Author Topic: Luck Power?  (Read 2937 times)

Offline yrtalien

• Participant
    • View Profile
Luck Power?
« on: September 06, 2018, 08:30:57 AM »
I am trying to create the child of a Luck God who grants and takes luck at will.  There are some interesting Luck powers listed in the homebrew powers section that manipulate the number of fate dice you roll between 2 and 6...

Im looking for a Scarlet Witch type power or Roulette from Marvel.

Id like to be able to attack with it (Flower pot falls on head, gas main explodes underfoot) and block (Flask in the right place to stop the bullet).  I know I could just take channeling for luck o mancy but we are trying to avoid the game having any wizards or wizard subtypes.  Consider me a Minor Mutant talent : )

Does anyone know of such a power or have a crafty mind that can conjure it up?

I'd prefer a power but is it just easier to use magic?

If magic is the easiest route is there a way to take Luck rituals and Luck Thaumaturgy...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 08:40:48 AM by yrtalien »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Luck Power?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 11:07:04 AM »
I made a Luckiest man in the World character using those dice-manipulating powers.  It worked well but it was a high refresh game and I had lots of FPs to burn as well.  I combined it with Righteousness and Guide My Hand to 'always happen to show up'.   Guide My hand lets you use your Conviction for one roll which you can, say, do things like use burglary with conviction and the fluff being that the door was luckily left unlocked.  Righteousness to attack a whole zone by doing crazy stuff like having the ceiling fall in and hit everyone but yourself. (luckily)

Another option is to use Incite Misfortune.
Incite Efffect
-At Range
-Weapon Rating
-Defensive Effect
That's where you can easily have pots fall on people and have flasks protect you from bullets.  Finding crazy excuses to be dodging attacks with a Incite Misfortune would be fun.  Also, I've played with someone who made a character exactly like this and it was great fun!

Offline yrtalien

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 03:29:00 PM »
Guide My hand lets you use your Conviction for one roll which you can, say, do things like use burglary with conviction and the fluff being that the door was luckily left unlocked.  Righteousness to attack a whole zone by doing crazy stuff like having the ceiling fall in and hit everyone but yourself. (luckily)

Another option is to use Incite Misfortune.
Incite Efffect
-At Range
-Weapon Rating
-Defensive Effect
That's where you can easily have pots fall on people and have flasks protect you from bullets.  Finding crazy excuses to be dodging attacks with a Incite Misfortune would be fun.  Also, I've played with someone who made a character exactly like this and it was great fun!

Ty those are great suggestions!

Having read Righteousness I now find myself attracted to Potent Prayer.  Letting my Conviction (read Luck) compliment other's actions is too cool... but a fate point to use it Ack...

Does anyone know of any examples of buying off the FP cost of a power?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 05:53:36 PM »
What do you mean?

Increasing the Refresh cost of the Power to remove the FP cost?

Eyeballing it, 4 Refresh might be fair for FP-less Righteousness. But I feel like taking away the FP cost would make the Power less flavourful.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 07:02:03 PM »
Ty those are great suggestions!

Having read Righteousness I now find myself attracted to Potent Prayer.  Letting my Conviction (read Luck) compliment other's actions is too cool... but a fate point to use it Ack...

Does anyone know of any examples of buying off the FP cost of a power?

From experience, paying 1 FP to gain a +1 bonus to ALL skill checks that go towards a particular goal is well worth it.  Think about it this way:

When you spend a FP to invoke an aspect, you get +2 to ONE roll.
When you spend a FP without invoking an aspect you get +1 to ONE roll.

So, yeah.  Getting +1 to all skill checks for, potentially, an entire Scenario is quite handy.  And you only lose it if the GM compels you away from your task. (IE: gives you a FP)

Offline yrtalien

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 09:27:38 PM »
From experience, paying 1 FP to gain a +1 bonus to ALL skill checks that go towards a particular goal is well worth it.  Think about it this way:

When you spend a FP to invoke an aspect, you get +2 to ONE roll.
When you spend a FP without invoking an aspect you get +1 to ONE roll.

So, yeah.  Getting +1 to all skill checks for, potentially, an entire Scenario is quite handy.  And you only lose it if the GM compels you away from your task. (IE: gives you a FP)

My usual MO is to spend FP like they're water. Growing my abilities and powers.  I will give this, ahem, reasonable buffer of FP a try : )  Thanks all of you.