Author Topic: Who are the members of the Grey Council?  (Read 13173 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Who are the members of the Grey Council?
« on: September 14, 2018, 06:53:01 AM »
NOw keep in mind we have this quote to go off.

“So we found out who 2 of them were, i’d like to know how many of the rest we already know and how many of them haven’t been formally introduced to us yet.”
Hang on, counting… You already know six of the folks who showed up at Chichen Itza, excluding McCoy and Vadderung

Now also keep in mind Listens-to-wind was down for the count recovering in Edinbrough because of the plague that Duchess Arianna Ortega had unleashed.

Similarly Carlos was locked up, with Anastasia Luccio dealing with the political fall out.

The Merlin isn't a joiner given that the Grey Council was founded in part out of suspiscion of him, and if found out they would be declared enemies of the White Council.

SO who else do we think is on the Grey Council?

Chauncer aka Steed could be a member but I think he's a bit young for it.

Klaus the Toymaker might be a member but I suspect he's another identity of Vadderung/Kringle.

Other than that I struggle to come up with 6 wizards let alone prospective members powerful enough to take part in the Battle of Chitchzen Itza.

Any thoughts?

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Who are the members of the Grey Council?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 02:20:05 PM »
I think the merlin is a member. He told Dresden he was going to wipe out the reds which means he had a plan to wipe them out that day. I think something close to what happened was his plan. He may be disguised to other members or a string puller.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 04:17:56 PM »

We can assume that Harry is a member...

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 07:59:09 PM »
The Merlin being a member would require things such that literally everything we've ever heard anyone say about it would be a lie.  And while Harry might not know everyone, Eb probably does, because someone's got to be able to organize things, and he's said jackall when the subject came up.

Keep in mind also that because Vadderung is a member, it's not necessarily limited to White Council.  And with Vadderung (who is also Kringle) and Harry (who is also Winter Knight) are there, Summer might want a seat at the table, and as such Eldest Gruff is the likeliest of candidates.

We also saw Lara's influence in getting some sea support, she may be there as well.  Or perhaps not.  While she's got an interest in stopping the Red Court and the Black Council, she's still a vampire.  Also, not, as far as we know, an actual wizard or caster.

Steed is a viable option.  Luccio maybe as well, I don't remember if either of them were taken out by Ariana.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 11:33:49 PM »
Steed was the one who delivered Luccios note to Harry. Luccio had effectively been neutralised.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 02:09:47 AM »
No one we know as of yet.  One should assume that they were as powerful as Ebenezer or better.  JB has 5 books of content to deliver to get to the final trilogy.  He has time.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 03:25:06 AM »
Yeah but the fact that we know six of them bugs me.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 03:34:44 AM »
Also, I think that we will only have, at most, one more member of the Senior Council on the Grey Council.  Any more than that, and the Greys have a near majority, and would only need to convince one more (probably LtW) of the righteousness of their cause and suddenly they lose so much of the drama about keeping themselves secret.

With the whole of the Council there, and LtW out of the picture, Rashid seems like my most likely culprit.  We know he keeps other secrets from the SC after all.

Merlin is right out.
Cristos ditto, he's (they think) already working for the other side.
Mai seems antagonistic enough as is, very much a stickler for protocol.
LtW, as said, was ill and unable to attend.

Martha Liberty, and Rashid are the only others, and I could see both of them being sympathetic, but Rashid has more development. 

Wizard Sibelis

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 04:01:58 AM »
Personally, I think Cristo's just stupid, ignorant and vindictive, but not working on the other side per say
. It would Jive with Eb's proclamation stupid is everywhere everyday.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 04:17:33 AM »
It's possible, but even so, as long as Eb and Harry think he's a mole, he's not getting on the Grey Council.  Or hell, as long as they think he's stupid and ignorant.

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 09:39:14 AM »
The Merlin being a member would require things such that literally everything we've ever heard anyone say about it would be a lie.  And while Harry might not know everyone, Eb probably does, because someone's got to be able to organize things, and he's said jackall when the subject came up.
Well, it is my opinion, after all. Also, it would not require “literally” everything we’ve heard about the merlin to be a “lie.”  I heard he was the merlin. I also heard he was a man. I also heard, et cetera. Apply some of that expertise on idioms you have and you will quickly find that 1: you actually know very little about the man and, b: it’s a first person pov story where the narrator is unreliable, prone to personal bias, and knows very little of the larger picture by necessity for the story surprises to work.

Also, no one ever said Eb was the leader, if I remember correctly. He said that he and a few people he trusts are doing something. Even if he were a defacto leader, this doesn’t negate the possibility of the merlin being a string puller, covert member, or open member. The only thing we actually know is that Dresden doesn’t know who most of them are. That said, it’s still, like, my opinion, man (big lebowski reference). I don’t feel strongly about it.

Offline zetadog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 10:10:24 AM »
they should all be wizards or scions that are hundreds of years old.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »
I think Bigfoot is a member too.

Strength of a River in His Shoulders.
I like Steed as being a member.  His forte is time magic and Vadderung is a member so I think it might be likely that Vadderung is looking over his shoulder.  Steed also wouldn't be defending a gate at Edinburgh by himself if he didn't have serious warden skills himself.

I sorta like the idea that the Merlin isn't a member of the Grey Council.  He had his plan to take out the Reds and it failed, but somewhat sorta relied on antagonizing Harry just in case his plans failed.  I think the Merlin knows what Harry is (a destroyer) and reckons that if his plans fails at least Harry will destroy something.  So, I can see Merlin using Harry as his Ace even if Merlin isn't all that much of a participant in, or knowledgeable of the plan.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 02:23:12 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 03:02:29 PM »
Well, it is my opinion, after all. Also, it would not require “literally” everything we’ve heard about the merlin to be a “lie.”  I heard he was the merlin. I also heard he was a man. I also heard, et cetera. Apply some of that expertise on idioms you have and you will quickly find that 1: you actually know very little about the man and, b: it’s a first person pov story where the narrator is unreliable, prone to personal bias, and knows very little of the larger picture by necessity for the story surprises to work.
Luckily, I didn't actually say it would require everything we heard about the Merlin to be a lie.  I said everything we heard anyone say about it being a lie, "It" in this case being the subject of the Merlin and the Grey Council.  Which is universally that he'd disapprove, with zero mention of his support of the existence of one.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 08:56:10 PM »
I disagree with the Merlin being on the Grey Council because I think he has such devout faith in the White Council that to even suggest such a thing would be blasphemy, and anyone involved get their head's chopped off.

Also Jim has said that there are those on the White Council who are afraid of Harry, and even considered having him killed... But being a Knight of Mab makes them afraid to do so.  Merlin I believe is one of those people that see's Harry as a violator of the Laws of magic, defiant towards the Council, arrogant, unpredictable, violent, immature, and powerful enough to do real damage.

I don't think that he hates Harry, but I think he see's the potential for him to be another kemmler, and having witnessed the destruction first hand is concerned about him.  Harry being part of some sort of shadow council would only validate his fears.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 02:59:58 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.