Author Topic: Mother winters names.  (Read 4139 times)

Offline Rozarius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Mother winters names.
« on: August 23, 2018, 04:12:50 AM »
Been gone for a while but has anyone made the obvious connection to Baba Yaga?

Also Nox seems like a fitting one also. The first night who birth death destruction sleep dreams and pretty much everything that makes the world work. A primal goddess (if thats even what she was) older than the titans who's father was the raw chaos from which everything was formed. Even Zeus wouldn't mess with her

Wizard Sibelis

Re: Mother winters names.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 04:36:30 AM »
Yes.

Also Nox seems like a fitting one also. The first night who birth death destruction sleep dreams and pretty much everything that makes the world work. A primal goddess (if thats even what she was) older than the titans who's father was the raw chaos from which everything was formed. Even Zeus wouldn't mess with her
Mmmhmm...

Offline Rozarius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 05:26:43 AM »
Your response makes me think Nox has already been discussed anyone able to point me to the thread. My search fu is lame today and so is my net connection keeps dying ugh.

Offline Darkest-Before-Dawn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 09:45:41 AM »

Baba Yaga seems to be a separate entity. Jim once used her as an example of mantle gaining (I think it was something like, if Mab offed Baba Yaga, she would have to become her, and the Winter Lady would get a promotion). The RPG also mentions her as a separate character, an incredibly powerful and mysterious maybe-fae who Simon Pietrovich is pretty terrified by.

Wizard Sibelis

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 09:39:53 PM »
Your response makes me think Nox has already been discussed anyone able to point me to the thread. My search fu is lame today and so is my net connection keeps dying ugh.
They generally don't keep the threads that I wax eloquent on. Only those that look neat. Thank god they didn't run Einstein's lab. We'd have none of that genius expressed... Sooo many conversations and theories and little stepping stones in conversation I just can't point people towards. Ergo they usually aren't looking at the same page.
Baba Yaga is pretty easy though. the stone next to the cottage is her mortar and her stick is the pestle, together she can go anywhere and eat anything. Notice though they travel to the outer gates and on the reality side it's DR's cottage? Proof MW is wrapped up in the manifestation on both DR and the Gates themselves.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 02:36:14 AM »
Baba Yaga seems to be a separate entity. Jim once used her as an example of mantle gaining (I think it was something like, if Mab offed Baba Yaga, she would have to become her, and the Winter Lady would get a promotion). The RPG also mentions her as a separate character, an incredibly powerful and mysterious maybe-fae who Simon Pietrovich is pretty terrified by.

I mean, having to move up a step and be replaced as Queen by the Lady is exactly what would happen if Mab did pull off a coup on Mother Winter...

I'd call it inconclusive from the given info. Kringle and Vadderung are "technically" separate characters too, and I'd almost be surprised if both the Mothers don't have a range of different hats they can put on.

Offline Rozarius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 07:53:18 AM »
I mean, having to move up a step and be replaced as Queen by the Lady is exactly what would happen if Mab did pull off a coup on Mother Winter...

I'd call it inconclusive from the given info. Kringle and Vadderung are "technically" separate characters too, and I'd almost be surprised if both the Mothers don't have a range of different hats they can put on.

Very much this. Also baba yaga is supposed to have iron teeth. Very few thing in any more have much to do with iron and she's one of them. Of course you also have red caps in Fey lore with their iron shod boots but that doesn't seem to be a thing from what we saw of daddy red cap. Then again he might be a red cap not the red cap.

As for The Nox thing it also fits with darkness connection she is literally the first night that then gave birth to the day.

Offline Darkest-Before-Dawn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 08:25:27 AM »

Very true! They are thematically very similar characters so it wouldn't surprise me.

Offline hamiltond

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 04:29:44 AM »
I'm sure it's been discussed at some point but she is obviously The Cailleach, amongst other things.
Whaddya got for a fiery beam o death?!!
You got nuthin for a fiery beam o death!!!

"Mo Magic, Mo Problems"

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 08:26:27 AM »
Mother Winter has been confirmed as having multiple identities when Harry summoned her in Cold Days.

Quote from: Cold Days
will. “Ancient crone, harbinger!” I began, then raised my voice, louder. “Longest shadow! Darkest dream! She of the endless hunger, the iron teeth, the merciless jaws!” I poured more of my wind and my will into the words, and the inside of my grave rang with the sheer volume. “I am Harry Dresden, the Winter Knight, and I needs must speak with thee! Athropos! Skuld! Mother Winter, I summon thee!”

Butcher, Jim. Cold Days: The Dresden Files, Book Fourteen: 14 (The Dresden Files series) (p. 311). Little, Brown Book Group. Kindle Edition.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 11:28:06 AM »
Mother Winter has been confirmed as having multiple identities when Harry summoned her in Cold Days.
There are actually only two names used the other ones are descriptions. Athropos and skuld and they are norse and greek members of the fates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norns
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atropos

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 03:46:10 PM »

Given that Harry summons Mother Winter mentioning the iron teeth of Baba Yaga fame... I'd say disassociating her from Baba Yaga is harder than just seeing her as another face/name/mantle of the same being.

Wizard Sibelis

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 04:56:16 PM »
I'm sure it's been discussed at some point but she is obviously The Cailleach, amongst other things.
Heh, interesting one of her name translations is 'isle of man', she's literally described as an island!