Author Topic: Black Magic, Addiction, and Becoming a Warlock  (Read 6007 times)

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Black Magic, Addiction, and Becoming a Warlock
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 10:31:56 AM »
Well to me an addiction is a type of high that a person gets and feels that they need to do or they feel horrible.  So I don't see warlocks and black magic like that.  I just see them twisting into someone who gets more and more comfortable with doing horrible things.

But it isn't all external, remember the Ulsharavas in Death Masks, told Harry he was stained with black magic..  Harry replied that most of it wasn't his, but he had made some bad calls.  The Ulsharavas continued to talk to him because it determined that Harry was being honest about this.  So honesty, as far as not lying to yourself as in many an addiction that it can be a problem is the first step.

Wizard Sibelis

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 10:54:46 AM »
Think you're talking about Tony Robbins.  Yes I have listened to that talk of his.  (His example was robbing someone at gun point)
What the... I claim Mandela effect!? lol
It brings uncertainty (action/variety/excitement), and, significance (you are really significant to that other person right now), fulfilling 2 of life's essential things.  If memory serves he has 6 things?  Certainty/security, uncertainty/variety, connection/love, significance, growth, and contribution.

Well to me an addiction is a type of high that a person gets and feels that they need to do or they feel horrible.  So I don't see warlocks and black magic like that.  I just see them twisting into someone who gets more and more comfortable with doing horrible things.
idk I think Hannah Ascher kinda had that get high personality, and iirc after Harry ate Kravos he was kinda punch drunk on confidence and power for a minute. Feeling powerful and important is a drug all it's own of course. But mayhaps we just haven't seen from the perspective of anyone that ass deep in Black Magic addiction? Mmm makes me hope Mirror mirror is written from both Harry's perspectives... which would incidentally fix the soul gaze problem, but wouldn't it be awesome if it was from MM Harry only the whole book O.o we'd get to see someones first and genuine reaction to having to deal with Harry.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 11:17:10 AM »
But it isn't all external, remember the Ulsharavas in Death Masks, told Harry he was stained with black magic..  Harry replied that most of it wasn't his, but he had made some bad calls.  The Ulsharavas continued to talk to him because it determined that Harry was being honest about this.  So honesty, as far as not lying to yourself as in many an addiction that it can be a problem is the first step.
Getting off black magic is about changing yourself. That is not easy and if you are not honest to yourself about it you do not know where to start.

The Ulsharavas tried to help Harry in that road.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 04:51:20 PM »

I don't think it's addictive in a literal, chemical dependency sense. IMO it's a matter of, a person's actions always shape who they are, but magic does it much more strongly since the connection between the act of will and the result is far more direct.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 09:49:27 PM »
Getting off black magic is about changing yourself. That is not easy and if you are not honest to yourself about it you do not know where to start.

The Ulsharavas tried to help Harry in that road.

Like a lot of addictions, a big part of it is the denial that one has a problem...  Harry ran into that with Lasciel's shadow, the thought he was handling her and the power upgrade, but he wasn't... Kudos to Murphy for setting him straight that time.. Yes, Arjan I didn't always dislike her..

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 09:52:16 PM »
Like a lot of addictions, a big part of it is the denial that one has a problem...  Harry ran into that with Lasciel's shadow, the thought he was handling her and the power upgrade, but he wasn't... Kudos to Murphy for setting him straight that time.. Yes, Arjan I didn't always dislike her..
Her function in the story did not really change in that respect but Harry in cold days just was further gone and needed more obvious reminders.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]