Author Topic: Saints  (Read 12621 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Saints
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 06:45:48 PM »
Rashid wasn't influenced because he wasn't there. In Steed's words: He's he only other wizard here that we see less than you.
Besides, I doubt his religious beliefs can accommodate saints.
Islam has Saints, too.  They're called Wali.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 07:55:54 PM »
Not really. Wali means a loyal to -in this context- God pious man, anyone can be a Wali, but it's not any sort of official position, immunity or power.
While some may equate a Wali to a saint, they're not the same.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 08:02:01 PM »
Not really. Wali means a loyal to -in this context- God pious man, anyone can be a Wali, but it's not any sort of official position, immunity or power.

Well this is the Dresdenverse.  Jim pretty much laid out what a Saint was.  A wizard who also happens to have devout faith.  Didn't say the person needs to be a Christian.  Just like a KoTC that is an Atheist or Jewish.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2018, 08:04:05 PM »
According to Wikipedia (my source on the subject, so forgive my ignorance if I'm misunderstanding) Wali are Islamic saints, which "In the traditional Islamic understanding of saints, the saint is portrayed as someone "marked by [special] divine favor ... [and] holiness", and who is specifically "chosen by God and endowed with exceptional gifts, such as the ability to work miracles"."

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2018, 08:54:54 PM »
According to Wikipedia (my source on the subject, so forgive my ignorance if I'm misunderstanding) Wali are Islamic saints, which "In the traditional Islamic understanding of saints, the saint is portrayed as someone "marked by [special] divine favor ... [and] holiness", and who is specifically "chosen by God and endowed with exceptional gifts, such as the ability to work miracles"."
That's fine, it's a common misconception even among the Muslims. Mostly only superstitious folks actually believe in that. Maybe the Sofi's too. As per book, there's no such thing as a saint/special powers, and miracles can only be performed by God.  Now, a true believer can ask God's help, pray for it, even demand it, and it will come, it doesn't make it a miracle.
Well this is the Dresdenverse.  Jim pretty much laid out what a Saint was.  A wizard who also happens to have devout faith.  Didn't say the person needs to be a Christian.  Just like a KoTC that is an Atheist or Jewish.
Now that makes sense :D

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2018, 12:42:47 AM »
Did he? He has used faith magic, yes, but he didn't combine it with his normal magic that I remember.
In FM it was his faith IN magic that let him conjure more of it then he had. He's a Magic Saint, or has the potential to be so.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2018, 12:47:05 AM »
When was that exactly? I don't recall it.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2018, 01:52:04 AM »
He charged up his pentacle necklace with his faith before he slung it at the Loup.

Which was sorta what I was getting at, that under a suitably tortured reading, Harry could count.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2018, 02:08:06 AM »

Yeah, the answer was pretty clear that in-universe it applies to anyone combining faith and magic practices, and the only real difference between belief systems is that Catholicism actually uses it as a title.

Given that the Church system recognizes saints based on testimony from people who asked them to intercede with the Almighty in prayers for miraculous healing after the saint had died, which is completely outside the domain of wizard magic, I think it's fair to say the Catholic definition would only sometimes overlap with the hybrid practitioner definition.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2018, 02:28:10 AM »
He charged up his pentacle necklace with his faith before he slung it at the Loup.

Which was sorta what I was getting at, that under a suitably tortured reading, Harry could count.
Faith? I didn't get that vibe, I just thought he used the amulet to create a circle in the air, focused all what's left of his magic in it, and used a simple air spell to propel it toward the loup garou, just like gunpowder. The inherited silver did the work.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2018, 05:08:16 AM »
The only thing i recall of Harry and faith is his commentary in Grave Peril.

The silver pentagram within the circle was the symbol of my faith, if that’s what you wanted to call it, in magic.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2018, 06:20:44 AM »
Saints are probably pretty bad ass spell casters.  Michael isn't a wizard at all and his Faith magic was able to burn Red Court vamps.  A full fledged wizard using that along with their magic can probably do some pretty nasty magic.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2018, 06:47:59 PM »
I wonder if Father Forthill is a Saint.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2018, 06:50:53 PM »
I wonder if Father Forthill is a Saint.

Hasn't really shown anything like that.  He isn't a wizard which Jim said the Saints are wizards.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2018, 02:20:15 AM »
How do we know that he isn't.  I think Jim described it as a wizard using faith magic.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html