Author Topic: Dear Jim  (Read 21018 times)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Jim
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2018, 11:47:17 PM »
I'd like to see more fire, really. Harry used to be a bit of a pyromaniac. Maybe he'll make a flame ring that absorbs his body heat over time, or even converts kinetic energy if he doesn't want the ring to be perpetually cold, then unleash it in a huge, unexpected rain of FIRE!!!!
Ah, the sweet red rose. Burn baby burn
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2018, 08:02:28 PM »
The style hasn’t really changed. It’s still the exact same format and structure for every one of the stories. The main character is just dealing with larger scale stories now. But, the book structure itself is still the exact same paint by numbers formula. One change that I like is less of the “look at me be a private eye” stuff. That was his hook early on, but it’s served its purpose and the story moved passed it. His writing is better than it used to be, but it’s still not good.

As far as fans “sticking “ with it, that’s not really needed. If waiting is too much, just forget the series till the 2030s and, if you’re still alive then, take the opportunity to see if Butcher ever finished that series you used to read. If he has, you can read them. :)

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2018, 09:38:50 PM »
I can’t wait for Peace Talks.

:)
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2018, 07:01:15 PM »
I can’t wait for Peace Talks.

:)
Yeah, I don’t mind waiting, either. Right now, I’m listening to audiobooks of the Malazan series. Fantasy fans have probably already read it, but I hadn’t read a lot of fantasy in the past. If anyone hasn’t read it, I highly recommended it. The first book can be a bit of a chore, but every book gets better and better. And, I believe, the series is done. I’m near the end of book eight of ten now. The books are also pretty long, with the audio versions being 42+ hours each. I listen to them at night when my husband snores.  ;D

Offline Mpol

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2018, 03:50:28 AM »
I know it's been ages but damn if this book is a series highlight (which says so much given how good this series is) then th wait will be worth it.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2018, 02:52:29 PM »
I know it's been ages but damn if this book is a series highlight (which says so much given how good this series is) then th wait will be worth it.

I'm trying to temper my expectations, because I find that any level of hype before a long-awaited installment leads to a letdown. I am hoping for an installment that reintroduces Harry to the larger supernatural community beyond Winter, seeing some old faces, and Harry having to balance being a dad and boyfriend with being a wizard and the Winter Knight. Which should be exactly what we're getting.

Offline pcpoet

• Conversationalist
  • life is a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2018, 02:07:41 AM »
I think in the next book we will get a lot more of the old harry. there was just so much fall out from chances that it has taken harry time to find his footing....I am betting that we will be seeing a lot of harry being a dad in peace talks along with a milt down of the supernatural community.
I am who I am that's all that I am from my head to my toe that's all that I am.

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2018, 06:15:37 PM »
If he writes them for the next twenty years and never completes them i'll still be happier than if he F@*)s it up by cutting it too short though. I've seen series ruined by trying to crunch a story into the allotted books and failing. *cough*inheritance cycle*cough*
Even Sanderson has fallen for this one. Anyone else read The Reckoners? It was good until the last book, and then it seemed like he forgot he had to finish the series until about half way through so he crammed it all together and didn't read back over it.
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"