Author Topic: Saints  (Read 12549 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Saints
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2018, 11:56:03 AM »
I also would say that in my opinion a Saint would be using Creation based magic (not corrupted by dark magic).  In other words I don't think a wizard who's devout to the old gods, or a dark god could be a Saint.
Especially with this new definition of Saint from Jim, I really dont think a Saint is going to be at all restricted to Heaven, Creation, or any of the Abramhic themes.  Those will be present and well represented, granted, but they would not be restricted to the Christian world; there will be eastern ones too, and african shaman, and probably a variety of them in South America (pre-changes) where Faith is a more critical survival tool. 

I'd be willing to bet money that whatever old tibetan priest-monk is in charge of the place Mouse came from could easily be a Saint, for example. 

On a darker side, a true Believer in the historic worship of Odin is not going to be a nice person by modern standards, and almost certainly will have more destructive capabilities than creative ones (though they might be an decent poet). 

And that's just things that we'd still call the "Good Side",  but there are literal "Dark Gods" locked up in Demonreach and they all presumably had worshipers once upon a time, some of which likely also had magic and no other school of thought to provide them with the Control they need. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2018, 01:56:38 PM »
What passage are you looking at in GP?  The one I found was Blue there too.  That I recall it's always somewhere on the spectrum from Blue up to a more blinding white (though that might have only been Charity, not Harry)
Was it? I'll take your word for it. I didn't have the book in front of me, but I remembered the light being different in Grave Peril and Fool Moon.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2018, 02:17:16 PM »
And that's just things that we'd still call the "Good Side",  but there are literal "Dark Gods" locked up in Demonreach and they all presumably had worshipers once upon a time, some of which likely also had magic and no other school of thought to provide them with the Control they need.

If nothing else, it makes a lot more sense now how the Loup Garou curse could have been originally a saint's work, when taking away the free will of an entire bloodline worth of hosts to make them into murderous beasts is antithetical to the Almighty's values.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2018, 06:25:16 PM »
What is called a Saint in the Abrahamic traditions might be called a hero in other faiths.  The greek heroes might have been practitioners.

Also, a saint might not have been a full-fledged wizard. He might have been more like a one-trick-pony, like Bender, the Alphas or Mort.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2018, 07:03:44 PM »
If nothing else, it makes a lot more sense now how the Loup Garou curse could have been originally a saint's work, when taking away the free will of an entire bloodline worth of hosts to make them into murderous beasts is antithetical to the Almighty's values.
Are you sure about that? He has his moments.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2018, 07:07:50 PM »
What is called a Saint in the Abrahamic traditions might be called a hero in other faiths.  The greek heroes might have been practitioners.

Also, a saint might not have been a full-fledged wizard. He might have been more like a one-trick-pony, like Bender, the Alphas or Mort.

No...  according to Jim they are wizards.  you are not a wizard if you are a one trick pony.

We don't know how, or why this happened..  We don't know if it backfired either...  It may not have started off as a curse.  The original Loup Garou may have had full control of it's faculties and have been an incredible warrior.  Who's word do we have about the Loup?  Chauncy, a demon.  Not exactly the most reliable source. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:12:22 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2018, 08:40:38 PM »
Don't forget that God isn't all sunshine and smiles all the time. There is such a thing as Divine Wrath. Cursing a whole bloodline is nothing to killing off all firstborn of an entire nation.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2018, 09:27:17 PM »
No...  according to Jim they are wizards.  you are not a wizard if you are a one trick pony.
It was worded quite differently in the quotes above... A sorcerer is pretty much the same category as one trick pony, Look at Aristides too. Saint conveys the method of use, not the quality of ingredients to begin.
We don't know how, or why this happened..  We don't know if it backfired either...  It may not have started off as a curse.  The original Loup Garou may have had full control of it's faculties and have been an incredible warrior.  Who's word do we have about the Loup?  Chauncy, a demon.  Not exactly the most reliable source.
Plus, every 'feeds on bloodline curse we know of, is cast by using the thaumaturgical connection to said family to pull in them as a source of power anyway... So how do we know he didn't contain the beast by binding it to his own blood, curse thereby empowered by said connection too? Perhaps what the Loup was a manifestation of was more dangerous without a stable host? Certainly the Loup was one of the more frighteningly powerful beings we've come across, because it could violate free will without direct repercussion as it was simultaneously Macfinn and the Beast.
(click to show/hide)
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2018, 12:34:49 AM »
Don't forget that God isn't all sunshine and smiles all the time. There is such a thing as Divine Wrath. Cursing a whole bloodline is nothing to killing off all firstborn of an entire nation.

'Sorry, your time's up' is different from basically mind-raping the poor unfortunates though.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2018, 01:16:59 AM »
Was it? I'll take your word for it. I didn't have the book in front of me, but I remembered the light being different in Grave Peril and Fool Moon.
In GP, he shoots white fire once (early on), channels power into his blasting rod until it glows white (final battle), and has a blue-white light shine several times.

In FM, the lumination spell was blue-white, and the blasting rod glowed iridescent white another time.

The only significant entry in FM was the spell that took out the Loup.
My magic. That was at the heart of me.   It was a manifestation of what I believed, what I lived. It came from my desire to see to it that someone stood between the darkness and the people it would devour. It came from my love of a good steak, from the way I would sometimes cry at a good movie or a moving symphony. From my life. From the hope that I could make things better for someone else, if not always for me. Somewhere, in all of that, I touched on something that wasn’t tapped out, in spite of how horrible the past days had been, something that hadn’t gone cold and numb inside of me. I grasped it, held it in my hand like a firefly, and willed its energy out, into the circle I had created with the spinning amulet on the end of its chain. It began to glow, azure-blue like a candle flame. The light spread down the chain and to the amulet, and when it reached it the light became incandescent, the pentacle a brilliant light at the end of the chain, spinning a circle of light around me, trailing motes of dust that fell like starlight to the grass around me.
I kept the amulet whirling, spraying motes of light, the brilliant white pentacle at the end of a leash of blue light.
The pentacle flew toward the loup-garou like a comet, incandescent white, and struck the creature’s breast like lightning hammering into an ancient tree. There was a flash of light, too much power unleashed in a flaring of energy as the mystic substance shattered the loup-garou’s invulnerability, carved into it, coursed through it in a blinding blue-white shower of sparks. Blue fire erupted from its chest, its black heart’s blood ignited into blinding flame, and the creature screamed, arching backward in agony.
It looks like the pentacle was glowing white, but the chain was blue.  So his raw power was blue, but when it hit the symbol of his faith in magic, it turned white.  So... Maybe?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2018, 04:58:46 AM »
'Sorry, your time's up' is different from basically mind-raping the poor unfortunates though.
It is nothing compared to everlasting torture in hell.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2018, 06:17:02 AM »
In GP, he shoots white fire once (early on), channels power into his blasting rod until it glows white (final battle), and has a blue-white light shine several times.

In FM, the lumination spell was blue-white, and the blasting rod glowed iridescent white another time.

The only significant entry in FM was the spell that took out the Loup.It looks like the pentacle was glowing white, but the chain was blue.  So his raw power was blue, but when it hit the symbol of his faith in magic, it turned white.  So... Maybe?
That whole scene is wrapped up in Thor mythology, 'like a lightning struck oak tree'. I'm predicting Mjolnir was a manifestation of Hope/duty(hence why he couldn't lift it when he wasn't worthy). Charlie Brown has got to try regardless of if Lucy is going to pull the ball out or not...
We know basically you have to believe in your own magic to make it work, But his applies a brand of why it should on the deepest levels that tie directly into his belief in magic itself.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2018, 01:28:02 PM »

The only significant entry in FM was the spell that took out the Loup.It looks like the pentacle was glowing white, but the chain was blue.  So his raw power was blue, but when it hit the symbol of his faith in magic, it turned white.  So... Maybe?

Okay, so I'm not entirely nuts (at least, not because of this anyway). I was thinking about the Pentacle tossing. His blasting rod turning white is, as far as I know, just due to white-hot flame.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2018, 01:59:23 PM »
Ya, his fire was just fire with colors relative to its intensity, at least until Hellfire and Soulfire came into play and started futzing with it. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain