Author Topic: Snoopy, Loup Garou, and Mouse  (Read 12018 times)

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Snoopy, Loup Garou, and Mouse
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2018, 09:46:13 PM »
I'm just saying "No charges at the time of arrest" does not make it an illegal arrest, and that's the kind of thinking that gets people tased on youtube.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2018, 09:50:43 PM »
I'm just saying "No charges at the time of arrest" does not make it an illegal arrest, and that's the kind of thinking that gets people tased on youtube.

No, it's usually the 'it's okay to resist' thinking that gets you tased. It's never a good idea to resist, even if the arrest is illegitimate, because the Police are Corrupt as an institution (which is what naturally happens when you police your own).

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2018, 11:40:14 PM »
No, it's usually the 'it's okay to resist' thinking that gets you tased. It's never a good idea to resist, even if the arrest is illegitimate, because the Police are Corrupt as an institution (which is what naturally happens when you police your own).

I don't report people but would you stick to Dresden universe and not your political beliefs?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2018, 11:52:21 PM »
Murphy wasn't just abrasive in the first couple books, she was a straight-up asshole, especially in Fool Moon.
Just an uptight cop, I think. She took him home and made him comfortable, like any decent human being would do (and most won't) so...
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2018, 09:31:00 AM »
I don't report people but would you stick to Dresden universe and not your political beliefs?

Yeah you're right, that was a bit too much of a blanket statement, not to mention irrelevant. (although I'd like to note that it was more a sense of deep-seated cynicism rather then any sort of political statement)

Just an uptight cop, I think. She took him home and made him comfortable, like any decent human being would do (and most won't) so...

Murphy has never been a bad person certainly, though she has some real asshole moments- again, just look at her in that passage- That wasn't 'uptight' that was Felony Assault on someone that was not just non-violent, but actively co-operative, based on... well, jack and shit.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 09:50:04 AM by forumghost »

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2018, 09:05:14 PM »
Twasn't felony assault.  It would be simple assault, which is a misdemeanor, and also simple battery, also a misdemeanor.

Presumably there would be some other laws regarding abuse of power that might come into play, but if she were just a random person taking a swing at Harry, neither felony assault nor battery.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2018, 04:22:35 PM »
Murphy has never been a bad person certainly, though she has some real asshole moments- again, just look at her in that passage- That wasn't 'uptight' that was Felony Assault on someone that was not just non-violent, but actively co-operative, based on... well, jack and shit.

No, she isn't a bad person, but she is opinionated to the point of pigheadedness...  This is what has often made things worse...  When she is on Harry's side she is loyal to a fault..

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »
No, she isn't a bad person, but she is opinionated to the point of pigheadedness...  This is what has often made things worse...  When she is on Harry's side she is loyal to a fault..

Loyal to a fault or simply believing his cause is just?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2018, 09:39:14 PM »
Loyal to a fault or simply believing his cause is just?

I don't think she always believes his cause is just because she doesn't fully understand it..

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2018, 10:39:30 PM »
I'm wondering if part of the way mouse cheats as he is said to do in changes is via snoopy-loup garou link he "investigated" as a pup.

Jim has mentioned that items of human belief or thought that goes into them carries enormous amount of potential energy. He talks about Harry one day getting Indiana Jones hat because it has so much power via human culture and exposure.  A similar argument can be said for snoopy.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:42:21 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2018, 12:54:13 PM »
Zoo Day Spoilers:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 01:00:19 PM by raidem »

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2018, 03:49:02 PM »
You know, you could have just asked me where the WoJ is from...    ;)

(Pheonix Comic con, 2014):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH1nwP9r6-U

At the ~49:50 minute mark.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 03:50:37 PM by knnn »
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2018, 05:17:50 PM »
Back in Cold Days we had a certain revevation that tied the plots in the earlier books into one cohesive thing, Did you have that in mind when you were writing those earlier books? Or did you tie those later on when you were writing Cold Days.

You are talking about Nemesis right. No, that was there from the get go, and has been showing up, on stage from Grave Peril.  There is Nemesis characters showing up in Grave Peril doing things. And there are more of them happen along the way which you don't know about yet  Which is why it is such a great threat, it can be completely invisible and transparent and you don't know it is there until later when you work it out and Ooo.  My whole point in writing a lot of these books is I try to write it so that you can get a different sense of it later on after you go back and read it again and go Ooo.  And I try to do it in little ways and little things like with Mouse and you eventually work out what Mouse really is and you go back to the all of a sudden the scene where he is ferociously attacking Harry Dresden Snoopy doll is a lot different because its the Snoopy doll that has the Loup Garou's blood on it from several books ago and that is what he is smelling and that is why he is assaulting it.  He is instinctively good and awesome. There is a lot of stuff I don't bring out. I try not to shove things in everybodys face.  Hopefully you get a different sense of it if you go back and read it again.  I like rereading books.  I like rereading a book and going Now that I know the ending this line right here is a lot funnier than it was before.  The writer must have been laughing his ass off when he wrote it and Hopefully I can give that experience to readers too.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 05:19:39 PM by raidem »