Author Topic: Has this been up on Amazon for long?  (Read 6824 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Has this been up on Amazon for long?
« on: September 07, 2018, 06:20:08 AM »
Checked Amazon for Peace Talks to see if maybe there is a pre-order available.  This came up. It didn't show a title, only Book 16 with a brief description:  Meet Harry Dresden, Chicago's first (and only) Wizard PI. Turns out the 'everyday' world is full of strange and magical things - and most of them don't play well with humans. That's where Harry comes in. But he's forgotten his own golden rule: magic - it can get a guy killed.

https://www.amazon.com/Untitled-Dresden-Files-16/dp/0356500918/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1536301051&sr=8-2&keywords=jim+butcher+peace+talks
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Has this been up on Amazon for long?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 12:55:35 AM »
Checked Amazon for Peace Talks to see if maybe there is a pre-order available.  This came up. It didn't show a title, only Book 16 with a brief description:  Meet Harry Dresden, Chicago's first (and only) Wizard PI. Turns out the 'everyday' world is full of strange and magical things - and most of them don't play well with humans. That's where Harry comes in. But he's forgotten his own golden rule: magic - it can get a guy killed.

https://www.amazon.com/Untitled-Dresden-Files-16/dp/0356500918/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1536301051&sr=8-2&keywords=jim+butcher+peace+talks

Just went there and no pre-order, it said they had no clue when it would be in stock.   I think this came up six months or more ago, same thing...   So I take it to mean no publish date as of yet..

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 06:26:24 AM »
Just went there and no pre-order, it said they had no clue when it would be in stock.   I think this came up six months or more ago, same thing...   So I take it to mean no publish date as of yet..

Damn.  I did a search before and nothing popped up at all so was hoping this might be a change of some kind
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 02:06:32 AM »
I'm certain we will hear when the book is finished from Jim before Amazon knows when it will be released.  Even if Amazon puts out a release date the day Jim announces he has finished Peace Talks I won't believe it because there is still some remaining editing even after all the pre-finishing editing Jim does with the input he receives from his Beta readers.  Only after that occurs can the publisher give Amazon and other booksellers a reliable release date.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 06:31:46 PM »
I'm still wondering what exactly is taking Jim this long to finish Peace Talks.  On Reddit Serack mentioned that he told his beta readers about some problem.  But Serack didn't say what it was.  I opined that it might be some mental health issue like maybe depression or something, just something that in some way affects his brain/mind.  Serack shot it down in saying it "wasn't his head".   I'd say though it seems whatever it is, it has affected Jim's ability to crank out books like he use to.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 07:10:25 PM »
I'm still wondering what exactly is taking Jim this long to finish Peace Talks.  On Reddit Serack mentioned that he told his beta readers about some problem.  But Serack didn't say what it was.  I opined that it might be some mental health issue like maybe depression or something, just something that in some way affects his brain/mind.  Serack shot it down in saying it "wasn't his head".   I'd say though it seems whatever it is, it has affected Jim's ability to crank out books like he use to.

He's went through a lot of big changes over the last few years.  His home is finally finished after many delay's, and he got married last month..  Maybe now he's finally in a a place where he can crank them out again.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 09:10:10 PM »

I don't expect Jim to be finished until at least the end of this year and I won't be surprised if it takes a number of months longer than that.  In one of the YouTube videos featuring Jim that was put out early this Summer, he told his audience he was only half way done with Peace Talks, but added that in a few weeks his personal situation; his new home and writing set up (and I think his life in general), would finally be in a place where he could concentrate on his writing and hopefully finish PT by the end of September. 

On the general theory about the best laid plans of mice and men never quite working out the way they were intended to do so, I guessed Jim getting everything the way he wanted it to be would take longer than he estimated and I always thought his estimate of how little time he needed to finish Peace Talks (half the novel in a little less than four months) to be somewhat over optimistic.  So I'm guessing PT will be finished sometime between Jan. 1 and June 30 of next year. 

I sure do miss the tweets Jim made when he was writing Ghost Story where would update what where he was by the percentage of his estimated word count.  "I fired up my laptop and I'm at 75% of my estimated word count."  Of course Jim went over his estimated word count, but those tweets really showed us the progress he was making.  It made me feel I was less in the dark about Jim's writing process, and for me, helped build my enthusiasm for the release of that book.  (Of course, Jim also tweeted about things that had nothing to do with his writing and occasionally responded to other tweeters, and doing so must have taken time away from his writing, so I understand why he's cut out a lot of the social media stuff, but I wish there was some middle ground where we could be a little more informed.)   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 10:24:09 PM »
Put your expectations in your hip pocket and say zen things.  It will be here when it gets here.  On a more practical note imagine you were excited by the Aeronauts Windless,  you will have to wait another year after Peace Talks finally drags it sorry self to the publisher.  A sad part of me finds that faintly amusing.  You can read that as I won't be a reading that series going forward.

Today in this vein, I read a blog post of something Neal Gaimen said, "George R.R. Martin is not your bitch".

Offline flying peach

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 10:49:59 AM »
Today in this vein, I read a blog post of something Neal Gaimen said, "George R.R. Martin is not your bitch".

Of course George Martin isn't our bitch. He's HBO's bitch. It's entirely possible that after the HBO series finale, that most people that started as fans of the book series won't care how the book series ends.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:59:14 AM by flying peach »

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 03:49:20 PM »
I really don't care who thinks they own him, as I don't favor that kind of book.  However Gaiman makes an interesting point.

Offline flying peach

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 10:53:26 AM »
That post has been going up in relation to Dresden Files for years. The flip side of that post is just like the author isn't our bitch we aren't their bitch either.

I started reading George Martin's books before the HBO's series came out. I then quit reading them because it took too long between books and I didn't remember what happened in the books that I hadn't read for years. So George Martin wasn't my bitch, and I wasn't his either, and as a consequence I'll never buy another one of his books again. Not angry, just lost interest and don't care enough to reread the series. Similarly, I thought Patrick Rothfuss' books were ok but not great. I don't know what all the fuss was about. I might read the last book when it comes out, but I doubt it. I didn't like his books enough to reread them for the third book. If the third book had of come out years ago I probably would of bought it.

The marketplace punishes authors for not publishing books for years. Even rereading Neil gaiman's post, yeah the author isn't the reader's slave but how many years have to pass before the wait between books is an insult to the fans?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 11:36:16 AM »

I doubt that we will see Winds of Winter till the series is finished next year...  One expects the film version to differ somewhat from the books, that is the way of the world.  However having said that
I really doubt that either the television producer or Martin want to not just piss off fans but alienating
them by making different endings... Those two ducks I predict will be in a row and agree, even
if nothing else does...

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 11:51:15 AM »
The idea of not finishing a series, or in the series being delayed, as an insult to the reader is interesting.  But I'm not sure if the idea is really rational. I doubt that anyone will suffer in any real sense because the series is delayed.  Eventually if he doesn't finish his income stream will die.  And as such, he will suffer more than I could.  I fail to see how I am harmed.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 11:09:21 PM »
The idea of not finishing a series, or in the series being delayed, as an insult to the reader is interesting.  But I'm not sure if the idea is really rational. I doubt that anyone will suffer in any real sense because the series is delayed.  Eventually if he doesn't finish his income stream will die.  And as such, he will suffer more than I could.  I fail to see how I am harmed.

Naw, he is writing another series and people are still buying him books, so his income stream will not
die....  However it could be that after all this time it is harder for him to come up with a good book for the series we know and love... 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 01:15:58 AM »
Naw, he is writing another series and people are still buying him books, so his income stream will not
die....  However it could be that after all this time it is harder for him to come up with a good book for the series we know and love... 
Then he has nothing to worry about I suppose.