Author Topic: Little things I noticed in the Dresden Files  (Read 13729 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Little things I noticed in the Dresden Files
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2018, 05:07:20 AM »
It's not an RPG. Just being able to do 9999 damage doesn't mean he's going to instantly win every fight.
Without a light sabre he couldn't win any at all.  It's the only weapon Butters could wield that could make him a knight.  That answers the question, why a light sabre? 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2018, 06:04:59 AM »
Without a light sabre he couldn't win any at all.  It's the only weapon Butters could wield that could make him a knight.  That answers the question, why a light sabre?
Because that is how butters mind works.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2018, 06:01:18 AM »
I think you should flip that around. A Knight of the Cross always stands a chance in a fight. The Light Sabre is Butters' way of explaining to himself why he has a chance, where Michael took his confidence from his sword skills (and note even Butters is training to learn better).

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2018, 11:34:53 AM »
I think you should flip that around. A Knight of the Cross always stands a chance in a fight. The Light Sabre is Butters' way of explaining to himself why he has a chance, where Michael took his confidence from his sword skills (and note even Butters is training to learn better).
I suppose in the Dresdenverse, guys in their mid 40's can take up combat specialties.  In the real world, mortals of that age are on the downward slide towards old age.  Sword fighters become good sword fighters because they have the base talent to become so.  A large part of that is physicality and good hand eye coordination.  They start young, and they practice every day.

We'll see.

Wizard Sibelis

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2018, 03:41:37 PM »
I suppose in the Dresdenverse, guys in their mid 40's can take up combat specialties.  In the real world, mortals of that age are on the downward slide towards old age.  Sword fighters become good sword fighters because they have the base talent to become so.  A large part of that is physicality and good hand eye coordination.  They start young, and they practice every day.

We'll see.
Surgeon level coordination and an item that cuts like a scalpel, scalpel weight and with it's own cauterizer. Yea, poor guy won't know how to Larp a lightsaber at 40+ years of nerdism either....
Training and cross training, I got good at chi sau and coordination by being a cashier and handing money back as lightly and efficiently as possible.
....and what about these mortals? -.- Your not one of us, you gave it away with that turn of phrase! ;D

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2018, 05:47:09 PM »
I'm really a ghost, my body just hasn't figured it out yet. 

I'll remind you that Butters become a corpse cutter cause he didn't like working on the  the living.  However I bought into dew drop faeries and PI Wizards, so I can live with this.

And at least we know that if Butters ever meets a rampaging M1A1 in Chicago, that he can cut it to ribbons. :o

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2018, 05:06:39 PM »

We'll see.
Well, I imagine Butters-who-trained-in-his-forties is still better than Butters-who-never-trains. I don't expect him to get close to Michael's level, but given the lightsaber he won't need to get close.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2018, 11:31:59 AM »
Talk about telegraphing. ;D  From Ghost Story.
"When are you going to get in this ring and train like a man?"
"About five minutes after I get a functional lightsaber,"  Butters replied easily,