Author Topic: White Court Vampires and True Love  (Read 2766 times)

Offline lordphrofet

• Lurker
    • View Profile
White Court Vampires and True Love
« on: July 23, 2018, 01:54:52 AM »
I have a character in my upcoming game who is unquestionably "protected by true love". In the books the mere touch hurts the White Court vampires but I do not understand how it is supposed to work mechanically in the RPG. Can someone explain it in detail for me?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: White Court Vampires and True Love
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 04:08:39 AM »
It would work as a compel on the vampire's high concept.  The player could use a fp to invoke his/her aspect 'Protected by True Love', to compel the vampire.  The vampire gets a FP and gets compelled.

Could also be used as the vampire's catch...maybe?  If they can somehow...weaponize their love?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 06:02:54 PM »
It's not just the touch -- it's attempts to feed that specifically hurt the vampires.

So in this case, if a vampire uses Incite Emotion to try and feed on them, they'd get blow-back in the form of a compel, possibly resulting in damage.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 07:19:45 AM »
It's not just the touch -- it's attempts to feed that specifically hurt the vampires.

Correct. The only White Court that get burned just by touching are those completely out of control like Madeline Raith, who try to feed instinctively/habitually whenever they touch a mortal. (Thomas gets burned when he touches Justine for a similar reason, but in his case it only applies to her; in BR/DB/PG/WN when Harry is under True Love protection, Thomas can touch him just fine without getting burned, since he's not trying to feed on Harry.)

So in this case, if a vampire uses Incite Emotion to try and feed on them, they'd get blow-back in the form of a compel, possibly resulting in damage.

I think it would actually require use of Emotional Vampire to feed, not just Incite Emotion - in BR and WN Harry gets hit with the lust-waves without burning the Raiths, it's only direct feeding that burns them.

EDIT: And True Love only protects against lust-feeding White Court, like the Raiths; if you meet a Malvora or Skavis, you need True Courage or True Hope.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 07:30:50 AM »
Also, if your attacks are somehow infused with true love/courage/hope, you can inflict wounds that ignore the Recovery Powers WCVs have. Unarmed attacks from such a protected character ought to qualify.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 02:29:25 PM »
Also of note, items given in true love can burn the vampire whether they're feeding or not. Lara has a scar on her hand from picking up a wedding ring, and Thomas mentions that Madeline was sick for a while after pricking herself on a rose given from one lover to another.

That might be the best way to weaponize it.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast