Author Topic: Sue's Reappearance (a tiny problem)  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Eleyctra

• Posty McPostington
  • A humble artist
    • View Profile
Sue's Reappearance (a tiny problem)
« on: September 04, 2018, 04:25:25 AM »
So Harry is going to have a grand time finding and getting Sue the T.Rex out of the Field Museum in the future book(s). She is in the process of moving into her own suite at the end of the Triassic Era exhibit deeper in the building... https://www.fieldmuseum.org/blog/meet-sues-new-neighbors-hall-dinosaurs

In the month of June 2018, I visited the museum only to be slightly disappointed that instead of Sue, there's now a Titanosaur taking up half the back lobby (which apparently just finished it's move there in May). I finally found her suite, but unfortunately it was still under construction, and I could only see her partial skeleton through a peep hole.

I'm not sure how long the whole switch-over has lasted (and is scheduled to unveil in Spring 2019), but if Harry times his visit for Sue's resurrection, it's hopefully before 2018. And if he visits the Field Museum past 2018, I'm going to enjoy Harry's antics in getting a massive T.Rex through the hallways like a wrecking ball...

I wonder also if Harry will be more capable in the future with necromancy and just resurrect the rest of the dino bones.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:17:22 PM by Eleyctra »
The written word stands between memory & oblivion.Without books as our anchors,we're cast adrift,neither teaching nor learning.They're windows on the past,mirrors on the present,& prisms reflecting possible futures.Books are lighthouses erected in the dark sea of time.
Jeffery Robbins-Gargoyles S2E4

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Sue's Reappearance
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 10:26:32 AM »
Well, he can still take Sue out for a walk. The museum doesn't have to be standing afterwards :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Sue's Reappearance
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 07:17:19 PM »
Well, he can still take Sue out for a walk. The museum doesn't have to be standing afterwards :D

Things haven't changed since the last time he took her out for a walk...  Maybe he only needs to drag her pinky finger outside, put the incantation on it and the rest of her, live, in living color appears?

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Sue's Reappearance (a tiny problem)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 03:14:08 AM »
So Harry is going to have a grand time finding and getting Sue the T.Rex out of the Field Museum in the future book(s). She is in the process of moving into her own suite at the end of the Triassic Era exhibit deeper in the building... https://www.fieldmuseum.org/blog/meet-sues-new-neighbors-hall-dinosaurs

In the month of June 2018, I visited the museum only to be slightly disappointed that instead of Sue, there's now a Titanosaur taking up half the back lobby (which apparently just finished it's move there in May). I finally found her suite, but unfortunately it was still under construction, and I could only see her partial skeleton through a peep hole.

I'm not sure how long the whole switch-over has lasted (and is scheduled to unveil in Spring 2019), but if Harry times his visit for Sue's resurrection, it's hopefully before 2018. And if he visits the Field Museum past 2018, I'm going to enjoy Harry's antics in getting a massive T.Rex through the hallways like a wrecking ball...

I wonder also if Harry will be more capable in the future with necromancy and just resurrect the rest of the dino bones.
He's lagging a few years behind at this point, he'll be fine.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Eleyctra

• Posty McPostington
  • A humble artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 03:55:16 AM »
He's lagging a few years behind at this point, he'll be fine.

But that's the thing: If Butcher keeps to matching our years of rough book publication to Harry's book-to-book timeskips, at what point (if any) will Harry's world and our world line up. (Except for the obvious 4-5 years since the last book to the next one, that'll get merged down to about a year in Harry's world.)

I realize this could be ridiculous. Butcher can handwave the exhibit change away, and the Dresdenverse Field Museum never changes.
I've lost track of the rough number of years that have passed up to Skin Game in Dresdenverse. Has it been 13? 15 years? Harry mentions in Ghost Story after meeting up with the dead cop (Rawlins?) that 'more than 10 years' have passed since he saw him last.

(Its been awhile since I read the books...my facts might be skewed.)
The written word stands between memory & oblivion.Without books as our anchors,we're cast adrift,neither teaching nor learning.They're windows on the past,mirrors on the present,& prisms reflecting possible futures.Books are lighthouses erected in the dark sea of time.
Jeffery Robbins-Gargoyles S2E4

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 05:48:16 AM »
Who knows.  Maybe because Harry has worked magic on her, he can reach out to her again without needing bones.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 08:17:09 AM »
I've lost track of the rough number of years that have passed up to Skin Game in Dresdenverse. Has it been 13? 15 years? Harry mentions in Ghost Story after meeting up with the dead cop (Rawlins?) that 'more than 10 years' have passed since he saw him last.

(Its been awhile since I read the books...my facts might be skewed.)
15 years I think. And the dead cop was Carmichael.
Things haven't changed since the last time he took her out for a walk...  Maybe he only needs to drag her pinky finger outside, put the incantation on it and the rest of her, live, in living color appears?
Who knows.  Maybe because Harry has worked magic on her, he can reach out to her again without needing bones.
Both of these would work fine on summoning an apparition, like corpsetaker did. For raising a zombie, he needs the actual body and bones, which, based on everything we've seen so far in the series, he can't translocate magically.
Besides, where's the fun in that? More mayhem, wanton destruction and gratuitous violence please. :D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 08:19:02 AM by Fcrate »
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 03:08:25 PM »
Both of these would work fine on summoning an apparition, like corpsetaker did. For raising a zombie, he needs the actual body and bones, which, based on everything we've seen so far in the series, he can't translocate magically.
Besides, where's the fun in that? More mayhem, wanton destruction and gratuitous violence please. :D

Need to go back and reread the passage when Harry does animate Sue, but at the time of the writing of Dead Beat, Sue's bones were less freed from their stone coffin than they are now..  Okay
just reread the passage and Butters remarks about the total wreckage of the front door that apparently Sue has just rumbled through.... So why would it be any different if he did it again?

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 08:09:24 PM »
I had heard that the time skip between Skin Game and Peace Talks is just a few months. I forget the source, but it's 2-4 months, if I remember correctly.

Time will be much easier to tell (at least for me, I frequently get confused about how much time has passed at different points in the story) going forward with Maggie as a living clock.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 01:49:35 AM »
What if Harry's already been there, and the real reason they're moving Sue is that they don't want anyone to discover that the Skeleton is a fake?

Alternatively maybe Sue herself won't show up, but instead Harry's antics in DB will have... "inspired" certain other Necromancers to play around with Other skeletons then human ones, and Harry's going to find himself playing Alan Grant someday...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:54:11 AM by forumghost »