Author Topic: Could Marcone have recruited another wizard?  (Read 8508 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Could Marcone have recruited another wizard?
« on: August 29, 2018, 05:46:03 AM »
Marcone wanted Dresden to work for him, and it didn't work out.  He eventually got Gard.  As talented as she is, she still isn't a wizard who has access to different forms of power.  Do you think that Marcone may have a wizard on his payroll?  If so, who?  I'm wondering if Elaine could be. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Could Marcone have recruited another wizard?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 11:27:22 AM »
Marcone wanted Dresden to work for him, and it didn't work out.  He eventually got Gard.  As talented as she is, she still isn't a wizard who has access to different forms of power.  Do you think that Marcone may have a wizard on his payroll?  If so, who?  I'm wondering if Elaine could be.

I am sure that he tried, and we may eventually find out that he did...

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 12:43:35 PM »
Marcone would have whoever he thought he might need.  The question is why would he need one?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 02:06:35 PM »
It's certainly possible.

However, I don't see anything to suggest he has -- while Gard might not have the on-the-fly abilities that Harry does, her rune magic seems capable of doing anything else Marcone needs.

Plus, if he had a wizard on the payroll, one would think he or she would've come up as a mention in Even Hand, which has Marcone going through a specifically anti-wizard scenario.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 03:30:03 PM »
I personally think recruiting a full-time wizard isn't exceptionally likely for Marcone for most of the story.  Its generally been pointed out that Wizards are 1) extremely rare (I think the estimates are only in the hundreds for 6 to 7 billion humans) 2) long lived and 3) have many avenues for accumulating personal wealth.  Working as protection for a human crime boss seems like a very poor proposition.  While I'm sure remuneration would be good in such a role for your average human being, its probably not that much for a wizard.  Tack onto that the possibility of being killed and unable to take action against the threats as freely as you'd like (being mortal humans).  Random consulting is a different story, altogether.  Another option would be to grab a non-wizard magic user, which Gard is.  They will be more numerous, less options for personal advancement, and not expecting to live forever (hyperbole).  Now, in the current timeline of the story, perhaps working for Baron Marcone is a different proposition altogether.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 07:49:38 PM »
I also think that a White Council wizard would be sort-of expected to at least say hi to the local Warden commander.

Who is Harry Dresden, and would look dimly on any wizard shacking up with Marcone. And who is one of the scarier wizards alive.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 03:11:22 AM »
I also think that a White Council wizard would be sort-of expected to at least say hi to the local Warden commander.

Who is Harry Dresden, and would look dimly on any wizard shacking up with Marcone. And who is one of the scarier wizards alive.

Well that is why I suggested Elaine.  As far as I know she is avoiding the Council, or might even be unknown to them?  Marcone as a signatory of the Accords may be able to offer her some protection, at a cost.  She knows Harry, and his magic, another big bonus to Marcone.  Marcone became the protector of Chicago when Harry was shot, and is probably allied with the paranet which could have been how he would learn of her. 

It's just theory, and thought it would be a fun topic since the forums seem a little quiet.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 03:13:04 AM »
If Marcone HAD hired a wizard, it's the kind of thing you'd think he'd have mentioned when talking about a variety of other magical defenses he had in Even Hand.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 06:12:53 AM »
If Marcone HAD hired a wizard, it's the kind of thing you'd think he'd have mentioned when talking about a variety of other magical defenses he had in Even Hand.

Even Hand was before Changes.  A lot has happened since then. 

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 11:44:07 AM »
If there was a wizard in Chicago, the fomor wouldn't be such a problem.

Yes, a lot could have happened. But we've seen nothing to suggest it has

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 04:36:09 PM »
Well that is why I suggested Elaine.  As far as I know she is avoiding the Council, or might even be unknown to them?  Marcone as a signatory of the Accords may be able to offer her some protection, at a cost.  She knows Harry, and his magic, another big bonus to Marcone.  Marcone became the protector of Chicago when Harry was shot, and is probably allied with the paranet which could have been how he would learn of her. 

It's just theory, and thought it would be a fun topic since the forums seem a little quiet.

Elaine has gone to shady people for protection in the past (Summer, possibly Cowl if she's Kumori). A situation like hers may be the only way to convince a wizard to sign on for Team Baron Marcone. Someone like Elaine, or Hanna Ascher (who may or may not have had a wizard-level talent before picking up Lassie), for example. Personally, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a wizard who's willing to do work like that, when most of the ones we've seen A) don't want to work for anyone but themselves, or B) don't have to work for anyone unless they're pursuing a specific goal that requires allies. Even then, I'd imagine it'd be temporary.

Still, it's possible that Marcone has found one. However, I think it'd be far more likely that Marcone would try to find a wizard child, one who was particularly vulnerable (say, like Harry and Elaine were—orphans, confused, alone, destitute) to raise. Doing so would provide the benefit of a wizard ally in the future, and would fit Marcone's history of going out of his way to protect kids.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 11:11:43 PM »
How would Marcone even know about Elaine?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 12:08:25 AM »
How would Marcone even know about Elaine?
His current bootycall was part of a group that Elaine was hired to help.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 12:33:28 AM »
Fair point.

Though she's not necessarily going to be sharing that info with him.  What with her trying to have him kidnapped and tortured.  Or maybe she will.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 12:42:12 AM »
Fair point.

Though she's not necessarily going to be sharing that info with him.  What with her trying to have him kidnapped and tortured.  Or maybe she will.
Could be. She's a little off.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Marcone kept tabs on her to some extent or another.