Author Topic: Pea Stalks - Will this Character Die?  (Read 5840 times)

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Pea Stalks - Will this Character Die?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 01:16:49 AM »
Like Harry?

Even one of Lily's cohort mentioned that Lloyd wasn't as bad as he was at the beginning.  A lot (though not all) can probably be chalked up to the Mantle.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 01:30:56 AM »
Wasn't as bad is relative. Harry has an image by those that are familiar with the name but don't know the person as being as mad as Rasputin.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 03:19:53 PM »
I don't think Mab dies in Peace Talks. Her death is reserved for the BAT in my opinion. Like others have posted before me, I think Empty Night is where we see her sacrifice.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 06:28:11 AM »
If any of the Main Cast was slated to die in PT it'd be Murphy, since she's officially in a relationship with Dresden now, and that has not gone well for people historically. That said I'm pretty sure her Plot Armour is gonna hold up.

When Mab dies (and I'm like, 900% sure it is a when) I agree with the people that said it'll be for/around the BAT- specifically I think that it will be the thing that sets it off. Changes (the midpoint of the Series) ends with Harry's death. The last Case Book will end with Mab's as a Cliffhanger/Opener for the BAT.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:33:17 AM by forumghost »

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 02:13:21 PM »
If any of the Main Cast was slated to die in PT it'd be Murphy, since she's officially in a relationship with Dresden now, and that has not gone well for people historically. That said I'm pretty sure her Plot Armour is gonna hold up.

When Mab dies (and I'm like, 900% sure it is a when) I agree with the people that said it'll be for/around the BAT- specifically I think that it will be the thing that sets it off. Changes (the midpoint of the Series) ends with Harry's death. The last Case Book will end with Mab's as a Cliffhanger/Opener for the BAT.

That would be one heck of a cliffhanger and a frustrating wait for the first book of the BAT.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 11:24:06 PM »
That sounds right up Butcher's alley.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 01:14:06 AM »
Also it'll happen in a way that makes it all Harry's fault and leaves him genuinely sad, and not just because the world is splitting at the seams.

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 07:08:33 PM »

I agree and disagree. Murphy being next on the chopping block feels right. It would put Harry into agony, and the leagues in which he operates now are effectively out of hers.

The problem is the function she serves as a character. She's the primary reference we as readers have for how vanilla mortals look in the world juxtaposed with everything else. Without her, and without that perspective, we lose a sense of scale and a connection to normality. I think the series needs that, so removing her would weaken the narrative. She could be replaced, though.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2018, 12:13:39 AM »
We have lost alot of  "vanilla mortal" connection within the last 2 or 3 books. Less case catalyst and more fae mission focus.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2018, 08:45:49 AM »
My money's on Ebenezer joining the choir eternal.  He's Harry's real mentor.  Justin just taught Harry magic while Eb taught Harry what it means to be a wizard.  So I'm looking at the basic hero's journey.  At some point the hero losses the mentor and has to finish the journey on their own.  Ebenezer has given Harry political cover from the Merlin and others on the Senior Council for decades and he's explained to Harry how the Council works.  Harry's learned from other sources as well, but Eb gave Harry a basic understanding of the White Council's (stated) philosophy, values, and a basic understanding how it works on an everyday basis.   

If I wanted to flesh this idea out a bit more, I would add Harry will once more be working for the White Council; obstensiviley, helping Warden Ramirez with security for the upcoming talks with the Fomor, but we know his role will be involuntarily expanded into more than just being a high power security guard.  Also, Harry hasn't had anything to do with the Council for a couple of years, at least.  The last time we saw the Council it looked like it could split apart and we have no idea if the turmoil we saw in Changes had any lasting effect.  So right about now would be a good time for Harry to first be shocked by whatever changes he sees in the Council and then have the rug pulled out from under him by having the one person he could count on to always be in his corner in Council matters no longer be there for him.   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 11:21:24 AM »

If Jim wasn't just pulling our legs a couple of years ago about writing Murphy's funeral, she could be the one to go.  It would fit the pattern, love Harry and die...

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 01:56:13 PM »
I don't think it's Murphy's time yet. If she dies at all, it'll be after we get a sense of their dating relationship for a book or two. It's too soon—both in terms of amount of story told and in-universe time between entries (Peace Talks is six months after Skin Game). She'll probably still be in physical therapy/rehab after the beating she took in Skin Game, likely sidelined and unhappy about it. If Jim does decide to kill her off, I think it'll be the event that sends Harry into self-imposed exile, like the beginning of Summer Knight, but, you know, full retirement. I'm talking last Case File book. Harry's called out of retirement for the BAT. That's my guess, anyway.

Narratively speaking, I could say Ebenezer will bite it, but after he delivers ten to fifteen pages of crucial exposition. Background information on the Council, the Outsiders, Justin—whatever will push the metanarrative forward into the next cycle of books.

Personally, I think that Ebenezer will die at Ground Zero, surrounded by hundreds of charred corpses. Hmm. That could work for Peace Talks, actually. Harry could get sucked into the alternate timeline right at that moment, saving his life (and also making sure he doesn't have to hang around for the cleanup).