Author Topic: In this lifetime  (Read 16871 times)

Offline jimpruitt

• Lurker
    • View Profile
In this lifetime
« on: May 02, 2018, 09:12:36 AM »
I know this has been asked, moaned about ect. But damn is is there any info or an idea when PT is coming out. I know good books take time but this is a really long time. Really don't wanna complain but I have read and re-read all the DF books and codex alera so many times I am wearing out my hardback books. I even have ran through all the fire and ice again, most of my D&D, forgotten realms and mech warrior books and few others.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: In this lifetime
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 05:01:44 PM »
Even if the book was out tomorrow wouldn't that satisfy you for maybe a week, after which you'd have to wait 2-7 years for the next?

If there's something my half a million plus words of fanon stuf has taught me anything, it's that wait times and the writer needing a rest are a big thing even for something as simple as fanfiction. Creating the whole story and world from scratch? Most of us can hardly imagine how tough that is. So we wait, patiently, until the writers we love finally finish their masterpieces.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:05:32 PM by Belial666 »

Offline kat

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 05:29:49 AM »
time to expand your reading list.  He will finish when he does.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 03:53:24 PM »
I know this has been asked, moaned about ect. But damn is is there any info or an idea when PT is coming out. I know good books take time but this is a really long time. Really don't wanna complain but I have read and re-read all the DF books and codex alera so many times I am wearing out my hardback books. I even have ran through all the fire and ice again, most of my D&D, forgotten realms and mech warrior books and few others.
Sounds like Wheel of Time and the Cosmere should be on deck
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 05:58:56 PM »
Sounds like Wheel of Time and the Cosmere should be on deck
Heh. That'll take some doing.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline fenngibbon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 03:24:17 AM »
"In this lifetime" is rather a literal concern.

Given my age, family history, and general physical condition, I'm starting to get concerned that, if the Dresden Files is really designed to be a 20 book series, at the rate they're coming out I might not live to see the end of them.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 05:26:22 PM »
No worries. We'll have a seance here and do a public reading for all those who missed out.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 01:27:10 AM »
I make my wife tell my ashes how it ends.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 01:07:50 PM »
As I understand theology, so long as I maintain being a decent person, My afterlife is going to have a fully annotated set of the Dresden Files, regardless of when I kick it.  Also, Season Two of Firefly.  And maybe my own Green Lantern Ring...White Lantern Ring?

And if Im NOT a good person, it will still have a Complete Dresden Files, but they will devolve into weird slash fanfic between Thomas, Mavra, Edward Cullen, and half the Anita Blake cast, with me trying failing to turn the pages after my hands have been turned cloven. 

Moral of the Story:  Dont be an Asshole, and everything will turn out alright  8)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 05:01:26 PM »
In the recent Reddit AMA for Brief Cases-- and at one of the signings, too, I think-- Jim said that it's hard for him to write without his own home environment where he can go and shut everyone else out while he works. He said that he'd been building a house that was supposed to take nine months and ended up taking three years, but that it was finished now and he finally had his own writing space again(he apparently moved states to be near his fiance).

Jim said that after the signing tour is over, he thinks he'll be able finish Peace Talks before his wedding this September.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 05:18:19 PM »
In the recent Reddit AMA for Brief Cases-- and at one of the signings, too, I think-- Jim said that it's hard for him to write without his own home environment where he can go and shut everyone else out while he works. He said that he'd been building a house that was supposed to take nine months and ended up taking three years, but that it was finished now and he finally had his own writing space again(he apparently moved states to be near his fiance).

Jim said that after the signing tour is over, he thinks he'll be able finish Peace Talks before his wedding this September.
He also said he was almost halfway done.  Previously he's said he can write a book in three months, but that was back when they were a little shorter.  I wouldn't count on it being finished by then, but I'd welcome being wrong.  :)

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 09:15:14 PM »
He also said he was almost halfway done.  Previously he's said he can write a book in three months, but that was back when they were a little shorter.  I wouldn't count on it being finished by then, but I'd welcome being wrong.  :)

Well, if he only has half the book left to write and he has three months to write it in, then it sounds like, theoretically, he has twice as much time as he needs! I have hope. :)
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 09:39:32 PM »
Well, if he only has half the book left to write and he has three months to write it in, then it sounds like, theoretically, he has twice as much time as he needs! I have hope. :)
I believe what he said was that he had to finish the middle big battle, and then it was the long run to the end.  That doesn't necessarily mean that it's literally half the book.  It might be that more is done.  I'd consider the aquarium battle in SmF the "middle" big battle, but Harry's talk with Nick started at 58% and the battle finished at 66%. He could be anywhere in there, and maybe he's got the momentum.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 12:11:10 AM »
The mid-battle is often when Harry goes from defensive to offensive mode probably makes for a faster write.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 02:05:29 AM »
I won't live to see the end.  That's okay.  Neither will I live to see my great grandchildren grow up.  That's less okay.  It is what it is.  I'm suffering from series fatigue in any case.  I've made up my own endings just in case, and will adjust as he does whatever he decides to do.

I'll believe the Peace Talks is close when the cover art placeholder dies the death it deserves, replaced by real art.  Currently I'm spending my time doing an internal betting pool with my Id about who dies before the end.  Worthless but amusing.  Y'all carry on.