Author Topic: Could Marcone have recruited another wizard?  (Read 8525 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Could Marcone have recruited another wizard?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 02:03:30 AM »
I'm still wondering how Marcone found Dresden.  I mean he advertised himself as a wizard but who would take that seriously?  Also I don't remember if it's said in the books but how did he meet up with Vadderung?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 03:17:51 AM »
I don't think we know how fully, but Marcone had his own exposure to the supernatural world before meeting Harry.  Enough to know about the soulgaze going in, for example.  So the main question re: Harry then would be whether or not Harry was a real wizard, not whether or not wizards exist.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 05:10:12 AM »
Yeah, Marcone totally had a supernatural source somewhere pre-series that set him onto Harry:

"They say that you're the real thing, Mister Dresden. A real magus."

"They also say I'm nutty as a fruitcake."

"I choose which 'they' I listen to very carefully," Marcone said. "Think about what I've said, Mister Dresden? I do not think our respective lines of work need overlap often. I would as soon not make an enemy of you over this matter."

Not that we have any Idea who it is though. My guess is that he found them while Turning over stones to find out about who the Group (Red Court) were that were making inroads into Chicago at the time.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 05:33:58 AM »
Yeah, Marcone totally had a supernatural source somewhere pre-series that set him onto Harry:

Not that we have any Idea who it is though. My guess is that he found them while Turning over stones to find out about who the Group (Red Court) were that were making inroads into Chicago at the time.

Maybe some cops on Marcone's payroll who'd seen Dresden working passed the word along.  Jim may have just left it open as a mystery but I'd like to think we find out later that Marcone had known about the supernatural for a while, and had been poking around.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2018, 10:16:12 PM »
I agree, Marcone definitely had prior knowledge and/or experience.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 11:19:25 PM »
JB has never said magic was invisible, simply that people didn't want to see it. Valmont educated herself after running into the Denarians.
Quote from: Skin Game
"Since monsters killed my two best friends."  She shrugged a shoulder. "I made it my business to learn.  I was sort of startled (by) how easy it was. No one really seems to spend all that much effort truly hiding from humanity."  "There's no need to,"  I said.  "Most people don't want to know, (and) wouldn't believe it if you showed them."
My corrections to the text noted by parentheses and color.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2018, 06:53:20 AM »
JB has never said magic was invisible, simply that people didn't want to see it. Valmont educated herself after running into the Denarians.My corrections to the text noted by parentheses and color.

Exactly...  People will convince themselves that it was an illusion, or delusion, or a nightmare ect. 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 11:32:07 AM »
I'm still wondering how Marcone found Dresden.  I mean he advertised himself as a wizard but who would take that seriously?  Also I don't remember if it's said in the books but how did he meet up with Vadderung?

I don't think either was ever explained.   If I remember correctly Marcone took Harry for a ride so
to speak, and knew of him by his reputation, but that wasn't explained.. Harry did know Marcone by
his though and his attempt at a withering soul gaze backfired.   How Marcone met Vadderung was
never explained either, except he was maybe a signer of the Accords by that time.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 08:19:01 PM »
  I don't think either was ever explained.   If I remember correctly Marcone took Harry for a ride so
to speak, and knew of him by his reputation, but that wasn't explained.. Harry did know Marcone by
his though and his attempt at a withering soul gaze backfired.   How Marcone met Vadderung was
never explained either, except he was maybe a signer of the Accords by that time.
Marcone only became an accord member after white night. It was probably Marcones competition and conflict with the red court that drew Vadderungs attention and the red court certainly made it necessary for Marcone to seek supernatural assistence and Vadderung does provide that for money which is better than a fairy deal.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 01:37:20 AM »
Monoc is probably a multinational corporation. It's probably got a fairly prominent public face, so someone like Marcone who apparently knows how to read the lines probably didn't have much trouble finding out about them. They probably don't do much to outright hide that they're supernatural, even if they would hide the exact nature of their boss.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2018, 06:29:14 AM »
Monoc is probably a multinational corporation. It's probably got a fairly prominent public face, so someone like Marcone who apparently knows how to read the lines probably didn't have much trouble finding out about them. They probably don't do much to outright hide that they're supernatural, even if they would hide the exact nature of their boss.

This is just a guess that has no evidence behind it besides Marcone getting involved with the Supernatural.  He may have a friend, associate, family member or someone that is a source of information that has enabled him to find Vadderung, and Dresden.  Heck Vadderung may have been the one who sent Marcone to Dresden.  Maybe during his time in the military he met someone?  I really do hope Jim has it planned out, and it wasn't just happenstance.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2018, 02:22:17 PM »
I'd bet it was Bianca that clued him in, by accident. I imagine something like, Bianca sets up shop in town, Marcone sends someone to make a deal with her of some kind, whatever passes for a welcome wagon among organized crime.

Bianca leans on the vampire powers to scare the guy off, expecting that he will just tell his boss that there's no deal and to back off, and that even if he goes to Marcone and goes, "They're goddamn vampires, John," Marcone obviously won't believe him. If she's lucky, Marcone himself will come by to do the job "properly" and she can enthrall him.

Instead, though, Marcone listens to his freaked out lieutenant and decides to look seriously into what he's saying instead.

That's how I imagine it, anyway.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2018, 02:24:24 PM »
Perhaps prior to Death Masks, Marcone pursued an alternative mystical solution to helping Amanda Beckitt?  Perhaps he sought out some hedge wizards or faith users or necromancers and encountered the real thing and this helped clue him in? 

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2018, 03:01:35 PM »
Marcone wanted Dresden to work for him, and it didn't work out.  He eventually got Gard.  As talented as she is, she still isn't a wizard who has access to different forms of power.  Do you think that Marcone may have a wizard on his payroll?  If so, who?  I'm wondering if Elaine could be. 

He does have a wizard on his payroll. Known for a wide-brimmed pointed hat, a beard, even an eye patch.

Good by the name Vaderrung.
My Theory Emporium

Eldest Gruff: Based on what
raidem: TEXT, go find it yourself.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2018, 06:05:46 PM »
He does have a wizard on his payroll. Known for a wide-brimmed pointed hat, a beard, even an eye patch.

Good by the name Vaderrung.

Ummmm I wouldn't say he's on Marcone's payroll...  Pretty sure he's above Marcone's pay grade.