Author Topic: Who is the guy with an English accent in the cell at Demonreach?  (Read 14757 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Working on the assumption that Butcher doesn't throw out random noise, why does he point at that particular prisoner?  Is he perhaps the original Merlin?  Or someone else of importance?

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Who is the guy with an English accent in the cell at Demonreach?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 12:42:00 AM »
There are many theories on that one.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline pcpoet

• Conversationalist
  • life is a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 07:34:30 AM »
its James Marster being punished for not being available to do the voice work for the audio Cold days. 
I am who I am that's all that I am from my head to my toe that's all that I am.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 10:54:28 AM »
Working on the assumption that Butcher doesn't throw out random noise, why does he point at that particular prisoner?  Is he perhaps the original Merlin?  Or someone else of importance?
The original merlin spoke old welsh, why would he have a english accent?
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 03:36:06 PM »
Well, because Dresden doesn't speak old welsh. ;)

More seriously in my admittedly twisted reasoning, it places his origin, the UK.  He also uses the phrase, "Go away, boy."  And if my mind hasn't completely failed me, Ebenezer uses similar syntax a couple of times. As in this example from Changes.
“I want you to help save millions or billions of little girls, boy,” he said, his own voice dropping into a hard, hard growl. “Not throw them away for the sake of one.”
  And Ebenezer's diaries and those of the Master's in his line, begin with Merlin, don't they?

It's thin, and I'm open to other alternatives.
There are many theories on that one.
Can you point me at any?
its James Marster being punished for not being available to do the voice work for the audio Cold days. 
I could have sworn that in my audible copy, James Marsters was reading.  Who knew?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 05:13:41 PM »
Well, because Dresden doesn't speak old welsh. ;)

More seriously in my admittedly twisted reasoning, it places his origin, the UK.  He also uses the phrase, "Go away, boy."  And if my mind hasn't completely failed me, Ebenezer uses similar syntax a couple of times. As in this example from Changes.   And Ebenezer's diaries and those of the Master's in his line, begin with Merlin, don't they?

It's thin, and I'm open to other alternatives.Can you point me at any?I could have sworn that in my audible copy, James Marsters was reading.  Who knew?
it was recorded again with Masters when he was available again. There are two different recordings of Ghost Story in circulation.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 06:02:29 PM »

For the same reason Rashid speaks English.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 06:42:27 PM »
For the same reason Rashid speaks English.
Current welsh have a different accent when they speak english. And why would he take the effort of learning the accent? The language is usefull but...

To have an english accent that must mean that he was free until pretty,  recently and spent some time with english speakers. He must have been locked up pretty recently because even english from a few centuries ago would have sounded differently.

Unless there is some magic at play here. He does not speak an understandable language at all and the translation magic chose the accent because it was fitting.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 07:09:04 PM »
In much the same way that Harry is getting words from other monsters, threats, blandishments, etc... I'm pretty confident it's a magic translation thing.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 07:17:08 PM »
Current welsh have a different accent when they speak english. And why would he take the effort of learning the accent? The language is usefull but...

To have an english accent that must mean that he was free until pretty,  recently and spent some time with english speakers. He must have been locked up pretty recently because even english from a few centuries ago would have sounded differently.

Unless there is some magic at play here. He does not speak an understandable language at all and the translation magic chose the accent because it was fitting.

Whoever spoke to Harry did so telepathically.  Someone like that may simply have scanned Harry's mind, and just got the point across via thought, and Harry's mind decoded it into understandable words.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 07:18:09 PM »
In much the same way that Harry is getting words from other monsters, threats, blandishments, etc... I'm pretty confident it's a magic translation thing.
Or the same reason Toot speaks Russian. Intellect us for languages.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 07:19:18 PM »
Whoever spoke to Harry did so telepathically.  Someone like that may simply have scanned Harry's mind, and just got the point across via thought, and Harry's mind decoded it into understandable words.
That means the accent tells us more about Harry than about the prisoner.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 07:22:08 PM »

Yeah or the person just wanted to sound different.  Didn't Chauncy have an English accent?  I doubt he's British.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 11:17:22 PM »
Before sounded British in the GS flashback.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 04:16:37 AM »
It might tell us that Harry is an anglophile.