Author Topic: Snoopy, Loup Garou, and Mouse  (Read 12110 times)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Snoopy, Loup Garou, and Mouse
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 04:57:03 AM »
Magic works on the same principles for everyone. If Maeve found that dry blood is useless to her, I think it's unlikely that it would work for the damn mutt
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 12:07:27 PM »
Magic works on the same principles for everyone. If Maeve found that dry blood is useless to her, I think it's unlikely that it would work for the damn mutt
Not as a Thaumaturgic connection, though it would still likely work for mundane scenting and stuff, which in turn could be augmented by weird doggy-magic. 

Worth noting that in technical terms we dont know what sort of energy Mouse uses to know how similar it is to the Life Magic that harry or fae use.  Given that it's sourced in Thresholds I wonder if its not closer to the Faith Magic side of the spectrum
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2018, 01:03:33 PM »
Worth noting that in technical terms we dont know what sort of energy Mouse uses to know how similar it is to the Life Magic that harry or fae use.  Given that it's sourced in Thresholds I wonder if its not closer to the Faith Magic side of the spectrum

Given that Uriel called him little brother, I think that's a reasonable guess.

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2018, 02:14:56 PM »

It wasn't just dried blood, it was blood that had already been incorporated into a magical link. The question isn't whether the blood was still good, it's whether the link was still good.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2018, 03:51:58 PM »
Harry killed the Loup Garou while the link was still active.  That could have had spill down effects on the link on Snoopy and extended its lifetime.  Whatever the case may be, I believe this Snoopy doll will show up again in the series.  If Harry or others ever need a link to a Loup Garou again, that doll would probably make a better stand in than many other items as it had already been linked to it before.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 03:57:19 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 04:53:53 PM »
Here's the quote from Changes, the description is from Esmerelda...

“The Ik’k’uox,” she said in a distant, puzzled voice. “It is in pain. It flees. It . . .” She opened her eyes very wide, and suddenly they flooded in solid black, just as the creature’s had been. “Oh! It cheated!” Her face turned down to mine, and she bared her fangs. “It cheated! It brought a demon of its own! A mountain ice demon from the Land of Dreams!”

Butcher, Jim. Changes (The Dresden Files, Book 12) (p. 201). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

I would add a WAG here: Lovecraftian horror also includes the Dreamlands, in which there is the occasional spat with the true horrors that we'd equate with Butcher's Outsiders.

So... maybe Mouse is from a piece of the Nevernever called the Land of Dreams where the Foo Dogs (used to) stand firm against the Outside.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2018, 04:55:43 PM »
Harry killed the Loup Garou while the link was still active.  That could have had spill down effects on the link on Snoopy and extended its lifetime.  Whatever the case may be, I believe this Snoopy doll will show up again in the series.  If Harry or others ever need a link to a Loup Garou again, that doll would probably make a better stand in than many other items as it had already been linked to it before.
Nah, the snoopy doll was used during the assault on the CPD precinct.  By the time murphy shot the Loup Garou at Marcones place Harry had already escaped and been beaten and I think kidnapped at least once.  I dont think he still had the doll at the final showdown, and I doubt Murphy would have taken it back to her desk afterward (since it would either be evidence or a very bad reminder of the assault).
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2018, 08:59:35 PM »
I didn't say Harry took the snoopy with him to the final assault.  We do know that Harry used a magical spell and a thaumaturgical link between blood smeared snoopy and loup garou to dull it's senses.  This was an ongoing spell that wouldn't end until after sunrise/noon, one day, or what have you.  What I'm wondering if there was an active link to go from small to large then can the loup garou's  death cause feedback from large to small.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2018, 11:58:04 AM »
I didn't say Harry took the snoopy with him to the final assault.  We do know that Harry used a magical spell and a thaumaturgical link between blood smeared snoopy and loup garou to dull it's senses.  This was an ongoing spell that wouldn't end until after sunrise/noon, one day, or what have you.  What I'm wondering if there was an active link to go from small to large then can the loup garou's  death cause feedback from large to small.
Oooh, ok i misunderstood what you were saying.  I looked back and I was wrong in two different ways: I thought the spell was a distraction during the assault itself before he got blasted through a couple buildings, I forgot that it was after and supposed to drive the loup to ground.  Harry said when he cast it that it would last until the next sunrise, and I thought the final confrontation was the following evening.  Turns out he just passed out like three times in a row that night. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2018, 04:08:17 PM »
By the time murphy shot the Loup Garou at Marcones place Harry had already escaped
Murphy shot the FBI guy (Denton) coming up behind Harry with a club or something.  On second reading however, it does say that Murphy...
In the film, the static clears and you can see Murphy shoot Denton off of my back, just before he brains me with his club. Then she spins around like Rambo, jumps out of the way of the leaping furry something-or-other, and empties the rest of her clip into the thing out of reflex.
Murph and I both know the bullets didn't hurt it at all, that it was just a reflexive gesture on her part, but I don't need the attention. She was quite the hero according to the camera, and that was fine with me
Harry used the silver amulet he inherited from his mother in a sling shot spell to kill the Loup Garou.

Early speculation was that perhaps Harry had actually permanently ended the Loup Garou curse. Of course, nothing would be that simple.  That said, we have wondered if something special happened that night with Harry taking down that Loup Garou in that way other than of course killing the Loup Garou.

What has long made me curious as to what Mab was up to in Fool Moon was this...
"We're all cold, moron," Murphy snapped. "A front came through about the same time they threw us in that freaking pit. It must be below "We're all cold, moron," Murphy snapped. "A front came through about the same time they threw us in that freaking pit. It must be below

Hmm...
Well, if I was to combine my Murphy/Mab theory with some of these events maybe she gave Murphy an assist when she went all Rambo like against the Loup Garou after one shotting Denton.  That wasn't part of the story told until Susan video taped it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:33:19 PM by raidem »

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2018, 04:50:47 PM »
Murphy shot the FBI guy (Denton) coming up behind Harry with a club or something.  On second reading however, it does say that Murphy...Harry used the silver amulet he inherited from his mother in a sling shot spell to kill the Loup Garou.

Early speculation was that perhaps Harry had actually permanently ended the Loup Garou curse. Of course, nothing would be that simple.  That said, we have wondered if something special happened that night with Harry taking down that Loup Garou in that way other than of course killing the Loup Garou.

What has long made me curious as to what Mab was up to in Fool Moon was this...
Hmm...
Well, if I was to combine my Murphy/Mab theory with some of these events maybe she gave Murphy an assist when she went all Rambo like against the Loup Garou after one shotting Denton.  That wasn't part of the story told until Susan video taped it.
Hmm, you're right, and in the text of the actual event it made it seem clear that just the amulet that did him in; I remembered the part where she'd made her own silver bullets and had sort of combined the scenarios in my mind.  I really need to read the early ones more.  I find early murphy fairly abrasive compared to later on, so I tend to avoid them on my rereads.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2018, 01:54:49 PM »
I really need to read the early ones more.  I find early murphy fairly abrasive compared to later on, so I tend to avoid them on my rereads.

Yeah, she's just an obstructionist bureaucratic Law-man until at least Summer Knight. It makes sense she'd be so distrustful, at least in Storm Front, but after that? With all the supernatural whatsits she's seen? Come on. She fought a freaking giant scorpion while handcuffed to a wizard that was slinging fire around like nobody's business, and she doesn't think Harry deserves the benefit of the doubt?

Mostly, in my uninformed opinion, I think that Jim was still sticking very strictly to the formula he had developed out of contrariness to his professor. It took a few books for him to get it. I always told my students in a novel-writing course I taught, "The best way to learn how to write a book is to write a book, then several more."

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2018, 02:01:04 PM »
Hmm, you're right, and in the text of the actual event it made it seem clear that just the amulet that did him in; I remembered the part where she'd made her own silver bullets and had sort of combined the scenarios in my mind.  I really need to read the early ones more.  I find early murphy fairly abrasive compared to later on, so I tend to avoid them on my rereads.

Murphy wasn't just abrasive in the first couple books, she was a straight-up asshole, especially in Fool Moon.

Quote from: Fool Moon Chapter 12
I stared at the sketch. "Karrin," I began again. "Stars above, you've got to listen to me." I took the sketch from her hands, my fingers trembling.

"Harry," she said, in a calm tone. "You lying bastard," and on the word she drove her fist into my stomach, hard, doubling me over. The motion put my head within easy reach, and her fist took me across the jaw in a right cross that sent me to the floor like a lump of wet pasta, stars dancing in my vision.

I was only dimly aware of her taking the sketch back from me. She twisted my arms painfully behind my back, and snapped her handcuffs around my wrists. "You promised me," she said, her voice furious. "You promised. No secrets. You lied to me all along. You played me like a sucker the entire while. Godammit, Dresden, you're involved in this and people are dying."

"Murph," I mumbled. "Wait."

She grabbed my hair, jerked my head back, and slammed me across the jaw again, near-berserk anger lending her strength. My head swam, and blackness closed over my vision for several seconds.

"No more talking. No more lies," I heard her say, and she dragged me to my feet, shoved my face and chest against a wall, and began searching me for weapons. "No more people torn up like meat on a block. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law."

Like Jesus Karrin, what the shit? Harry was quite blatantly in shock when he saw Kim, he LED you to Macfinn, he's obviously not involved. If you'd actually managed to bring Harry in after that, he could have had your badge and been out of Cuffs within about a fucking hour.

That whole thing would have been dodgy at the best of times- no charges made at time of the arrest (she skips straight to reading his rights) so we're already looking at an illegal arrest- and the ties you have between him and the death are paper thin in any case. But on top of that, Assault and Police Brutality?

Anyone (including Dresden) that says Murphy was a good cop is full of shit.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 02:50:31 PM by forumghost »

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2018, 08:35:22 PM »
You don't need to tell someone what you're charging them with in order to arrest them.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2018, 09:26:55 PM »
She can arrest him if she has grounds (eg, she has reasonable suspicion he has committed a Serious Crime or will do so) Or if she has a Warrant. She has neither.

Her only 'Evidence' tying him to the scene is non-admissible given that it's a piece of paper that she's been carrying around in her pocket for several days because she was spying on him before she had any grounds to begin and investigation into his person. She knows for a fact that Harry is the worlds shittiest liar, he's quite obviously out of his head, and he's also the only reason they have anything at all on this case.

Let's not get into the Felony Assault and Police Brutality.