Author Topic: Summoning Molly  (Read 17351 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Summoning Molly
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 01:28:42 PM »
She won't do that to her sister especially because she did not even tell her parents. It is also not practical because a useful handmaiden needs to be a power on her own.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 01:35:40 PM »
She won't do that to her sister especially because she did not even tell her parents. It is also not practical because a useful handmaiden needs to be a power on her own.

Agreed on both counts.  She wouldnt want to pull any of her family so far in to the Court that they actually became Fae, and tactically wouldnt make sense in terms of building a power base.  So far the closest thing to a Handmaiden is that Harry seems to have tacitly turned Lacuna over to Molly. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 03:20:57 PM »
A. your assuming she's gonna do anything willfully
B. how do you know she doesn't.... Molly proved the fae heritage in her bloodline, Molly, as WL, has been spending time around her family like it's just her family, with her sisters, acting like everything is the same. But the dynamic of what she is is entirely different. And exposure to the fae has consequences. What I describe is perfectly correct, regardless of intention. If Molly suddenly learned to feed on latent adoration or other belief powers latent in the world, can you say her sister would not be a primary boost right at this very moment?
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 04:57:27 PM »
A. your assuming she's gonna do anything willfully
B. how do you know she doesn't.... Molly proved the fae heritage in her bloodline, Molly, as WL, has been spending time around her family like it's just her family, with her sisters, acting like everything is the same. But the dynamic of what she is is entirely different. And exposure to the fae has consequences. What I describe is perfectly correct, regardless of intention. If Molly suddenly learned to feed on latent adoration or other belief powers latent in the world, can you say her sister would not be a primary boost right at this very moment?
GodDAMMIT!!!  That makes sense.  A lot of Sense.  Fuck, those poor kids. 

Hmmm, any way out of this?  Could Michael's "Retirement Package" keep it at bay at least as long as they are Minors living with him?  Molly would technically qualify as one of those non-human things they can interfere with, no?  Or is it possible that the simple fact that she is spending time with them as family, as opposed to magical training with general Fae mindset and Tactics like lea did, could make the difference. The argument could be made that they would be making her more Human, rather than her having a Fae influence on them.  Would depend on how much like her old self she's able to be around them; too much subconscious Faeness might be enough, especially since she's most likely been Invited in since CD.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 05:23:46 PM »
I think it also has to do with the hierarchy and perception of the "proper order of things." A lesser power being should not summon a higher powered one in the same hierarchy. The lesser powered being goes to the higher powered being. It is a demonstration of deference and respect. The situation with Mab on DR was a special case. I do not think Mab would take kindly to a Knight summoning her, the Lady, or the Mother on a regular basis as it undermines their authority. You don't summon a more powerful being without consequences (now or later).

The nature of the summoning must also be taken into consideration. We saw Harry summon Toot Toot with just an offering and a whisper. That is very mild and not likely to cause concern. Whereas summoning involving a ring and ritual is more serious. A summoning on DR as others have mentioned is tantamount to holding a loaded gun on someone.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 05:32:31 PM »
I think it also has to do with the hierarchy and perception of the "proper order of things." A lesser power being should not summon a higher powered one in the same hierarchy. The lesser powered being goes to the higher powered being. It is a demonstration of deference and respect. The situation with Mab on DR was a special case. I do not think Mab would take kindly to a Knight summoning her, the Lady, or the Mother on a regular basis as it undermines their authority. You don't summon a more powerful being without consequences (now or later).

The nature of the summoning must also be taken into consideration. We saw Harry summon Toot Toot with just an offering and a whisper. That is very mild and not likely to cause concern. Whereas summoning involving a ring and ritual is more serious. A summoning on DR as others have mentioned is tantamount to holding a loaded gun on someone.
I think it mostly has to do with whether the senior of the two agrees with the Summoning itself.  Molly was able to summon Mab in Cold Case without rebuke but the situation, and more importantly Mab's own duties as the Lady's Trainer, made it permissible.  Even Mother Winter didnt...entirely object to Harry's Summons in Cold Days, and she was forced to make the trip and get him even though it caused her pain.  She made use of the encounter, but interestingly she did not send a proxy to go get him and avoid her travel issues.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 05:41:31 PM »
GodDAMMIT!!!  That makes sense.  A lot of Sense.  Fuck, those poor kids. 
No, no, no... Think about Amanda Carpenter being on the level with Leah... those poor dupes who stand in her way! ..... Damn, you know, I kinda see the cynical beginnings of Leah in her too. Mmm... if Molly were in actuality Mab then..

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 05:48:51 PM »
No, no, no... Think about Amanda Carpenter being on the level with Leah... those poor dupes who stand in her way! ..... Damn, you know, I kinda see the cynical beginnings of Leah in her too. Mmm... if Molly were in actuality Mab then..
I cant imagine that without having to imagine some horrible way for her to actually amass all that power. Lea was known for being a vampire muse and impressed mab by managing to use the desire to Create Beauty (ie Artists) to increase her "dark and evil power".  Jenny Greenteeth liked to drown children and the elderly.  Let Amanda go have a promising career in, I dunno, Law Enforcement or engineering or something so steeped in computers that the supernatural world just looses all interest in her.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2018, 06:01:46 PM »

I think he could have summoned her, he may even have tried, but apparently Mab has a way of blocking it or simply forbidding Molly to answer.. Remember when Harry tried to summon Lea, but she was under "treatment" on ice, thus Mab came in her stead..  So I have no doubt that Mab was keeping a close eye on both of them so a summoning could not happen..

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 06:05:33 PM »

I think he could have summoned her, he may even have tried, but apparently Mab has a way of blocking it or simply forbidding Molly to answer.. Remember when Harry tried to summon Lea, but she was under "treatment" on ice, thus Mab came in her stead..  So I have no doubt that Mab was keeping a close eye on both of them so a summoning could not happen..
According to the OP, it was confirmed by Jim at the most recent signing that Indeed he could have summoned her but did not (in the book he said he'd been sending various types of messages but didnt mention a direct Summoning), though Jim wasnt sure how it would have gone over.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 07:04:53 PM »
Someone also asked him if the mother, queen and lady could give him conflicting orders, to which he replied “mwahaha they Are Now!” In that tone he gets when he got a great idea of how to screw Harry over.
Isn't this already the plot of Cold Days?

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 07:11:26 PM »
Harry may have not known what Molly would do if he summoned her because she had not been responding to him.  He may have been thinking it was on purpose, and she would go Maeve on him if he had summoned her.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 07:15:14 PM »
I cant imagine that without having to imagine some horrible way for her to actually amass all that power. Lea was known for being a vampire muse and impressed mab by managing to use the desire to Create Beauty (ie Artists) to increase her "dark and evil power".  Jenny Greenteeth liked to drown children and the elderly.  Let Amanda go have a promising career in, I dunno, Law Enforcement or engineering or something so steeped in computers that the supernatural world just looses all interest in her.
iirc though her mythology as a vampiric being came around in the 1800's were as her mythos is much older. So maybe she's just what we remember her for now?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 08:14:58 PM »
iirc though her mythology as a vampiric being came around in the 1800's were as her mythos is much older. So maybe she's just what we remember her for now?
I dont know details about her RL history, Im just going off the WOJ on her:

2012 Beaver Creek signing
The Leansidhe nature seems to conflict with that of Winter - and she seems to be much more Summer-y, since she wears lots of reds and greens and so on.
They're not elementals.  They're not divided along the lines of - specifically - of the classical elements.  They're more about the elemental portions of the soul, which - okay, that's getting really technical and highfaluting.  But the point is, Lea drains people's blood and drinks it, and that was how she made her bones in the fairy world.  She's an actual legendary figure, where bards and poets and painters and so on would come to her and seek her inspiration.  And she was kind of this vampire-muse - that was the original Leansidhe - that's her original story.  And in the DF universe that was how she made her bones, that's how she impressed big Mab.   It was like - oh wow - you took these guys who were out there just seeking to create something beautiful and yet increased your dark and evil power - Well done!

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 03:55:21 PM »
I could see myself supporting the Amanda as Molly's handmaiden situation if Molly leveled with Amanda from the beginning and told her everything so that Amanda could make an informed decision about filling that role. Probably won't happen that way, but thats what I would like to see.