Author Topic: Elaine pentacle amulet  (Read 9071 times)

Offline edf

• Participant
    • View Profile
Elaine pentacle amulet
« on: May 24, 2018, 12:42:56 AM »
Didn't it seem odd that the first time Elaine was described (as a teen), she had a pentacle amulet identical to Harry's ? After that one paragraph in Fool Moon, it never seems to come up again.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Elaine pentacle amulet
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 01:28:50 AM »
Quote from: Chapter 12, White Night
Almost before I was finished saying the word, Elaine murmured quietly, and the pentacle amulet she wore, nearly a twin to mine, began to glow with a green-white light. She held it overhead by its silver chain.

Offline edf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 03:48:34 AM »
Ok, so not forgotten - just rarely referenced.  Are they commonplace or is there a reason why Harry, Elaine, and Thomas all seem to have one they inherited? Presumably they would all fit the crystal that maps the nevernever as well.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 11:21:33 AM »
We have a direct answer to that question:

2007 Huntington Beach B&N Q&A @4:55
In the early books you mention that Elaine has the same pentacle as Harry.  Is that significant or have you changed your mind on?
No it's significant.  There is a reason for that.  Harry and Elaine come from the same philosophical background as far as magic is concerned... Or at least so he believes in any case.  I guess we will have to see if Elaine thinks the same way.  Who here has read White Knight so far?  Yah, Elaine doesn't think exactly the same way as Harry when it comes to the use of magic, but at the same time though they are not exactly on a totally different page either.  It's significant that they both have the same symbol.  It says something about what they think and what they believe. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 09:08:36 PM »
We know his mom prepared gems to contain thing for Harry amulet. Could elain store similar items in her own version, and Harry could potentially access them due to their connection.
k moinuddin

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 07:34:56 AM »
We have a direct answer to that question:

It's a direct reply to the question, but while all answers to asked questions are replies, all replies are not answers.  Harry has certain beliefs about what the pentacle in his amulet stands for; however, he didn't make the amulet himself.  It was something he inherited from his mother.  She didn't leave him any written instructions on how to interpret the symbol.  Perhaps he learned this from studying with Ebenezer, we don't know for certain.  It appears Elaine also inherited her amulet.  We know nothing of her family or what she thinks her pentacle represents. 

It's quite possible that Elaine also has a family member who is a member of the White Council.  It could be that a number of wizards who were once friends, allies or shared a  common philosophical belief system towards magic marked this relationship by wearing similar amulets.  This would explain how Harry and Elaine came to have almost identical amulets.     
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 07:42:50 AM »
whats next declaring elaine long lost twin sister of harry? i will be watching the this.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 11:53:55 AM »
We know nothing of her family or what she thinks her pentacle represents. 

The first part is true I guess, but the second is not because of that WOJ. It's equally possible that there was a Hot Topic near where they lived with Justin (who was the one to give both of them their actual first introductions to magic use, philosophic underpinnings (as much as practically required for the mental control at least), etc. 
You could be right, dont get me wrong.  But when directly asked this question the answer was specifically that he included it to illustrate their common magical background and a shared philosophy (within the bounds of the differences we saw in WN, which werent much). So it would, for example, mean that she can summon Faith-Light from it the same way harry does.   But I think the bridge of "Harry's Necklace was inherited from a story-relevant Long-lost family so Elaine's must be too" is built of way more tinfoil.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Eami

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 03:04:22 PM »
Thomas’s is identical to Harry’s, because their mom gave them to them. Elaine’s is very similar, because it’s a common symbol representing magic, hers may even have been based on Harry’s after the fact. There could be more to it than that, but there doesn’t have to be.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 05:13:04 PM »
and the pentacle amulet she wore, nearly a twin to mine, began to glow with a green-white light.

Didn't Harry's new staff build on Demon Reach also have a green-white light?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 08:44:36 PM »

Didn't Harry's new staff build on Demon Reach also have a green-white light?
Yes.  It appears the color is associated with the source or type of power.  Harry's is presumably from DR, who has the green glowing eyes.

Elaine's green could be due to her experience with the summer court.  Or maybe she's got something else in her experience. 

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 01:50:36 AM »
I always assumed Harry created as a gift of love to Elaine when they were teenagers.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 02:02:58 AM »
I always assumed Harry created as a gift of love to Elaine when they were teenagers.
Well, he either had it made for her, or DuMorne had it made for her to help bind the two closer.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 03:06:09 AM »
Well, he either had it made for her, or DuMorne had it made for her to help bind the two closer.

Or like Dresden it came from her family......  Perhaps they belong to separate family lines of wizards that lead back to..... Merlin.  Or their families belonged to a sect or a Council within the Council that had a religious type devotion to magic and it's importance similar to a KoTC.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 03:08:42 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 01:08:15 AM »
Did it ever say that Harry gave Elaine her amulet? If not, this may be a clue.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?