Author Topic: Who fixed Little Chicago?  (Read 12544 times)

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
Who fixed Little Chicago?
« on: August 04, 2018, 11:01:47 PM »
Cool, I just realized the board was back up!!! Yay!

I’ve been rereading the books in preparation for going to Chicago in April for Star wars Celebrations. :) In reading Proven Guilty, it occured to me that only Harry could have fixed the mistake in his model. Whoever fixed it had to 1) Know LC existed, 2) Know its inner workings, 3) Get through the threshold, 4) get through Harry’s wards, and 5) Not be seen by Bob. Only future Harry could have done all of the above, and warn Bob not to say too much about the intruder.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 11:03:24 PM by Stiletto »
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Who fixed Little Chicago?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 12:10:04 AM »
You might find this similar thread interesting. Juxtaposition, Who fixed LC?  Welcome back.

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 12:31:17 AM »
Thanks! :) Though not much discussion there of time traveling Harry.
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Wizard Sibelis

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 12:55:44 AM »
Harry, the Calvin and Hobbs book says it all for the creation behind it. The creator named Clavin after a 16th century theologian who believed in predestination and Hobbs was based upon his own house cat's personality, who would barrel into his legs when he came home(sound vaguely familiar that one? :) ) His view point from Calvin(being alive) vs others(doll) is not to denote a separate fantasy, but that reality is a perspective of the viewer. This reps the observers effect applied to TT, reality shifts based upon you knowledge or lack of it.
So Calvin and Hobbs represent Harry and Mister(also Bob?) and the comic is from Harry directly. It's the cluebat time travel was there, not who left it, but the hidden meaning behind what was left!

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 01:24:09 AM »
I think it would be a mistake to conclude future Harry is the only one who even could have. Mab doesn't do altruistic freebies, but she's plenty capable of getting through the wards and preventing Harry from blowing himself up if she had a utilitarian, Mab-centric reason for preserving him. Given WOJ that the resolution to PG was favourable to Mab, making sure he lived to get there was probably consistent enough with her rational self-interest to justify intervening.

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 01:36:57 AM »
Could Mab get through the ward, the threshold, and have the knowledge and skill to tinker with complicated mortal magic? While treating Lea at the same time?

Do we have WoJ the Calvin and Hobbes book was “left” there for Harry to find? I assumed it was a sign of Harry’s lack of organization.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 01:48:52 AM »
Yeah, I like Mab for the deed.  And Harry had a back door to fairy in his subbasement.  Since Lea was playing and Ice princess  Mab could have entered.

Having never read Calvin and Hobbes I had to research and turned up this. One is left to wonder, does Mab have a since of humor?
Calvin often creates horrendous/dark humor scenes with his snowmen. He uses the snowman for social commentary, revenge, or pure enjoyment. Examples include Snowman Calvin being yelled at by Snowman Dad to shovel the snow; one snowman eating snow cones scooped out of a second snowman, who is lying on the ground with an ice-cream scoop in his back; a "snowman house of horror"; and snowmen representing the people he hates. "The ones I really hate are small, so they'll melt faster," he says. There was even an occasion on which Calvin accidentally brought a snowman to life and it made itself and a small army into "deranged mutant killer monster snow goons."
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 12:40:48 PM by morriswalters »

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 01:50:14 AM »
Could Mab get through the ward, the threshold, and have the knowledge and skill to tinker with complicated mortal magic? While treating Lea at the same time?
Yes, as seen by Cat Sith being able to enter past a threshold as long as he meant no harm to the occupants.  She's got the skill to tinker with it, the only likely issue would be if, like Toot and languages, she has a more instinctual knowledge of magic that makes mortal magic on a different wavelength (like Bob and faith).  As for Lea, possibly she could just put her on ice for a few moments.
Do we have WoJ the Calvin and Hobbes book was “left” there for Harry to find? I assumed it was a sign of Harry’s lack of organization.
We have no such thing, anything anyone says about it is pure speculation.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 05:24:58 PM »

Easily. Lea has expended significant effort on making sure Harry's dwelling maps to her garden when making Ways between earth and the NN. Mab can just step through, inside the wards and the threshold, and do anything compatible with behaving as a good guest (which also explains why, if she was there, she didn't destroy Bob ... although I suspect she's more interested in keeping him scared enough to lay low and stay quiet about the immortality loophole than sincerely committed to destroying him).

And mortal magic is mostly similar to fae magic. The ability to teach him to be far better at it than he is was one of the perks she dangled in one of her earlier offers to try to recruit him for the Winter Knight. For that matter, she's probably far enough ahead of Harry to seamlessly disarm his wards and go in through the front door, if she wanted to.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 07:03:13 PM »
Mab was Harry’s acting godmother with all Lea’s obligations.

Mab could enter Harry’s apartment as easily as the brownies who cleaned it as long as she behaved like a good guest.

Mortal magic and Sidhe magic don’t differ that much.

Motive, opportunity and means.

Oh and Calvin and hobs are clearly winter based. Winter wonderland based.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 07:05:57 PM »
Stiletto,

Cool, I just realized the board was back up!!! Yay!

I’ve been rereading the books in preparation for going to Chicago in April for Star wars Celebrations. :) In reading Proven Guilty, it occured to me that only Harry could have fixed the mistake in his model. Whoever fixed it had to 1) Know LC existed, 2) Know its inner workings, 3) Get through the threshold, 4) get through Harry’s wards, and 5) Not be seen by Bob. Only future Harry could have done all of the above, and warn Bob not to say too much about the intruder.

That's my take too.  Couple that with the fact that this book seems to deal with the back side of Time Travel with the warning that Harry received from the Gatekeeper at the start of the book.  Harry is the most likely candidate for having fixed "little Chicago".
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 02:49:21 AM »
I had always assumed that it was Uriel that did it, all things considered.

It's ... totally something that he'd do.
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 03:14:56 AM »

If he wants to fall. It is totally something he is not allowed to do.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 12:17:43 PM »
Drashna,

Urial gifts power and knowledge to people we haven’t seem him act directly.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 01:08:13 PM »
Drashna,

Urial gifts power and knowledge to people we haven’t seem him act directly.
And even that he can only do under certain circumstances.
SH[Elaine+++]