Author Topic: Will the Big Moment Come in Peace Talks?  (Read 19786 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Will the Big Moment Come in Peace Talks?
« on: August 02, 2018, 02:44:22 PM »

As I said, find it hard to get excited about Mirror Mirror, that is at least one book off, plus x amount of short stories...  I am much more interested in the next book, in particular what Rashid said to Harry on the dock on Demonreach in Turn Coat.. Mainly that his hour to confront the Senior Council was not over Morgan..  He implied that in some time in the future he would confront the Senior Council, but didn't elaborate....  My question is will this happen in Peace Talks?  But if you insist,it could happen in Mirror Mirror... Our universe Harry goes before the other universe Senior Council and tells them they have to kill his evil twin... All the while they are trying to kill him because he violated the Laws by showing up in the first place.

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Will the Big Moment Come in Peace Talks?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 09:00:50 PM »
I don’t know when or if it will happen, but, like you, I think it will be more interesting if it doesn’t happen in a parallel universe. As winter knight, I’d think Dresden should be out of the Council’s jurisdiction so he should have more latitude to act without consequence from them.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:07:46 PM by Ananda »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 09:04:34 PM »
Probably much later. Just before or in the apocalyptic triology. In Peace talks Harry is still not powerful and experienced enough for this and the next two books are probably not that much about the council.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 10:31:07 PM »
I don’t know when or if it will happen, but, like you, I think it will be more interesting if it doesn’t happen in a parallel universe. As winter knight, I’d think Dresden should be out of the Council’s jurisdiction so he should have more latitude to act without consequence from them.
Yeah, but the Council disagrees with you.  And for that matter, so does Mab.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 12:09:04 AM »
I do think Harry's "Fuck Yous" to the Council will get louder and more direct.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Carl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 02:53:55 AM »
Probably much later. Just before or in the apocalyptic triology. In Peace talks Harry is still not powerful and experienced enough for this and the next two books are probably not that much about the council.

Given what peace talks is you can guarantee that at least some of the senior council will feature. It may not be about them but thats never stopped Harry from telling certain members where to shove themselves.
Possibly Ivy and Molly's biggest fan, i'm too chivalrous and kind for my own damm good. A bit like a certain Wizard we all know :).

Molly should get this shirt.

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 02:57:51 AM »
Yeah, but the Council disagrees with you.  And for that matter, so does Mab.
They do? I can’t remember him having any interaction with the council since Changes. Besides chatting with Rashid, have I forgotten something?

Offline Carl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 02:59:45 AM »
Word of Jim on the matter.
Possibly Ivy and Molly's biggest fan, i'm too chivalrous and kind for my own damm good. A bit like a certain Wizard we all know :).

Molly should get this shirt.

Offline kbrizzle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 04:55:51 AM »
It seems likely this will happen during the BAT. Here’s how I see it going down:

Either
Harry is unable to stop the corruption of the Council by the likes of Christos/ Nemesis, who cause the Council to become even more hostile towards Dresden.

Or
Harry decides to stash someone the Council really wants, but is innocent a la Morgan. This time Harry decides it will go according to his terms.

Whenever Harry’s “hour” arrives, it will be at a time Harry has learned to harness the power of the well on Demonreach, so when he challenges the Council or Senior Council he can put up a real fight.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 04:56:50 AM »
I don't think he will confront the Council in Peace Talks.  I think it will be more of a BAT type deal.  Changes was kind of like wrapping up a chapter in a book.  I think Peace Talks is like going back to Grave Peril where the war with the Reds was kicked off.  Just like a big decision was made in Grave Peril, there will be one made in Peace Talks which is kind of cool that Mirror Mirror will be the following book to highlight this.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 05:06:39 AM »
Given what peace talks is you can guarantee that at least some of the senior council will feature. It may not be about them but thats never stopped Harry from telling certain members where to shove themselves.
But that is nothing special, that is just Harry being Harry. Peace talks will show that Harry is still a member with all the rights and obligations that brings.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 05:31:54 AM »
They do? I can’t remember him having any interaction with the council since Changes. Besides chatting with Rashid, have I forgotten something?
Sidhe thinking. Since when can you get rid of an obligation or debt just by taking up another one? Medieval thinking. If you have fiefs in two kingdoms you have to serve two kings and figuring out how to do so is your problem.

The idea that you can have only one nationality, master, etc. is relatively modern and even now far from universally accepted. My wife has two passports, no problem at all.

Mab takes these obligations very seriously. Lea mentoring Molly and helping her protecting Chicago as the ragged lady showed that as well.

There may be conflicts but Mab will not on purpose prevent Harry from his obligations. Worst case that would mean Mab would have to fulfill them in some way.

Everything points to the council having a similar way of thinking. Harry is not the first wizard making deals outside the council and they just claim all wizards regardless of their other obligations.

Besides, they are paying his salary.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 06:17:26 PM »
Sidhe thinking. Since when can you get rid of an obligation or debt just by taking up another one? Medieval thinking. If you have fiefs in two kingdoms you have to serve two kings and figuring out how to do so is your problem.

The idea that you can have only one nationality, master, etc. is relatively modern and even now far from universally accepted. My wife has two passports, no problem at all.

Mab takes these obligations very seriously. Lea mentoring Molly and helping her protecting Chicago as the ragged lady showed that as well.

There may be conflicts but Mab will not on purpose prevent Harry from his obligations. Worst case that would mean Mab would have to fulfill them in some way.

Everything points to the council having a similar way of thinking. Harry is not the first wizard making deals outside the council and they just claim all wizards regardless of their other obligations.

Besides, they are paying his salary.
That all makes sense and seems logical, but I just don’t see the white council arresting and executing Molly, for example, if they meet up in Peace Talks. I’d think they’d be equally stand-offish regarding arresting and executing Dresden for something he does as winter knight while conducting business for Mab. I think, for the moment, he and Molly are a bit out of their grasp. Moreso for Molly. They just need to watch out if the day comes and they are no longer part of the winter court because, then, I think, the white council would come to make them pay the bill.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 08:17:15 PM »

The Council isn't going to touch Molly as long as she is the Winter Lady... No way are they about to piss off Mab and start a war with the Winter Court.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 08:24:26 PM »
Molly is not human anymore, according to the councils definition of human. That will place her outside the councils jurisdiction.
SH[Elaine+++]