Author Topic: Outside the realm of magic  (Read 4252 times)

Offline count_espire

• Participant
  • "I put on my robe and wizard hat"
    • View Profile
Outside the realm of magic
« on: September 20, 2018, 05:55:51 PM »
I know quite a few people have asked about alternatives, and some of the titles listed are great.  I'm noticing a trend though, that they all tend to fall in the realm of magic.  Anyone have a favorite outside of the spell flinging realm?

Me personally I like a change up along the lines of post apocalyptic (I blame the video game: The Last of Us).  The Mountain Man by Keith C. Blackmore has been a fun and interesting read for me (free audio short on audible; or at least there was).

I'm still looking for a solid horror novel set to get into.  Any suggestions?
Edmond Dantes:  Never forget that until the day when God shall deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is summed up in these two words, -- `Wait and hope.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Outside the realm of magic
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 01:30:55 PM »
Odd Thomas.  It's different and it's complete.   Douglass Preston and Lincoln Child's, Agent Pendergast series is interesting, but I ran out of steam on it.  Not really a horror fan myself though.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 02:45:14 PM »
I'll second Odd Thomas. Though, that first book will tear at your heart.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline KipIngram

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 09:58:22 PM »
If you want something "low weight" (read "won't make you think very much) you might try some of the Jack Reacher books.  I almost hate to mention them in a Dresden forum - they don't even come close - but I found them fairly entertaining in an "escapist" sort of way for a couple of months 2-3 years ago.

I have a friend who absolutely despises them because, according to him, the firearms information is all wrong.  I don't know firearms that well - it was fine for me.  Anyway, Reacher is almost a less realistic character than Dresden, even given Dresden's magic.  But I had fun.

Offline count_espire

• Participant
  • "I put on my robe and wizard hat"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 07:19:35 PM »
I have a friend who absolutely despises them because, according to him, the firearms information is all wrong.  I don't know firearms that well - it was fine for me.  Anyway, Reacher is almost a less realistic character than Dresden, even given Dresden's magic.  But I had fun.

As A firearms instructor, I want to read them just for that.  =D
This is a common occurrence with many novels I've read.  I stopped holding it against them.
Edmond Dantes:  Never forget that until the day when God shall deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is summed up in these two words, -- `Wait and hope.