Author Topic: Publishing company - which one to pick, and does it matter?  (Read 4240 times)

Offline Dagroth

• Participant
    • View Profile
Hello,

So, I'm thinking to order all the DF books published so far (perhaps except for comics) as the English originals. The store I'm probably going to buy them from has the books from five different publishers:
1) Little Brown Book Group
2) Roc
3) Ace Books
4) Orbit
5) New American Library

Assuming they have all the books from each one of them (I haven't checked yet, looking up them all is going to take a while), which one you think has the best quality of published books? (things like durability, lack of typos, aesthetics, including the cover images, this sort of stuff)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:21:14 PM by Dagroth »

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Publishing company - which one to pick, and does it matter?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 11:52:00 AM »
If you are delving into the exciting world of Book Collecting, you might want to take a look at the Deluxe Hardcovers.  You can find them second-hand somewhere, but otherwise I think you have to order them direct from Subterranean Press:

https://subterraneanpress.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=jim+butcher
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Dagroth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 05:25:10 PM »
If you are delving into the exciting world of Book Collecting

Not really, basically I just want to be able to read them all (plus short stories), and:
1) Can't easily get my hands on them for free (as in, from a library).
2) Have a rather low opinion on the quality of books published by the company, that does that over here.
3) Generally prefer to experience books (and movies, and video games) in their original language, where I'm able.

Anyway, I think I'll decide on Roc, I like their covers (as good a reason as any, I guess).

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 08:59:14 PM »
Not really, basically I just want to be able to read them all (plus short stories), and:
1) Can't easily get my hands on them for free (as in, from a library).
2) Have a rather low opinion on the quality of books published by the company, that does that over here.
3) Generally prefer to experience books (and movies, and video games) in their original language, where I'm able.

Anyway, I think I'll decide on Roc, I like their covers (as good a reason as any, I guess).
Ah, ok I misunderstood your goal.

Ya, definitely go Roc, though Ace and Roc are both imprints of Penguin so I dont know if there will be much practical difference.  New American only does non-fiction now and I think they'd been a Hardback & trade Paperback shop for a while.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain