Author Topic: Faerie Kisses  (Read 3455 times)

Offline Magogthemighty

• Participant
    • View Profile
Faerie Kisses
« on: August 18, 2018, 04:01:36 PM »
I have a question for the collective hive mind of Dresden Files based on the short story Cold Case.

(click to show/hide)

In Cold Case, it seems that Faerie kisses for the Winter Sidhe have different meanings depending on whether they are kisses to the lips (to seal a pact) or to the forehead.  It seems like in the latter case, it is a grant of protection. Does this gibe with the way Lea and Mab use kisses? I'm curious about whether there is a more developed theory out there than mine...

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Faerie Kisses
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 04:53:58 PM »
I would say that a Fae kiss is a multi-function bonding action that endows the other individual with the Fae's intent, whether it be a Kiss of Death, Protection, or other.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 04:56:26 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure it's specifically codified to specific parts of the body that get kissed. It's probably more like a handshake or signature -- no matter where the lips go, it's essentially saying, "I promise to abide by the above agreement."
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 05:00:53 PM »
Gee, I wonder what would happen if Lea kissed a guy where only a guy could get kissed? Sorry, vulgarity comes too easy for me. LOL
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 06:01:14 PM »
Gee, I wonder what would happen if Lea kissed a guy where only a guy could get kissed? Sorry, vulgarity comes too easy for me. LOL
I imagine that would be to seal a very important deal.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 12:26:10 AM »

Sounds like a Svartalve deal, from what was revealed in Bombshells

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 04:37:59 AM »
I suspect it would freeze and fall off.  No great loss for someone who would propose such a thing to Lea, since he would already have shown he has no brain.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 07:37:01 PM »

Odin and Leah appeared to do something similar while deal making didn't they? lol.  I wonder if it's like this...  It used to be a handshake was a way of making a deal.  Well the Sidhe it's much deeper than that.  So it's symbolized by something deeper than a simple handshake.  Or it could just be they are horny, and as Jim would say it's more fun. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Carl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 06:08:35 PM »
Wait did i miss somthing from cold case, (it's possibble given all the wow moment i did ofc), the only time i remember Molly kissing anyone is Rameriez at the end, and that was first lust and second part of her apologising to him for what happened.
Possibly Ivy and Molly's biggest fan, i'm too chivalrous and kind for my own damm good. A bit like a certain Wizard we all know :).

Molly should get this shirt.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 06:12:05 PM »
Wait did i miss somthing from cold case, (it's possibble given all the wow moment i did ofc), the only time i remember Molly kissing anyone is Rameriez at the end, and that was first lust and second part of her apologising to him for what happened.
Early in the story, when they decide to work together, Ramirez puts out his hand to shake, but Molly smooches him, and her inner monologue remarks that apparently Winter Sidhe seal deals differently.

Offline Carl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 06:18:41 PM »
Early in the story, when they decide to work together, Ramirez puts out his hand to shake, but Molly smooches him, and her inner monologue remarks that apparently Winter Sidhe seal deals differently.

Ahhh thank you for jogging the old memory, i remember that. I read it as another expression of the innate high lust Molly was suffering from. I don't recall kisses featuring in all past winter fae deals. So my suspicion is somthing specific to the circumstances determines what the expression of agreement to a deal is.
Possibly Ivy and Molly's biggest fan, i'm too chivalrous and kind for my own damm good. A bit like a certain Wizard we all know :).

Molly should get this shirt.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 09:18:26 PM »
Mab giving Harry the mantle seems to be a pretty good indicator of deal making, Mab style.