Author Topic: Who are minor Characters you want to see again  (Read 10877 times)

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Who are minor Characters you want to see again
« on: July 30, 2018, 04:20:59 PM »
I really hope we see Daniel (I want to know what happened after he was wounded), Fitz (I want to know who he is), and Agent Tilly (I want to see what he's creating to fight supernatural threats).

:)
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Who are minor Characters you want to see again
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 04:25:46 PM »
I agree for Tilly, I want to see him again. Fitz, eh.
I also want to see Nick Angel, Harry's mentor. And I want to know what happened to Lydia.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 04:36:03 PM »

Playing devil's advocate here, while I too would like to see these characters again, they take up page space.   They also can take away from the main characters.   I think the series is arriving at a time when the story needs more focus which means paring down not up, characters.  Devote a page or two to Nick Angel and that may take away from Maggie, Mouse, Bonnie, etc... 

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 06:31:45 PM »
Lara Raith...  She was a fascinating character to me.  Same with Lord Raith.  I feel like he had such a deep impact on Harry's life, and it's really not been addressed like it should have I don't think.  He murdered Harry's mom which ultimately resulted in him being orphaned later on.  It's never really gotten much attention. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 06:56:53 PM »
I want to find out what the hell happened to Abby! Two books since Ghost Story and nobody's so much as mentioned whether she survived getting shot.

Playing devil's advocate here, while I too would like to see these characters again, they take up page space.   They also can take away from the main characters.   I think the series is arriving at a time when the story needs more focus which means paring down not up, characters.  Devote a page or two to Nick Angel and that may take away from Maggie, Mouse, Bonnie, etc...
Dresden lives in a big world, and Jim doesn't have an upper limit on pages. If he writes about Nick Angel, that doesn't mean he has to cut something about Mouse. Books don't work like that.

Dresden's world is believable because there are minor characters who live their own lives, then pop in and out of Harry's. Having the series focus just on Harry, Murphy and his immediate household would make the world smaller and that's clearly not the direction Jim's been taking things.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 02:56:34 AM »
Cat Sith
Mavra
Deirdre
That ordo lebes woman with the little dog
Tessa
The naagloshii (as long as it gets to eat more people)
Vadderung’s receptionists
Stevie D (but only if he’s with Kenny G and they do an amazing interpretive dance/musical number)
Oh, and the fluffy bird denarian. How much would it suck to pick up the coin to get awesome super powers only to be transformed into a stinky bird? That guy oozes pathos. There could be a whole book just about him.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 03:00:37 AM by Ananda »

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 05:21:44 AM »
Cat Sith
Mavra
Deirdre
Tessa
Stevie D (but only if he’s with Kenny G and they do an amazing interpretive dance/musical number)
Oh, and the fluffy bird denarian. How much would it suck to pick up the coin to get awesome super powers only to be transformed into a stinky bird? That guy oozes pathos. There could be a whole book just about him.
Haha, yes. The receptionists who use steel office desks as scratching posts. Imagine the horrible sound it makes *shudders*
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 05:48:42 AM »
Dresden lives in a big world, and Jim doesn't have an upper limit on pages. If he writes about Nick Angel, that doesn't mean he has to cut something about Mouse. Books don't work like that.

Dresden's world is believable because there are minor characters who live their own lives, then pop in and out of Harry's. Having the series focus just on Harry, Murphy and his immediate household would make the world smaller and that's clearly not the direction Jim's been taking things.
Eh...  Jim has said that was the reason that Harry didn't bring in every single possible ally for the raid on Chichen Itza.  That he just couldn't manage that.  So in a way, there is only a finite amount of people Jim can use.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 09:26:06 AM »
Harry usually invites a some guests to his last-battle-of-the-book party. I think the first book is the only book where he went into battle alone.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 02:04:35 PM »
Cat Sith
Mavra
Deirdre
Tessa
Half that list are major antagonists, not minor characters.

Eh...  Jim has said that was the reason that Harry didn't bring in every single possible ally for the raid on Chichen Itza.  That he just couldn't manage that.  So in a way, there is only a finite amount of people Jim can use.
There's a difference between not being able to handle more than a dozen characters in one ongoing sequence and what Mira was describing.

Having Billy and Georgia along for the raid might have made it harder for Jim to keep track of things in that sequence; but having Harry stop by there for a beer and a quick cameo doesn't mean Jim has to later cut a scene involving Mouse and Maggie.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 02:35:19 PM »
Half that list are major antagonists, not minor characters.
There's a difference between not being able to handle more than a dozen characters in one ongoing sequence and what Mira was describing.

Having Billy and Georgia along for the raid might have made it harder for Jim to keep track of things in that sequence; but having Harry stop by there for a beer and a quick cameo doesn't mean Jim has to later cut a scene involving Mouse and Maggie.
Wasnt Georgia pregnant by then anyway?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 02:48:49 PM »
Wasnt Georgia pregnant by then anyway?
Well, yeah, but we didn't know that until the story published afterward, so thanks to the murky way cause and effect works in fiction, Georgia might not have been eight-months pregnant until Jim decided to write Aftermath.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 02:52:29 PM »
I really wonder why Harry didn't try to get Elaine to come to CI.  She would have been a huge help.  I've thought about Carlos, but clearly he was already otherwise occupied.  But not seeking Elaine's help has always puzzled me.  She would have been able to stand in for Molly had Molly stayed behind to "man the phones" as she should have.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 02:54:44 PM »
I really wonder why Harry didn't try to get Elaine to come to CI.  She would have been a huge help.  I've thought about Carlos, but clearly he was already otherwise occupied.  But not seeking Elaine's help has always puzzled me.  She would have been able to stand in for Molly had Molly stayed behind to "man the phones" as she should have.
She's based in L.A. for a start.

Plus, it was weird and awkward enough for Harry to have one of his exes on the mission. Two of them would've been a nightmare.

More seriously, though, I'm not sure Harry fully trusts her enough for something like this.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 04:14:02 PM »
Harry got ti Nevada lickty split how much harder would a crossroads like LA be?  As for trust I see your point but he works with her on the Paranet which has sensitive information and he does seem to trust her to some degree.

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC