Author Topic: Outsiders question, theory and waffle  (Read 1761 times)

Offline skiveman

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Outsiders question, theory and waffle
« on: September 28, 2018, 12:59:20 PM »
Hi all, long time lurker and first time poster  :)

So, I have a question about the Outsiders. Are they literally from another dimensional reality or are they based in our physical reality but have their roots in (to us, at least) an alien existence outside of our solar system? As in Outsiders are an analogue to earths supernatural powers but getting their supernatural mojo from another intelligence. If so, then who do they get it from? My reasoning for this is simple, our borders in the NN are interpreted by Harry as a wall. But the NN doesn't end there - there's more beyond.

I think that I read somewhere that the NN links all Earths together somehow - as in travel far enough and you could enter into all sorts of other parallel earths - but that is within the borders of our NN. Outwith that would be potentially other regional realities in our cosmic neighbourhood outside the borders of our NN. Hence Outsiders. Not only that but in my thinking that means that they too would also have their own parallel 'verses in their NN.

My theory is that because Outsiders seem to have no problem with interacting with the DV once they're invited in (note the invited part, as it's similar to say, inviting a fae or wizard into your home bypassing the threshold) it follows that anyone stepping into our reality zone would be bound by the rules of our NN. Ie. go to France and you have to obey their laws, go to China and you have to do the same. And that their otherness is a difference of their local NN laws being shoehorned to fit in to our NN.

I know that the borders in the NN are the actual literal borders that humanity has been to (the moon) and that if humanity did manage to get to say, Mars, then the borders would be moved to suit - what do you think that Mab's reaction to that would be? Would that possibly explain the slowdown of space exploration in the DV - at least until the inertia of science/dreams/progress/call it what you will overcomes whatever behind the scenes influence being exerted?

Sorry if this is more than a little scattered but these thoughts have been rattling around in my head for a while now and finally decided to ask if i'm just thinking down the wrong lines or not  :-\

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Outsiders question, theory and waffle
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 11:45:29 PM »
One of the Walkers - I think it was Behind, in the flashback from Ghost Story - taunted Harry that the mortal domain was once theirs, and would be again. I don't think he was lying, either. He didn't seem to stand to gain anything from convincing Harry of that, for one thing.

More significantly, the Outsiders have been described a few times as servants of the Old Ones, the Lovecraftian powers that are still within reality but have been suppressed into one extent or another of dormancy. My interpretation is that they're more or less analogous to the more familiar powers, but exiled knights and foot soldiers have been cut off from the progenitors of their pantheon. The troops were kicked outside the Walled borders, while the Old Ones were left inside but dormant. Their war on the Gates is about trying to get back in and rejoin / awaken their masters.

Based on Uriel's statement in SG that he'd been fighting wars, plural, before the Earth took form, and the Fallen's rebellion would only account for one war even if it did predate creation, I take it that TWG and his pantheon needed to get the primal forces of chaos out of the way to stake out the turf for creation. Possibly with the assistance of some of the older freelance supernatural entities that were around then and ended up with mortal religious followings of their own.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Outsiders question, theory and waffle
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 08:30:33 AM »
Well according to Thomas's explanation of the Oblivion War, their were multiple Old Gods and Beings who fought over the creation of the Universe let alone Earth hang on.

"Look you know that for the most part, the old gods have grown less powerful over the years, or have changed as they were incorporated into other beliefs"
"Beings like Tiamet needed a certain amount of mortal belief to connect them to the mortal world"
The eyelights brightened 'Ah' the skull said 'I get it! If no one remembers some has been god, there's no connection left! It can't remain in the mortal world!'
'Right' I said quietly. 'And we're not just talking about pagan gods. We're talking about things that people of today have no words for, no concept to adequately define. Demons of such appetites and fury that the only way mortals in some parts of the world survived them at all was with the help of some of those early gods. Demons who had to be stopped permanently'
"Shut them away. Leave them forever lost, outside the mortal world and unable to do harm. You can consign them to Oblivion"

And that is what the Outside and Demonreach are for.