Author Topic: Golden Fleece IOP - gamebreaking or cool?  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Branagon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Golden Fleece IOP - gamebreaking or cool?
« on: July 23, 2018, 06:46:07 PM »
Item of Power (Golden Fleece) [-2] -
                   Supernatural Recovery [-4]
                   The Catch (Attacks of a lover) [+0]
                   One time discount [+2]

The issue is in the exchanging of this item among PCs. Would this jeopardize game balance?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Golden Fleece IOP - gamebreaking or cool?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 07:29:27 PM »
You can’t exchange IoPs because the refresh has to be paid by someone.  That said, you could spend Fate Points equal to the refresh of the total powers to use them temporarily. (Usually, a scene)

Otherwise, you might have to design it differently.  If you have a wizard who can craft items, you might be able to have similar powers but it would use his enchanted item slots.

Edit: allowing all the pcs to recover from wounds by sharing an iop would be a bit game breaking.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:36:58 PM by Taran »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 07:42:31 AM »
Items of Power can be lent at a cost of 1 FP per scene, but the Power writeup is pretty clear that it's not meant to be a regular thing. Almost never happens in play, in my experience.

Constantly handing around a healing item like that one could easily cause balance problems.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 02:19:33 PM »
Items of Power can be lent at a cost of 1 FP per scene, but the Power writeup is pretty clear that it's not meant to be a regular thing. Almost never happens in play, in my experience.

Constantly handing around a healing item like that one could easily cause balance problems.
Could it be reworked such that it remains bonded to a primary wielder and instead it grants that bonded person the ability to buff allies? Physcially speaking it's the same in that they'd still have to drape it over the intended buff target and can only buff a single ally at a time, but it's not literally passing the IoP around the table, it would still be tied to the primary's refresh.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 03:10:43 PM »
I did something similar for the resource collection, clicking on the last page will provide the healing spring.

given what a FP costs and does, I'd say only game breaking if your game is, well, already broken. That's a FP that could have made a semi-permanent declaration, bumped up a resource roll by a factor of 100, powered a ritual. That required a serious concession to get in the 1st place.

If other PCs are faffing FPs away on insignificant things, then this IOP would have the advantage of reminding them how valuable they are.
A post of "I don't understand" will be ignored. The comment needs to say *what* bits you don't understand, and what bits you think you do, to be be worth responding to.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 08:58:10 PM »
FP are not that scarce. "Faffing them away" is both the intended way to use them and the way they're generally used. Moreover, it's often the best way to use them; high-impact FP-spending opportunities are rarer than FP are.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 11:26:09 PM »
A far as I remember, you need to spend fp equal to the refresh of the power you are borrowing.  So 2 fp.  I have no problem with doing it this way but the item definitely shouldn’t be shared freely without a cost.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 03:44:00 AM »
That's for temporary Powers in general. IoP lending is a special case; it says so on YS 167-168.