Author Topic: The Growing Time Gap in DF Releases  (Read 19308 times)

Offline Hustead

• Lurker
    • View Profile
The Growing Time Gap in DF Releases
« on: August 06, 2018, 05:39:15 PM »
At the time of writing, it has now been more than four years since Skin Game was released in 2014. Prior to this, the longest gap between two Dresden novels was only two years between Cold Days and Skin Game. Prior to that, there was a new book every year, from 2000-2012 and there were even two books released in 2001.

What has changed? At this point, it's even been three years since any JB novel has been released at all (Aeronaut's Windlass). Only short stories. Brief Cases was a nice appetizer, but in no way filing. It's not that Jim is now suddenly trying to take on two series at once because he's already done that while managing to still get at least one book out per year from both the Dresden Files and Codex Alera from 2004-2008.

Is it just that Jim has reached a certain amount of success and doesn't feel he needs to generate as much book income any more or what is the deal?

It's pretty alarming to see one of our favorite authors go from such a steadfast and reliable crafter of stories on a regular basis to trending toward the new GRRM track of authoring one, maybe two, core books from his most popular series per decade.

It's also incredibly frustrating to seek updates about the series from the author's personal website and be offered no other details than a now 3-year old update that says Jim is back to writing Peace Talks after finishing the Aeronaut's Windlass and that "It’s still way too early for blurbs, preorders, release dates, and the like." No, the time that was way too early for that stuff was 2015. The time for that stuff was in 2016. It's now 2018. At this point, you're basically two years late on all that preamble stuff and at least a year late on actually delivering the book.

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The Growing Time Gap in DF Releases
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 02:32:50 AM »
The man is at his peak marketability, so he has a lot of side projects, appearances and so to take advantage. That’s not a complaint; I say good for him. It’s what all (most) action adventure popcorn fiction writers dream of achieving and congrats to him for reaching it. Early in his career, he struggled to make it and so pushed with book after book to make his name. Now that he has made it, I hope he’s enjoying himself and capitolising on his success. I read some people talked a bit about his personal life having some ups and downs, but I’ve no interest in his private affairs as that’s his business. Just remember to account for any author to be human like the rest of us with his or her own life to live beyond work.

It does make waiting for a new book longer for the fans, but there are plenty of other things to occupy one’s time in life. :)

Wizard Sibelis

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 02:50:17 AM »
Na, just like how the time between HP 4 and 5 was the longest, it's just the midterm hiatus. Chaos theory says that the system will stabilize in a repetition of the same data... and a huge churn out is due now. Point of fact when asked which Cons he plans to appear at this coming year the answer was none... I think that's cause he's staying in his newly built sanctuary and probably going to churn out a few books between just plain enjoying his new life.

Offline count_espire

• Participant
  • "I put on my robe and wizard hat"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 05:13:19 PM »
For tidbits of info, or just more from JB, can always follow him on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/user/jimbutcherauthor

Dresden files is by far my favorite series, but I also understand the author is human and has other commitments.  As Ananda states, he has to take advantage of his status, and I do not blame him for that.  Also, you said it yourself, he has been hammering books out since 2000...Think that earns him a break.
Plenty of other fantastic series out there to pass the time with; and/or can always reread the dresden series.  I audio book them while in rush hour traffic, which I have to say James Marsters is a pretty kick ass story teller.
Edmond Dantes:  Never forget that until the day when God shall deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is summed up in these two words, -- `Wait and hope.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 06:02:00 PM »
Just a little math.  He's written 15.  If he writes 22 than 7 books to go.  Figuring an average of a book a year divided between Cinder Spires and DF, then we're at 14 years to complete.  Let that average slip to three years and we're at 21.  Jim is 46.

Wizard Sibelis

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 04:15:14 PM »
Just a little math.  He's written 15.  If he writes 22 than 7 books to go.  Figuring an average of a book a year divided between Cinder Spires and DF, then we're at 14 years to complete.  Let that average slip to three years and we're at 21.  Jim is 46.
Get to the part where he owes us the enslavement of his living will into righting our books instead of just enjoying his life?
iirc from 2001 to now... 21 novels or so, a dozen short stories, a handful of comics, 4 anthologies worked on not his own, one tv show... I mean man, I'm not sure what there is to complain about here except our own selfishness in action.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 05:15:49 PM »
That is the nature of long running series with long running plot lines. People are curieus about what comes next. If the books are written especially well the cravings for the next book will start immediately after you finish the previous one.

Nothing wrong with that, just be a little bit civilised about it. Try to hide your sufferings, that is what we all do :)
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 07:55:00 PM »
[
Get to the part where he owes us the enslavement of his living will into righting our books instead of just enjoying his life?
iirc from 2001 to now... 21 novels or so, a dozen short stories, a handful of comics, 4 anthologies worked on not his own, one tv show... I mean man, I'm not sure what there is to complain about here except our own selfishness in action.
Well, I did math.  I didn't see any words to the effect that Mr. Butcher owes me anything.  If it means anything, it's a reflection of what I wish I had known before my sister introduced me to the books.  Since I read based on recommendations by people I trust, I haven't been in the habit of vetting series by the ability to complete them.  Something I am now doing.

Having said that.  I've rewarded Jim Well for his labors.  I own most of his works in multiple formats.  And will reward him again when Peace Talks is available.   If I had unlimited wealth I would contact his publisher offer him princely sums of money and see if he would let me see his outline.

However as a challenge, I suggest you show me a series configured the way Jim is doing the Dresden Files, that was completed.  If you can, I'll go buy all of them.  It will keep me busy.  I'm bored.  Normally long series with one protagonist have no ongoing back story woven into the narrative that is central to the main storyline and remains uncompleted until the final book.  You may have better knowledge than I do though.

Offline Hagbard Celine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 09:00:13 AM »
At the time of writing, it has now been more than four years since Skin Game was released in 2014. Prior to this, the longest gap between two Dresden novels was only two years between Cold Days and Skin Game. Prior to that, there was a new book every year, from 2000-2012 and there were even two books released in 2001.

What has changed?

Did you read his AMA?  Or listen to any of his recent podcast appearances?  He talks about why he basically hasn't been able to work for three years because of his house problems.
Never Whistle While You're Pissing!

Offline count_espire

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 02:57:08 PM »
However as a challenge, I suggest you show me a series configured the way Jim is doing the Dresden Files, that was completed.  If you can, I'll go buy all of them.  It will keep me busy.  I'm bored.  Normally long series with one protagonist have no ongoing back story woven into the narrative that is central to the main storyline and remains uncompleted until the final book.  You may have better knowledge than I do though.

Can always delve (if you have not) into the Dragon Lance Chronicles.  Dragons of Autumn Twilight is the first of the series, and avoid reading Dragons of Summer Flame until you have read the following: 
Legends Trilogy
Follow up with:
The Second Generation
Once you have those under your belt, then you can read DoSF.  Can also read all about the lore, heroes of old, races....needless to say, you will have plenty to read up on.
Also, DoAT came out in 1984; so plenty of used copies you can find everywhere.  When I left my original set with my brother as a farewell gift, I bought the first 30 books for $20 at goodwill.

Just want to add, while it's not as intricate as a spiderweb as Butcher does with Dresden, the books do constantly chain off one another getting you to explore more and more.
Edmond Dantes:  Never forget that until the day when God shall deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is summed up in these two words, -- `Wait and hope.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 03:02:15 PM »
The kate daniels series is nearly finished.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 03:51:32 PM »
Can always delve (if you have not) into the Dragon Lance Chronicles.  Dragons of Autumn Twilight is the first of the series, and avoid reading Dragons of Summer Flame until you have read the following: 
Legends Trilogy
Follow up with:
The Second Generation
Once you have those under your belt, then you can read DoSF.  Can also read all about the lore, heroes of old, races....needless to say, you will have plenty to read up on.
Also, DoAT came out in 1984; so plenty of used copies you can find everywhere.  When I left my original set with my brother as a farewell gift, I bought the first 30 books for $20 at goodwill.

Just want to add, while it's not as intricate as a spiderweb as Butcher does with Dresden, the books do constantly chain off one another getting you to explore more and more.

I'm aware of the titles, and have given thought in the past to reading them.  But they are trilogies taking place in an established world.  But the story lines are self contained stories in an open universe.  The backstory is completed in a trilogy, although other books exist in the same Universe.  What Jim is doing is closer in scope and function to JK Rowling's books. Just much longer.  That isn't a bad thing unless you're 67 and he's only on book 15. ;D  It isn't Jim's fault, I blame my father.  And Jim, bless him, will never be able to write as fast as I can read.
The kate daniels series is nearly finished.
I've looked at her in the past.  And if she write finis to the series and closes the loop I'll look closer.

I've also read the Kim Harrison "Hollows" novels.  13 books to a conclusion.  Not as good as Dresden but you can watch her mature as a writer over the course of the series.  Thank you both for your recommendations.

Offline count_espire

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 04:53:35 PM »
I'm aware of the titles, and have given thought in the past to reading them.  But they are trilogies taking place in an established world.  But the story lines are self contained stories in an open universe.  The backstory is completed in a trilogy, although other books exist in the same Universe. 

Reason I picked out particular titles for you to read.  They are all part of the same story, that keeps growing and just like early Harry Potter, you can put them down after each trilogy and be content, or continue on (With Rowling, the first 3 books read as individuals with simpler endings. It's not until the fourth book that you realize the larger game is afoot). Second generations was suggested so you understand some of the back story going into the final book.
Just food for thought if you are looking for a good story that is intertwined throughout two series to help pass some time. 

Offline Hustead

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 03:16:59 PM »
Did you read his AMA?  Or listen to any of his recent podcast appearances?  He talks about why he basically hasn't been able to work for three years because of his house problems.

No I did not because I don't go follow these authors around to appearances, monitor their personal lives or listen to podcasts. I just read a lot of books (and I don't reread — I move on and find new things). Jim's are some of my favorites, especially the Dresden series, and I don't feel like he owes us anything (other than maybe a new progress update on his website), but it's disconcerting to see such a big drop off in production all of a sudden from a guy that has been so reliable.

A year or maybe even two off for a break, sure we can all understand that, but at this point we've slipped well past that between major projects and sure we got a short story collection this summer and occasionally get a new story in comic form, but that's not the same and almost all of those short stories were republished in Brief Cases and there was little new writing included.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:19:26 PM by Hustead »

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 01:17:33 AM »
I feel your pain.  But.  Writing is an act of creation.  Sometimes creation is fast.  And sometimes it's slow.  And sometimes it up and quits.  He could be writing A Song of Ice and Fire.  The HBO series outran the rate of production of the novels.  And the last was published in 2011.  I'd read them, but because of Jim, I no longer read unfinished series.

Jim, or Mr. Butcher, since I really don't know him well enough to call him Jim, picked a really tough nut to attempt to crack.  Twenty or so novels finished by a 3 book finale.  I really like the Dresden Files, but I question his ability to maintain a focus for the period of time needed to produce the work he says he has imagined.  At 1 a year, that's 23 years.  In itself a long time to live in one character, particularly one where there is a complex back story.  I wish him well.