Author Topic: Anyone else really enjoy Maggie's perspective in Zoo Day?  (Read 2962 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Anyone else really enjoy Maggie's perspective in Zoo Day?
« on: June 13, 2018, 05:32:56 AM »
I have to admit that I really enjoyed the story from her perspective.  The Dresden Files have a lot of Harry suffering but I just couldn't help but smile ear to ear by how well Jim conveyed the love Harry, and Maggie have for each other, and the fear they have of messing it up.  Also it's fun seeing how someone else see's Harry and is able to describe him from a different perspective. 

I didn't think I'd like seeing her character in the story but admit I was wrong.  I enjoyed what she brought to the story, and also how Harry was different...  Maybe it was because it was a Harry Dresden I hadn't seen in a while, one that was happy...  An adventure that had danger, but didn't lose it's overall happy feeling.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Slowpool

• Conversationalist
  • You aren't my REAL dad.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else really enjoy Maggie's perspective in Zoo Day?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 05:54:19 AM »
  I loved it.  At least, I love the character; Jim's writing seemed a little inconsistent when it came to her internal dialogue, but I don't think he's ever written a child's point of view before, so I can't fault him for that.  That sort of thing is a learning process.
  Or maybe it's just that she'd intentionally downplaying her own cunning.  I look forward to the YA series, as well as Harry coming to understand just how formidable his daughter might actually be.

Offline Mpol

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 09:31:55 AM »
Really looking forward to PT and their interactions. I expect it to feel a little like when a Thomas lived with Harry in that there will be some growing pains but in the most awkward and heart felt way.

Made me really like Maggie too. Loved that Jim has a character so open about her social anxiety. I’m so glad her awful past isn’t being glossed over.

Offline Hagbard Celine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 10:11:23 AM »
I guess I would have preferred it that she wasn't anything supernatural at all...but I suppose it was inevitable. 
Never Whistle While You're Pissing!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 11:02:55 AM »

I enjoyed it too, and the important part is she does remember..

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 03:09:05 AM »
I guess I would have preferred it that she wasn't anything supernatural at all...but I suppose it was inevitable.

I don't think we've been told yet that she is something supernatural. She sees the monsters that only kids can see, but the other Carpenter kids apparently saw them as well and used the Book to deal with that. The other Carpenter kids(not including Molly) have not been shown to be supernatural. Her enrollment at SMAGT may be entirely due to her being the daughter of a supernatural.

Re: the OP: I loved Maggie's POV. Her comment about the baglers was great. "You’d think even grown-ups could be interesting with some kind of psychic monster eating their faces all the time, but you’d be wrong. So there you go." *lol* I loved that.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Dashkull

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 03:46:38 AM »
I loved Mouse's perspective even more, but Maggies is damned adorable.

I kind of hope Jim doesnt feel the need to explain more about the baddies Maggie sees. Obviously they are not just delusions, because of the book that was handed down from Molly and Hank. But they are also not normal supernatural threats, or things like the underhide would never have been able to enter the Carpenter's home. To me, it should live in that unspoken area like whether or not Hobbes actually comes to life when adults are not around.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 10:04:14 AM »
I loved Mouse's perspective even more, but Maggies is damned adorable.

I kind of hope Jim doesnt feel the need to explain more about the baddies Maggie sees. Obviously they are not just delusions, because of the book that was handed down from Molly and Hank. But they are also not normal supernatural threats, or things like the underhide would never have been able to enter the Carpenter's home. To me, it should live in that unspoken area like whether or not Hobbes actually comes to life when adults are not around.
[/quote
According to Mouse they were just there to train the kids. The beings who create the rules in the dresdenverse do not believe in save playgrounds for kids.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]