perhaps magnified somewhat when that work is still ongoing by the author.)

I think I first discovered this effect back in the 1970's when my gaming group created a Star Wars campaign based on the only Star Wars movie released at that point -- our campaign took place right after the movie and made certain assumptions as to where the plot should go and how the characters would develop. We had no way to anticipate that George Lucas would make some unusual plot twists along the way, so our campaign ended up looking nothing like the later movies.

This doesn't have to be a problem, but it might be to some. Suppose the "default setting" for a campaign is after Harry book #5 (just to pick a number at random). Even if PCs aren't plaing the roles of Harry or Murph or Michael or other major characters, what happens in the books and what happens in the campaign probably will be nothing like one another, and if the GM is willing to allow for major characters to have changes (death, etc), then the potential is that future books events might be incompatible. Even in the event that something happens to a minor character, it may be that this character could evolve into a different role by the time Jim writes book #9 (or later) and again an alternate timeline is the only solution. Each individual GM will have to resolve these issues.

As a game designer, the problem I might have to face would be whether to have a "default setting" or not. Where this becomes important is for any character who might have a significant change. Do you include a "Susan before" and a "Susan after" NPC stat block, or do you select one with the assumption that the GM will use it or create his own. Many characters will be essentially the same throughout the series, but a few evolve enough where this should be a consideration.

Just my two cents.
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 05:41:09 PM »
At what point in the series will the RPG be set? (Since some characters tend to change somewhat as the series evolves.)

I guess I am wondering if there is a particular point in the timeline where adventures are assumed to occur, or if the game will be set up with the idea that we could play at any point in the sequence. (If the game is set so that play could occur anywhere, this might mean that several versions of the same characters could be appropriate. "Here is Harry at the end of book three"; that kind of thing.)

I can see advantages each way.
People can diverge from whatever point in the series they want to.  We'll do our best to provide the tools to do just that (really, it shouldn't be too hard, either way).

We're going to "cover" the books up through Proven Guilty at the very least, and may even incorporate little bits of what's going on in book nine (tentatively, I believe, titled 'White Night').
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline neminem

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 07:26:24 PM »
Yeah, makes sense. I mainly know D&D, so my examples of role-playing tend to come from there: TSR has released a good number of pre-created worlds, with history and all. There are even video games and novels based off those worlds. Obviously, playing in any of those worlds, it would matter whether you were playing before, during or after the Big War Of Whatever, or the Rule Of King So-And-So, or since the Heroes of Lore beat the Whatever-Baddie, or etc. etc.

As a DM, you get to decide these things to best fit the story you want to tell. DMs have total power.

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 07:57:41 PM »
Yeah, makes sense. I mainly know D&D, so my examples of role-playing tend to come from there: TSR has released a good number of pre-created worlds, with history and all.
What makes this interesting is that Jim is still writing, so we drop our storylines into the middle of the story without knowing how it will end up.

With a D&D camapign, such as those produced by TSR, they build history and such with the intent of letting the DM take over at a certain point. Sometimes there are modules tossed in, but overall the company tries to shut up and let you play.

Now you can play for a year and develop a storyline, Jim does something unexpected in the next book, and then everyone looks at each other and says "Hell's bells! How are going to work that into our game." And Jim just sits back and laughs at all of us.  ;D

As a DM, you get to decide these things to best fit the story you want to tell. DMs have total power.
Which is why I like to be the DM.   ;)
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline samstarfire

• Participant
  • -Gendo Ikari
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 11:54:50 PM »
I sincerely hope that it is pick a point, although even if it's not, the DM could run it that way. But i am pretty sure it will be quite different from conventional RPG's, ina  good most likely(or so i hope), in the fact that most of the playble characters/things will be, well, monsters. You won't really have classes, except for maybe humans. I mean, there arn't too many ways a vampire of werewolf can go, and each race would have complications with some sort of class. I can't really see a were-wolf that sneaks around or a white court vamp that is like a beserker. In any case, i'm sure it will be good.

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 02:06:43 AM »
Have you ever seen the Amber Diceless RPG? In the core rulebook each NPC has three versions, often low or middle or high-powered characters.

I've also seen this sort of thing handled in West End's Star Wars RPG from the '80's (for example, Luke Skywalker at the end of the destruction of the first Death Star would be significantly weaker than Luke Skywalker at the end of Return of the Jedi).

It's possible to do something like this and have multiple versions of any character who might change significantly through the series, and that way a DM could run the game in any "era" of the timeline. When the campaign progressed to a new stage, the NPCs would switch to their new pre-determined state.

It's more work (for the game authors) that way, but would certainly allow for each DM to select when their own campaign would exist. Also, later sourcebooks would update characters who change.

Just one thought. Not saying it should be done that way, only that it could.
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D Player since 1975