Author Topic: The 5 gods of Lovecraft  (Read 15701 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
The 5 gods of Lovecraft
« on: June 19, 2018, 08:14:37 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXHmnn0BmeU

#4, 2, and 1 sound like they would inspire Jim for the Dresden Files, and the Old Ones..  What do you think?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The 5 gods of Lovecraft
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 03:56:24 AM »
Yog-Sothoth will give you knowledge, but it leads to madness.  I'm thinking that when a wizard uses black magic it is tapping into the Outside, or and Old One, which leads to madness.  Much like the Outsiders are twisted, the wizard may be tapping into an Old Ones power to twist the power of Creation to destroy.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Zohak

• Participant
    • View Profile

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 07:20:19 PM »
Thanks!

Pretty interesting videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKQMBYYIrSU
Exploring the Cthulhu Mythos: Cthulhu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY-H3cwxmU
Exploring the Cthulhu Mythos: Azathoth (The primal chaos) - The most powerful, and feared of the outer gods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmZP0VSENCA
Exploring the Cthulhu Mythos: Yog-Sothoth (The most knowledgeable outer god)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAf5hz1tf2E
Exploring the Cthulhu Mythos: Shub-Niggurath (Inspiration for the mother to the Outsiders????)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYEBQJoz1_c
Exploring the Cthulhu Mythos: Nyarlathotep (inspiration for Drakul?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seMkbJxQAsU
Exploring the Cthulhu Mythos: Deep Ones (Inspiration for the Fomor?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fbGUs8Ukmw
Exploring the Cthulhu Mythos: Hastur (Inspiration for Nemesis?)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 07:37:17 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ekm5yBOXLo
Exploring the Cthulhu Mythos: The Dreamlands (Inspiration for the NeverNever?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StNKrUKkeL0
Exploring the Cthulhu Mythos: Nodens (Previous defenders of the Outer Gates?)

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 08:17:32 PM »
No, no. Let me make this one perfectly clear, Gatekeeper is Nyarlahotep. He's the soul of the Outer Gods. Why? :-x
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 10:57:16 PM »

Only five?

We got Cthulhu. Azathoth. Yog-Sothoth. The Goat With The Thousand Young. Nyarlathotep (it's not clear whether he's a messenger or avatar of Azathoth, but he's clearly a separate entity). Hastur (though he's little more than a name). Mother Hydra and Father Dagon (though it's unclear whether either of these is Cthulhu). Magna Mater gets a mention in Rats in the Walls (you might know her better as Our Lady Underground from The Magicians or Joseph Campbell's cheekily named Our Lady of Mammoths or the Stone Age Venus figures). Lilith shows up in Horror at Red Hook, but she could be a Deep One (think the Fomor).

Basically, you can expect a Walker to be Nyarlathotep, the Fomor to be the Deep Ones, and it's possible that they worship Cthulhu.

Edit: And I maintain that the Queens are avatars of Magna Mater, who was Hecate.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 10:59:28 PM by Foxed »
My Theory Emporium

Eldest Gruff: Based on what
raidem: TEXT, go find it yourself.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 05:03:50 AM »

Only five?

We got Cthulhu. Azathoth. Yog-Sothoth. The Goat With The Thousand Young. Nyarlathotep (it's not clear whether he's a messenger or avatar of Azathoth, but he's clearly a separate entity). Hastur (though he's little more than a name). Mother Hydra and Father Dagon (though it's unclear whether either of these is Cthulhu). Magna Mater gets a mention in Rats in the Walls (you might know her better as Our Lady Underground from The Magicians or Joseph Campbell's cheekily named Our Lady of Mammoths or the Stone Age Venus figures). Lilith shows up in Horror at Red Hook, but she could be a Deep One (think the Fomor).

Basically, you can expect a Walker to be Nyarlathotep, the Fomor to be the Deep Ones, and it's possible that they worship Cthulhu.

Edit: And I maintain that the Queens are avatars of Magna Mater, who was Hecate.

Why would a Walker be Nyarlathotep?  Nyarlathotep is supposed to be the closest when it comes to being able to relate to humans.  Why wouldn't that be Drakul, who's trapped in a mortal form? 

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 05:08:56 AM »

Outsiders.....  Why does is always have to be Outsiders?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 04:21:31 PM »
Why would a Walker be Nyarlathotep?  Nyarlathotep is supposed to be the closest when it comes to being able to relate to humans.  Why wouldn't that be Drakul, who's trapped in a mortal form? 

Cause he's more or less described as the position given a walker/knight/earthly avatar?
Check again the list of Nyarla's common forms, the tall joyous man exists in the DF...
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 04:27:52 PM »
Cthulhu's not a god though, he's a priest thereof.  He's a Great Old One.

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 05:01:17 PM »

... Nyarlathotep isn't mortal. He's the most personable, but he's not mortal. He's canonically the devil that the Salem witches got their powers from (Dreams in the Witch House), the custodian of the gods in unknown Kadath in the Dreamlands (The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath), and a techno-cult leader based on Tesla (Nyarlathotep).

When he shows up, it's usually to have fun with the mortals.
My Theory Emporium

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 05:02:48 PM »
Cthulhu's not a god though, he's a priest thereof.  He's a Great Old One.

He's worshipped as a god by mortals and that's pretty much the definition of a good in this fantasy series.

Edit: if you want to get TECHNICAL, none of the Lovecraft gods are anything more than super powerful alien beings beyond mortal ken. Azathoth is literally the chaos at the universe's nucleus.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:04:25 PM by Foxed »
My Theory Emporium

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 05:10:49 PM »
Yeah, but the Mythos does broadly differentiate between Great Old Ones, Outer Gods, and a variety of other categories.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 05:30:49 PM »
... Nyarlathotep isn't mortal. He's the most personable, but he's not mortal. He's canonically the devil that the Salem witches got their powers from (Dreams in the Witch House), the custodian of the gods in unknown Kadath in the Dreamlands (The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath), and a techno-cult leader based on Tesla (Nyarlathotep).

When he shows up, it's usually to have fun with the mortals.

Drakul isn't mortal either.  He's trapped in a mortal form, that doesn't make him mortal though.  I think these characters from Lovecraft inspire Jim, I don't expect him to make carbon copies of the characters though, which is why I think Nyarlathotep is inspiration for Drakul, an Outsider who's trapped here in mortal form, but none the less an Outsider.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:33:04 PM by groinkick »