Author Topic: Your guess at secret power/mantles of the Council  (Read 11018 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Your guess at secret power/mantles of the Council
« on: April 25, 2018, 03:58:11 AM »
Jim has said that those on the Senior Council have secret powers that they don't tell anyone else about.  So just for fun based on the personalities/traits/ancestry of Council members what would you guess each of them have up their sleeves?  For example Injun Joe might have access to a powerful Mantle based on Native American lore.  Heck maybe Injun Joe IS Goodman Grey.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:08:44 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Your guess at secret power/mantles of the Council
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 11:46:03 AM »
We already know some of them ie the GateKeeper, the Blackstaff, and the Merlin. Here are some fun maybe serious others. 

Merlin Arthur Langtry - Supreme Bottle Cap Collector - Allows him to infinitely stack items.  So one million bottle caps appear as just one bottle cap.  Also works with other items. 

Ancient Mai - Dragon Princess - Allows her to commune with little d dragons and manipulate them. 

Injun Joe (LtW) - Genus Loci with Continental America/North America.  Obviously given the vast knowledge there and size it isn't as easy to communicate with as Harry and Alfred. 

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 06:03:55 PM »
We already know some of them ie the GateKeeper, the Blackstaff, and the Merlin.

Don't believe so.  According to Jim they keep their powers secret.  Gatekeeper, Blackstaff, and Merlin are well known.  So they probably have other abilities. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 07:13:32 PM »
Im actually still uncertain how "well known" the Blackstaff position really is.  Technically the only person that are confirmed to know besides McCoy and Harry is Kincaid, a seemingly immortal *Something* who's past and current employers would both have access to that sort of uber-secret knowledge.  We assume that the full SC would have to know or else the "License to Lawbreak" wouldnt be feasible, and there is strong implication that Arianna knew about it given she connected the dots from the satellite attack to McCoy specifically. 

But the whole concept of the Blackstaff would undermine the crap out of the Council if it were common knowledge, just as it nearly did to harry when he found out.  It would very much be a guarded state secret, if not a 100% perfectly kept one. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 08:36:11 PM »
Im actually still uncertain how "well known" the Blackstaff position really is.  Technically the only person that are confirmed to know besides McCoy and Harry is Kincaid, a seemingly immortal *Something* who's past and current employers would both have access to that sort of uber-secret knowledge.  We assume that the full SC would have to know or else the "License to Lawbreak" wouldnt be feasible, and there is strong implication that Arianna knew about it given she connected the dots from the satellite attack to McCoy specifically. 

But the whole concept of the Blackstaff would undermine the crap out of the Council if it were common knowledge, just as it nearly did to harry when he found out.  It would very much be a guarded state secret, if not a 100% perfectly kept one.

Jim worded it that not even other wizards know about the power...  Senior members know who the Blackstaff is, and who Gatekeeper is.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 10:16:24 PM »
I've said before that I like the idea of "Ancient" being a mantle rather than just an honorific.  A mantle passed down in a bloodline that contains knowledge and power, and the person to replace Mai would be the new "Ancient".  And that the knowledge and power itself helps keep the bearer alive longer, so there are few still alive when Mai took on the Ancient mantle.

I also like the idea of their being five or seven titles and mantles of Merlin, although the bearer doesn't actually have to be on the Senior Council.  He could have been Merlin, Gatekeeper, Blsckstaff, and Warden.  Maybe there's only one more, or maybe there's three more.  Five to match his magical system, or seven for the seven seats.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 10:48:16 PM »
We know there are actual outer gates, so I wonder if there is a border of life or river of time out there as well.
k moinuddin

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 12:52:29 AM »
We know there are actual outer gates, so I wonder if there is a border of life or river of time out there as well.
I'd say yes to both. 

Oceanus seems like the best bet for both.  It's the ocean "river" that encircles the world.  It abuts Erebos (Outside?) and the underworld (Hadesville). 

Time encircling the world as a river would be symbolically fitting as a divider between order and chaos.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 04:27:50 AM »
I'd say yes to both. 

Oceanus seems like the best bet for both.  It's the ocean "river" that encircles the world.  It abuts Erebos (Outside?) and the underworld (Hadesville). 

Time encircling the world as a river would be symbolically fitting as a divider between order and chaos.

Rashid has displayed playing around with Time...  Perhaps he's more than just the Gatekeeper.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 12:23:51 PM »
Eb was Blackstaff before he joined the Senior Council.

Langtry displayed the ability to communicate telepathically and faster than real-time.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 01:00:24 PM »
Not true. He became blackstaff "in 1884-1885 somewhere in there" but was the Captain of the Wardens prior to that (during the events of Fistful of Warlocks)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 07:23:35 PM by Quantus »
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 01:30:04 PM »

Are we saying that each SC seat has its own power boost.  Or are we saying that each SC wizard may have their own things?

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 03:17:30 PM »
Not true. He became blackstaff "in 1884-1885 somewhere in there" but was the Captain of the Wardens prior to that (during the events of Fistful of Warlocks)
Yeah, but Captain of the Wardens is not a member of the Senior Council.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 07:47:53 PM by peregrine »

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 07:02:55 PM »
I'd say yes to both. 

So Butters nailed it without even knowing it: life is a journey down the river of time, but someone left the door ajar so Outsiders could come in.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 07:24:16 PM »
So Butters nailed it without even knowing it: life is a journey down the river of time, but someone left the door ajar so Outsiders could come in.
It's what brought him to Uriel's attention.  That keen intellect.