Author Topic: WAG.... Murphy has moved on  (Read 64482 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: WAG.... Murphy has moved on
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2018, 06:50:23 PM »
It is going to be horrible for me when I'm wrong.  I'll get over it quick, I promise. :)
Don't get over it quickly. I want to read about the horror in a hundred posts or so.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2018, 07:02:55 PM »
Jim likes to complicate Harry's life.  There is a really effective way to do this.  Make Murphy the Summer Knight.  In some ways she has been marked for it.  The first is her inherit distrust of Harry (Winter) when he took up the Mantle by not giving him the Sword.  The big one is she was the one to kill Maeve, the Winter Lady.  Those two things to me seem like a big reason the Summer Knight's Mantle would gravitate towards her if Fix dies.  She'd also be a very effective Summer Knight.  Combine her martial arts background with the power of the Summer Knight, and her gun skills and she'd be really effective.  Also Titania may like the idea of using her as it would really mess with Dresden's mind, and give Summer a psychological edge on him.  Not to mention the Romeo/Juliet angle.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 07:15:18 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2018, 07:50:49 PM »
Jim likes to complicate Harry's life.  There is a really effective way to do this.  Make Murphy the Summer Knight.  In some ways she has been marked for it.  The first is her inherit distrust of Harry (Winter) when he took up the Mantle by not giving him the Sword.  The big one is she was the one to kill Maeve, the Winter Lady.  Those two things to me seem like a big reason the Summer Knight's Mantle would gravitate towards her if Fix dies.  She'd also be a very effective Summer Knight.  Combine her martial arts background with the power of the Summer Knight, and her gun skills and she'd be really effective.  Also Titania may like the idea of using her as it would really mess with Dresden's mind, and give Summer a psychological edge on him.  Not to mention the Romeo/Juliet angle.

That's one of the few Murphy power-ups I could get behind. It would provide a little side-portion of irony after all the foreshadowing for her becoming a Knight of the Cross, too—she becomes a Knight after all, just a different kind.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2018, 08:05:10 PM »
Yeah, somehow I really don't think Murphy's going to take up the mantle whose literal and only known job is "fight the guy who I'm in love with."

Especially considering she's not looking to get in bed with any supernatural deals, apparently.

I mean, "Jim wants Harry to suffer" does not override basic character traits and motivations.

Titania stated outright she doesn't give half a goddamn about Harry -- or anything -- anymore. So she's not going to go to extra effort to make his life hell.

Murphy has refused power-ups before from arguably much more benevolent sources, so she clearly doesn't want supernatural power. She knows enough about the Faeries to know you don't get anything out of a deal with them except bent over. And she's not going to take a position that makes her by default the mortal enemy of the man she loves.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 08:21:38 PM by Mr. Death »
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2018, 08:31:04 PM »
Yeah, somehow I really don't think Murphy's going to take up the mantle whose literal and only known job is "fight the guy who I'm in love with."

Especially considering she's not looking to get in bed with any supernatural deals, apparently.

I mean, "Jim wants Harry to suffer" does not override basic character traits and motivations.

Titania stated outright she doesn't give half a goddamn about Harry -- or anything -- anymore. So she's not going to go to extra effort to make his life hell.

Murphy has refused power-ups before from arguably much more benevolent sources, so she clearly doesn't want supernatural power. She knows enough about the Faeries to know you don't get anything out of a deal with them except bent over. And she's not going to take a position that makes her by default the mortal enemy of the man she loves.

Oh, I agree that it'll never happen, but I wouldn't mind it if it did.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2018, 08:46:31 PM »
See, I don't get that viewpoint. For it to happen, two characters would have to pull a total reversal and Jim would have to undo a whole lot of character development to contrive it. I'd see that as terrible writing and betraying who the characters are. It would be like Harry suddenly deciding that Murphy is better kept in the dark, despite him having learned that lesson ages ago and repeating as recently as Zoo Day that he remembers it.

How is that something you wouldn't mind?

Offline Dashkull

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2018, 08:53:00 PM »
Jim also just said that the bearers of the SK mantle are generally artistic types, not warriors, whereas the WK mantle has generally gone to people naturally prone to fighting an violence. Murph would actually make a better candidate for the Winter mantle than the Summer.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2018, 02:16:22 AM »
These threads really haven't changed much.

Hopefully they will soon, though. I'm optimistic enough about Jim's September deadline for finishing Peace Talks that I've started posting here again for the first time in years. "Zoo Day" made me miss the Dresden Files an awful lot, and then there are Jim's Q&As at the book signings for Brief Cases, and then he gave that WoJ that he was planning to be finished with PT before his wedding in September. It feels like the terrible Dresden Drought may be over at last!

*knocks on wood*
*crosses fingers*
*offers up a prayer to the heavens*
*considers actually making some sort of animal sacrifice just to be on the safe side, except that seems really extreme and gross, and I'm, like, half-vegetarian these days, so I'd probly feel even worse about it...*

Anyway, I'm hopeful.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2018, 02:57:56 AM »
I'm not sure why you think the book coming out is going to make any kind of difference to the Murphy haters.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2018, 03:13:14 AM »
I'm not sure why you think the book coming out is going to make any kind of difference to the Murphy haters.

Were you going for an Eeyore tone there? Because in my head, it sounded Eeyore-ish. :)

But I was talking about the forum in general. There's always an explosion of threads when a new book comes out, which is what I was thinking of.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2018, 04:54:01 AM »

I know she wouldn't accept it voluntarily.  I was going with the idea of her taking up the Mantle the same way Molly did.  Just as Maeve said the Mantle would seek out anyone who it deemed acceptable, and go to them.  If a Lady's Mantle would do that I don't see why a less powerful Mantle wouldn't.  I figured Fix dies, Murphy is near by, and because she had killed a Lady of Winter that the Mantle would recognize her as a suitable host.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2018, 04:55:11 AM »
Hopefully they will soon, though. I'm optimistic enough about Jim's September deadline for finishing Peace Talks that I've started posting here again for the first time in years. "Zoo Day" made me miss the Dresden Files an awful lot, and then there are Jim's Q&As at the book signings for Brief Cases, and then he gave that WoJ that he was planning to be finished with PT before his wedding in September. It feels like the terrible Dresden Drought may be over at last!

*knocks on wood*
*crosses fingers*
*considers actually making some sort of animal sacrifice just to be on the safe side, except that seems really extreme and gross, and I'm, like, half-vegetarian these days, so I'd probly feel even worse about it...*

Anyway, I'm hopeful.
Human sacrifice? Really for a change this big a mere hundred cows won’t do.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2018, 05:00:47 AM »

*knocks on wood*
*crosses fingers*

Anyway, I'm hopeful.

The drought will be over.  I think that Jim really needs to be in a comfortable personal space to write, and his house taking 3 years to finish messed up his mojo.  Now he's moved in, and sounds like he's ready to get things going.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2018, 05:02:38 AM »
If a Lady's Mantle would do that I don't see why a less powerful Mantle wouldn't.  I figured Fix dies, Murphy is near by, and because she had killed a Lady of Winter that the Mantle would recognize her as a suitable host.
Because the Knights Mantles very specifically return to one of the Queens in order to be granted.  It's how Aurora was able to shove it into Lily after Reuel died.  They don't just go looking for their best person on their own.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2018, 01:41:41 PM »
I know she wouldn't accept it voluntarily.  I was going with the idea of her taking up the Mantle the same way Molly did.  Just as Maeve said the Mantle would seek out anyone who it deemed acceptable, and go to them.  If a Lady's Mantle would do that I don't see why a less powerful Mantle wouldn't.  I figured Fix dies, Murphy is near by, and because she had killed a Lady of Winter that the Mantle would recognize her as a suitable host.
Not all Mantles work the same.

We know for a fact that the Knight mantles do not work that way.